• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sixty-two wake up call
12-13-2015, 01:15 AM,
Sixty-two wake up call
Well last month I hit retirement age. At least for those who want to retire at sixty-two. Wink

A week ago, after a night of not being able to breath,  I drove myself to the emergency room to find that I was not suffering from allergies. I wanted them to give me meds to help in my breathing.
Instead they told me that I had Congestive Heart Failure. Rolling Eyes 
A zillion tests over the weekend, released on Monday. Tuesday a nuclear stress test followed by a cardio cath. on Friday.
Yes, CMF with clear arteries and working valves. The heart muscle was weakened to 28%.

Funny. I do not feel that bad. Shortness of breath when I exert myself. But, otherwise I feel normal.
A life style change ahead, which started last Saturday. Whistle 

Just wanted to let you all know that I am doing OK. Resumed PBEM games. And, am getting caught up on forums and other entertainment.

Word to the wise, if I may. Partying and thinking you are forty (at sixty) may not be the best thing to do. Keep healthy. Eat healthy. Do all things in moderation.
Otherwise your options will be very limited. Whip

I am working hard to get back to work. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Smile

Farmer

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2015, 02:07 AM,
RE: Sixty-two wake up call
Wow Ed!!

Didn't expect to ever see this post. I knew you had some issues a while back with your arm and were working to deal with that situation. But this is a wake up call and I'm hearing what you are saying.

About 1 months ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer after getting a high PSA test reading twice this year. Lucky for me it was caught in time. Its stage one with a Gleason score of 7 and is confined to one lobe of the prostate. In the next month or so I'll be going into surgery for prostate removal. The prognosis is very good and the doctors don't believe it has spread. With my numbers it would be unheard of if it did but I am still very concerned. I hope it has not spread believe me!!

Same thing here, getting tested for issues is very important especially as you get into your 60's. Get your PSA checked yearly. Prostate cancer is the second leading killer of men next to lung cancer as cancers go. Also what you say Ed is very true. Do everything in moderation, eat right, exercise, get plenty of sleep and enjoy life because it can be short if your not careful.

Thanks Ed for sharing your thoughts!

God's speed going forward!!

John
12-13-2015, 03:19 AM,
Glad to hear you've both caught your problems and are being treated. I know quite a few people who have gone through the same things and are still going strong, so I'm sure you'll both be fine. 

Think maybe I'll go for a walk now.  Smile

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-13-2015, 06:04 AM,
Thanks guys! Sorry to hear of your plight John.
Before my CHF was diagnosed I had already been through two x-rays and two MRI's.
Waiting on the back burner is an abdominal tumor, torn hip muscle with hernia, and an unusually enlarged prostate in the front left quad. My PSA was as low as a man who does not have a prostate, so there was much concern by all.
This new issue came as we were about to discuss what to do first on those three issues.

So it is fix the heart first and move on to the rest. Whistle

On top of it all  that was an x-ray showing I have severe arthritis in my hips too. Hip replacement in a few years, I'm told.
When it rains it pours? Propeller Hat

One day at a time! Farmer

Who said, "better to burn out than fade away"?

Good luck! Thumb Up2

HSL
12-13-2015, 07:00 AM,
Get well Ed! Neil Young said that, but he's no way fading away either!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-13-2015, 07:01 AM,
And you too John! That is an order.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-13-2015, 07:55 AM,
Neil said it when he was "young" too! Rolling Eyes
Just sayin' Wink

Farmer

HSL
12-28-2015, 01:49 AM,
Ouch...you went a short ways for that pun Ed...;O)
Love Neil Young...his only problem was...he wasn't Steven Stills...and it appeared to piss him off somehow...?

Nothing wrong with being a rage filled machine, it worked for Neil!
12-28-2015, 04:37 AM,
"I wanna live with a Cinnamon Girl, I can be happy the rest of my life with a Cinnamon Girl..." Whistle
12-28-2015, 06:41 AM,
(12-13-2015, 01:15 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Well last month I hit retirement age. At least for those who want to retire at sixty-two. Wink

A week ago, after a night of not being able to breath,  I drove myself to the emergency room to find that I was not suffering from allergies. I wanted them to give me meds to help in my breathing.
Instead they told me that I had Congestive Heart Failure. Rolling Eyes 
A zillion tests over the weekend, released on Monday. Tuesday a nuclear stress test followed by a cardio cath. on Friday.
Yes, CMF with clear arteries and working valves. The heart muscle was weakened to 28%.

Funny. I do not feel that bad. Shortness of breath when I exert myself. But, otherwise I feel normal.
A life style change ahead, which started last Saturday. Whistle 

Just wanted to let you all know that I am doing OK. Resumed PBEM games. And, am getting caught up on forums and other entertainment.

Word to the wise, if I may. Partying and thinking you are forty (at sixty) may not be the best thing to do. Keep healthy. Eat healthy. Do all things in moderation.
Otherwise your options will be very limited. Whip

I am working hard to get back to work. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Smile

Farmer

HSL
Best of wishes for a return to health in the coming years.  it can be done but you have to work at it.  What sort of exercise program do they have you on?  I have found walking and recumbent bicycling helped me a lot. What meds do they have you on?  I was put on COREG many years ago and with exercise and proper diet got my ejection fraction up to mid 60s from 22.  Been off my blood pressure meds for years.  Also gave up smoking and any alcohol over 20 years ago (which probably didn't hurt) so if you haven't LOL .