• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NGP85 "81: Better Dead than Red v1.1"
07-11-2018, 02:20 AM,
RE: NGP85 "81: Better Dead than Red v1.1"
FROM COMCENTAG

TO COM4ATAF, COMVCorps, COM VII Corps, COM Territorialkommando Süd.

110100ZMay1981
FRAGO

SITUATION:

A: Enemy Forces.

1: Enemy composition, strenght and disposition.
Two enemy armies, comprising a Soviet army (1st GTA) and an East German army (3rd Army), with at least 9 divisions between them (the Soviet 6th GTD, 7th GTD, 79th GTD, 9th TD, 27th GMRD and the East German 4. MRD and 7. PD being positively identified here) is attacking the two divisions of the US VII Corps. In addition, an enemy airborne division has landed at Schweinfurt immediately behind the frontline, threatening the seam between the GE 12th Panzer Div. and the US 3rd Inf. Div.

2: Enemy Capabilities and Limitations.
NIL

3: Enemys most likely and most dangerous course of action.
Enemy most likely course of action is continued attacks in order to open up the Meiningen Gap for further advances. Enemy most dangerous course of action is to use the newly landed airborne to push into the seam between the GE 12. Panzer Division and the US 3rd ID, thus splitting the US VII Corps in two, possibly pocketing one of the divisions, which will lead to its destruction.

B: Friendly Forces.

1: Higher HQs mission and intent.
In order to stop the WAPA ground offensive COMAFCENT has authorized the assignment of further strikemissions from 4ATAF.

2: Adjacent Units.
NIL

3: Supporting.
Due to the nature of the current tactical and operational situation, 4ATAF will switch fighter-bomber assets from their current air-superiority and counter-air missions, and make them available for the CENTAG tactical commanders on the ground. This will take effect from first light at 110400Z May1981

C: Attachments/Detachments.
As of 102300Z May1981 The following detachments and attachments will take place:
-The 4th Brigade/4th Infantry Division/US V Corps will come under COCOM of VII Corps. The entirety of the 4th Infantry Div. will thus be committed to the VII Corps sector. The sole Corps reserve of the US V Corps will thus be the 11th ACR once it has been withdrawn from its screening tasks.

-IV Heimatschutzkommando(-) will come under TACOM of US VII Corps. IV HSK comprises the following units:
--54. Heimatschutzbrigade
--64. Heimatschutzbrigade
--Pionierbrigade 114
--Artilleriebrigade 104.

MISSION:
VII Corps will hold its ground to the extent possible and will only fall back to phaselines further west if no other options are available or if major subunits are faced with encirclement and/or annihilation.

EXECUTION:

A: Commanders Intent.

VII Corps is currently outnumbered 4:1 (10 WAPA divisions to 2.5 NATO ones). It is thus vitally important that further actions be taken before NATO forces in this area collapses.

B: Concept of Operations.

1: Scheme of Maneuver.
As of 110100Z May1981 US VII Corps will take command of the additional forces as outlined above. The W-German Territorialheer units will primarily focus on combating the airborne incursion, while the additional 4th Brigade/4th ID will slide in behind the 12. Panzer Div. in order to backstop it and prevent a breakthrough.

2: Fire Support Plan.
US VII Corps will have priority with regard to 4ATAF strike assets.

C: Tasks.
NIL

D: Coordinating Instructions.
NIL

LOGISTICS:
The 4th Infantry Div. will now draw its supply entirely through VII Corps COSCOM. Wehrbereichskommando IV will draw its supply through its national supply network.

Signals:

A: Signals.
Wehrberiechskommando IV will establish communications with the US VII Corps HQ and subordinate Div. HQs.

B: Command.
NIL
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2018, 02:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 02:28 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
Players musings after the first 24 hours of combat:

Well, the first day has elapsed and results are positive, albeit somewhat mixed. The attack definitely hit before I was fully ready: The REFORGER units needed to backstop both American Corps sectors had not arrived yet, and the obstacle plans in all three Corps sectors had not been completed either.

[Image: 24Hours.png]

This is the overall situation after 24 hours. As can be seen, the GE III Korps and US V Corps sectors are holding good and I have only been forced to give up small strips of territory in these sectors. In the US VII Corps sector the situation is less than ideal, although not critical. The pressure here has forced me to give up a lot of ground, in order to avoid my units being cut off and destroyed against the southern edge of the map (in a larger campaign this would not have been important, since I would have been able to retreat to the south/southwest into the areas that are currently off-map). The blue squares moving from the NATO rear towards the front are german Territorialheer units and REFORGER brigades from the 4th ID. The deep blue line moving N-S in the NATO rear is the Rhine river. The yellow squares are objectives (the most important of which are, not surprisingly, in the NATO rear, clustered on or near the Rhine)

Just to recap my current dispositions and likely threats, since a lot has happened in this regard:

To the north the West German III Korps is holding a line north along the Fulda and Weser Rivers. The Covering Force battle is still ongoing here, so the enemy has been bled without even having seen my main line of defence yet. The GE III Korps consists of:

-2. Panzergrenadier Division
-5. Panzer Division.
-Luftlandebrigade 25.
-Corps troops (Artillery Brigade, Anti-Tank Helicopter Battalion, Engineer Brigade, Long-Range Recon Company)

They are faced with the Polish 2nd Army/Slaski Military Dictrict composed of:

-2. Mechanized Division.
-4. Mechanized Division.
-5. Armor Division.
-10. Armor Division.
-Likely another division.
-Army Troops (Engineer Brigade, Antitank Regiment, Artillery Brigade).

Overall things aren´t looking to bad here, even if it turns out he has a fifth division. The odds are, at worst, 2:1 against me, with the terrain on my sides (plenty of rivers, hills and low mountains with easily blocked roads to facilitate my defence). In addition, the polish units are mostly equipped with older equipment which is easier to kill. Unless he gets lucky or reinforces his forces here I am confident that I can hold.

In the US V Corps sector the situation is somewhat similar. About half the Corps sector is buttressed by the Fulda River, with the remainder anchored on the low mountains of the Rhön. The only really open piece of ground is through the Fulka Gap itself, and that is blocked by my forces. The Covering Force is battle mostly over here though, and the enemy is about to test my main defensive line. The US V Corps consist of:

-3rd Armored Division
-8th Infantry Division
-11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
-Corps Troops (2xArtillery Brigades, Engineer Brigade, Attack Helicopter Battalion)
-A company of Special Forces (strictly not part of V Corps, but operating in the sector).

They are faced with the attacking 8th Guards Army composed of:

-20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division.
-39th Guards Motorized Rifle Division.
-57th Guards Motorized Rifle Division
-Likely a fourth, possibly East German, division
-Army Troops (Engineer Brigade, Artillery Brigade, Antitank Regiment, Attack Helicopter Regiment)

Again, things are hardly critical here. Odds are about 3:2 and even if there is an extra divison lurking it is no worse than 2:1, and again the terrain here is on my side. I feel conficent of holding here as well, even if the soviet units are better than the polish, since I can likely dish out more damage to him faster than he can to me. The thing that might slew the odds against me here would be the commitment of some kind of airborne envelopment or the appeareance of more troops (DUH!).

In the US VII Corps sector things are looking less rosy. The Covering Force battles are mostly over, I have been forced to cede defensible ground voluntarily and the odds are stacked against me. In addition, the terrain I was hoping to anchor my defence on has proved either indefensible due to lack of numbers or have been compromised by enemy troops airlanding behind me. This has put my ability to hold my main defensive line here into question, and I might have to fall back. The US VII Corps consist of:

-GE 12. Panzer Division
-US 3rd Infantry Division
-US 1st Infantry Division (only one brigade present, rest arriving later)
-US 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment.
-US 194th Armored Brigade (arriving later)
-US 4th Infantry Division (3 brigades plus divisional troops moving up, 1 brigade still to arrive from the US). Attached from US V Corps.
-1st Battalion/75th Ranger Regiment.
-GE Wehrbereichskommando IV (parts), consisting of artillery brigade, 2 mechanized brigades, and an engineer brigade.
-GE Wehrberiechskommando VI (parts), consisting of a motorized infantry regiment.

They are facing two WAPA armies. First up is the 1st Guards Tank Army:

-79th Guards Tank Division
-9th Tank Division
-27th Motorized Rifle Division
-6th Guards Tank Division
-7th Guards Tank Division
-106th Guards Airborne Division (probably not strictly part of 1st GTA, but I am counting it here for the purpose of calculating the correlation of forces)
-Army Troops (Engineer Brigade, Artillery Brigade, Antitank Regiment, Attack Helicopter Regiment)

Second is the East German 3. Army/Militärbezirk III:

-4. Motschützendivision
-7. Panzerdivision
-Likely a third division
-Possibly a fourth (based on the number of HQs shown by SIGINT).

The odds are bad here at the moment. I have at least 8-10 divisions attacking into the US VII Corps sector at the moment, with more possibly lying in wait, and I have but the equivalent of 3 division with which to oppose them. In addition most of these enemy divisions are Tank Divisions with a very large number of modern T64 tanks, which are equal or better than my own tanks. In the short term I will be reinforced here with 4 brigades more (2 from 4th ID, 2 Heimatshützbrigades), which will bring my numbers up to 4.3 divisions and the odds to a more managable 2:1 (the W-German Heimatschütz units are partially composed of reservists though, and might be a bit shaky if not anchored on the defence). In the end, once all reinforcements have arrived in this sector in 48 hours, my strenght will rise to 5.6 divisions and the odds will fall to 3:2, which should ensure that his offensive here fails, barring any more enemy troops showing up of course.
The problem here is, that I am momentarily caught wrong-footed, both by my lack of forces, but also by him landing an entire division behind me. Most of this airlanded units are foot-mobile, but there is also assault guns and infantry mounted in BMD fighting vehicles present. I am still hoping to hold along the Main river between Schweinfurt and Bamberg, but if the worst comes to the worst, I will have to retreat back behind the next bend in the Main river (between Würzburg and Schweinfurt, where the Main river has a peculiar run, from running N to S, then running towards the NE, before bending again at Schweinfurt and running SE towards Bamberg. If push comes to shove I will then withdraw behind the Main river at Würzburg, with the line between here and Fulda buttressed by the low Rhön mountains.

Remaining units of the W-German Territorialheer are guarding the V-hexes in the rear from any coup-descent by enemy airborne or special forces.

As regards the Sudden-Death-Victory Condition (I must loose less than 10000 points from objectives to WAPA before turn 33), this is looking relatively good as well. We are currently at turn 22, with another day (11 turns) to go. I have so far lost 3000 points from Göttingen (in the northern GE III Korps sector), Coburg and Hof (both in the southern US VII Corps sector), although all three locations have been give up voluntarily as indefensible. I am likely to lose another 1000 points from Schweinfurt in the near future, since I likely cannot prevent the 106th GABD from taking the city. The one place I absolutely cannot afford to lose here is Kassel in the GE III Korps sector, since it is both worth 5000 points and lies near the border (the Fulda river runs through it). I can still afford to lose cities like Fulda and Bamberg, since those are only worth 1000 points a piece.

Overall the situation is far from hopeless. I have issued a facekicking to my opponent and caused far greater casulaties than I have suffeered. On top of this one REFORGER division (4th ID) has almost arrived and the remainder (1st ID(-) plus the 194th Armored Brigade) will arrive in 36 hours. In addition, the number of strike-missions I have available will continue to rise in the next couple of days, as more fighter-bombers (mostly USAF F-4 Phantoms) will fly in from the US. If I can only hold on for another day, the sudden death victory condition will disappear, and I will get another division with which to kick my opponent. Once this happens I should be able to hold my own at the very least and possibly even be able to conduct small counterattacks in order to restore my defensive line.

That was it. Bring on the second day!
Send this user an email
07-11-2018, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 02:41 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
Players notes and considerations.

This turn is Night (01 am to 04 am). Visibility is still only 1 hex (1,5 kilometers). Most units have been able to replenish their fuel during the night, but a few are still lacking. Nothing of major tactical importance though.

With the end of the enemy airborne operation, the missing REFORGER units of the 4th Infantry Division can finally land. This means that most of the Divisional troops of the 4th ID, including the artillery, remainder of the divisional cavalry squadron, engineers and attack helicopters are now ready to join the fray. They still have to conduct a road march across most of West Germany though, but by choosing less conspicous routes, they are able to avoid the Soviet special forces that has been such a pest in the past. Only one brigade of the 4th ID is now missing from the field.

[Image: REFORGER.png]

In the area west of Göttingen the Covering Force continues to withdraw, pursued by the Polish 10. Armor and 2. Mech. Div. The problem here is now less one of trying to delay the enemy and more one of making sure that all units get back safely across the Weser and Fulda rivers. The pressure of over 24 hours of nonstop combat is beginning to show here, and the enemy ability to constantly cycle in fresh units means that a retreat behind my main line of resistance is only a matter of hours away.

[Image: Sitrep1.png]

Further to the south the action dies down a bit. The combined 5. PzG. and 13. PzG. Brigade Covering Force continues to withdraw slightly in the face of the advancing Polish 5. Arm. and 4. Mech. Div. Further to the south in the US V Corps sector, American patrols and outposts reveal Soviet engineer units and mechanized infantry snuggling into Bebra, no doubt in preparation for a crossing of the Fulda.

[Image: Sitrep2.png]

At Bad Hersfeld things are rapidly going to pot as my Covering Force receives a mauling. The 3-36 Infantry Battalion is overrun, and many helicopters are shot down while trying to evacuate the infantry. Overall the battalion has now suffered in excess of 80% casualties and will need a long period of rebulding before being ready again. In addition, 3 Cobra Attack Helicopters of the 11th ACR supporting the withdrawal are shot down by WAPA airdefences. Great.... Giving up the Covering Force battle here, most of the US 3rd AD and 11th ACR units withdraw back across the Fulda, blowing the bridge at Bad Hersfeld behind them. Further to the west, two american armor battalions plus attack helicopters continue to contest the approaches to the Fulda river.

[Image: Sitrep3.png]

In front of Fulda the 39th GMRD presses forwards fitfully. The most dangerous threat here comes from the T64 equipped Tank Regiment advancing south of the ”Gap”, but the congested terrain of the Rhön means that the American tankers of the 8th ID have little trouble stopping them. A BMP equipped Motorrifle Regiment tries to probe the approaches to Fulda itself, but gets stopped by the 11th ACR and 8th ID.

[Image: Sitrep6.png]

In the Meiningen Gap things have begun to go as I feared they might. The combination of two identified WAPA Tank Divisions combined with a battle weary 12. Panzer Div. plus an airborne threat to their rear and flanks, have prompted a withdrawal to the next phaseline, which runs through Bad Neustadt proper and through the forested heights south of the city. But this is likely only the beginning. Barring rapid reinforcement, I will be forced to fall back to the next phaseline in the forested hills east of Bad Kissingen and then onto Bad Kissingen itself. Luckily the terrain here mostly favors the defence, except in the open areas between Würzburg and Schweinfurt, but by falling back I have to give up the obstacles and fortifications I spent so much effort erecting. I still manage to exact a price, since VII Corps artillery wipes out a company of engineers trying to clear the minefields blocking the road leading towards Bad Neustadt.

[Image: Sitrep5.png]

To the south of here the fight to contain the 106th GABD continues. To the north of the Main river the 762. Jägerbataillon, supported by Company C/1st Ranger Battalion is forced to give up the Victory Hex at Schweinfurt in order to avoid being encircled. Once the enemy occupies this, as he no doubt will, I will have lost 4000 points from objectives out of 10000. The presence of the 106th GABD´s assault gun battalion (with SU-85 assault guns) supports the notion that the majority of the 106th GABD is located north of the Main. This means, that only a single regiment is south of the river. Seizing this opportunity, the 3rd Brigade/1st Infantry Division launches a spirited counterattack towards Schweinfurt from the south. The two mechanized infantry battalions, supported by a single company of tanks and a battalion of 155mm self-propelled guns succedds in attacking, driving back and destroying an enemy paratrooper company in BMD combat vehicles from the village of Gochsheim S of Schweinfurt. The Brigade is now poised to continue the attack, with more of my troops looking to join the fray as well. If all goes well, I should at least be able to limit this airborne infestation to the areas north of the Main. Further to the east, the 34. Panzer Brigade and the 3rd Brigade/3rd ID continue to give ground grudgingly against the 27th GMRD, primarily because the tactical reserves backing this line up has been sucked up against the 106th GABD and because an enemy breakthrough here might mean a brigade or more being cut off and destroyed east of the Main river. To the north the 36. Panzer Brigade holds the line though, inflicting a severe price in destroyed T62s on the 27th GMRD. In addition, the Reconnaisance Battalion of the 12. Panzer Div. is tasked with guarding the divisions rear against marauding Soviet airborne troops.

[Image: Sitrep4.png]

North of Bamberg the 6th GTD continues to probe the NATO lines along the Main. This draws out a heavy response from the US 3rd ID Covering Force, which destroys a number of T64 tanks for no losses to themselves. Properly chastened most of the 6th GTD armor withdraws out of sight. This being settled, the final bridge across the Main to the north of Bamberg is blown.

[Image: Contact2.png]

[Image: Contact3.png]

To the east further HQs, likely from the 7th GTD, can be seen. One of the HQs, situated in the village of Weidhausen, gets taken under fire by the M109 howitzer battery attached to the 2nd Squadron/2 ACR, which wrecks the surrounding town and makes it impossible to conduct roadmarches through the rubble choked streets. That should at least slow him down some.

[Image: Sitrep7.png]

The withdrawing 2nd ACR units briefly make contact with an East German 7. Panzer Div reconnaisance unit checking out the status of the bridge across the Main south of Kulmbach. Finding it blown, the unit turns back after calling in some artillery.

[Image: Contact1.png]

The number of HQs identified by SIGINT here remains high, prompting suspicions that more East German units are lurking out there.

[Image: Sitrep8.png]

And the enemy receives another kick in the teeth. The discrepancy between the actual number of VPs and the number he gets from objectives is now beyond 1000 points. That means, that the loss of an entire 1000 VP location, such as Coburg or Hof has now been weighed up by the number of casualties inflicted by me on him. If this course of action holds true, he should be down another 1000 points in the next 24 hours. I can only hope that this level of attrition will wear him out before it does me! Next turn dawn will return and with that the return of air operations...

[Image: Score.png]
Send this user an email
07-11-2018, 02:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 03:01 AM by JDR Dragoon.)

This turn is Dawn (04 am to 06 am). Visibility is still only 1 hex (1,5 kilometers). A few units still need refuelling, but again nothing too problematic.

I am a little miffed that the enemy special forces continue to elude and irritate me, since HQ 4th ID and most of the associated logistic units were stopped by a roadblock of felled trees west of Worms on their way to the front...

The good thing is that more airpower is coming online, as dual-purpose fighter bomber units switch from air-superiority tasks to close air support. 4. ATAF reports the following units available: One Wing of Luftwaffe F4F Phantoms (JagdbomberGeschwader 35, with 2 Staffels/Squadrons) and one Wing of F4E Phantoms from the USAF (50th Tactical Fighter Wing w. 3 Squadrons). With their loads of napalm, bombs and clusterbombs they will provide a wellcome addition to my airborne armada. It might still be possible to free up even more dual-purpose units later, with the influx of air-superiority fighters arriving from CONUS.

In the GE III Corps sector the Covering Force units are now falling back towards, Münden, Kassel and Melsungen (erronously labelled on the map as Hann. Münden). I reckon that I must withdraw the Covering Forces at Münden (w. of Göttingen) and Melsungen, while the Panzerbrigade 14 south of Kassel will likely be able to hold (but do I want that, since I might need it in reserve to counter the expected crossings of the Weser and Fulda rivers?). With the sun coming up, enemy close air support begins in earnest again, with sustained strikes against Luftlandebrigade 26 and Panzerbrigade 14. This causes losses, but also means that the W-German Korps area AA defences shoot down 3 SU7 fighter-bombers! My own answer, consisting af bomb-armed Alphajets and Phantoms directed against the Polish 10. Arm. Div. causes heavy casualties among the BMP equipped infantry battalion hit, but the Alphajets are badly scattered by the enemys AA defences and will likely take some time before they are ready again. The number of enemy units reported moving along the roads towards Hessisch-Lichtenau suggests, that a reinforcing division might be moving up.

In the US V Corps sector the remaining US Covering Forces withdraw across the Fulda, blowing the last bridge. Meanwhile WAPA bridging equipment is being brought up in strenght near Bebra. I figure that he will try to push across the Fulda next turn. Here my side of the river is fully covered by mines and by good quality mechanized infantry and armor. In addition, the 3rd AD reserve brigade (the 1st) is moving into counterattack-position with 3 battalions of armor. So I am confident that I will be able to put a sizeable dent into the 57th GMRD forces as they cross. In addition the located artillery gets a dose of counterbattery fire and a 20th GMRD probe towards Bad Hersfeld gets badly mauled by the defending 3rd AD.

The rest of 8th Guards Army is suspiciously silent. No enemy activity is detected on the road to Fulda or in the Rhön, apart from the units already in contact (which receives a proper drubbing courtesy of the 11th and 3-8 CAV), but the interdiction conducted against units moving behind the front suggests that sizeable enemy forces are present nonetheless. Aerial recon reveals the position of an enemy helicopter FAARP close to a located artillery position, but since I am unable to get a spotter into place, I will have to forgo striking at the landed helicopters. Aerial Recon also reveals enemy T62s, likely of the 9th TD, moving into my now abandoned positions east of Bad Neustadt. An enemy T62 battalion also moves into the minefield adjacent to the town, where it is taken under concentrated fire by Panzergrenadierbattalion 352 and Panzerjägerkompanie 350. They then proceed to call in an A-10 strike, and to top it all off, the US V Corps Attack Helicopter Battalion moves across the Corps boundary and engages as well, using illumination provided by artillery. Under this barrage the offending T62 battalion breaks and retreats in disarray. Everywhere else my forces fall back slightly. To the south of Bad Neustadt a Tank Regiment of the 79th GTD continues forwards as well. The reinforcing brigades of the 4th ID will soon be here...

The fight against the 106th GABD hangs in the balance. Heavily supported by airpower the soviet paratroopers continue to gradually push me out of Schweinfurt, inflicting crippling casualties on C Coy/1-75 Ranger Btn. in the process. The remnants quickly withdraw by helicopter. The entirety of the 1-75 Ranger Battlion is now Hors-De-Combat due to losses and will likely be out of the running for the next 24 hours while receiving replacements. In addition the victory hex in Schweinfurt falls into enemy hands. Only 6000 points to go before I lose by default.... Soviet airstrikes also hits the 3rd Brigade/1st Infantry Division heavily, halting the momentum of my attack and forcing the armoured infantry to regroup. My faltering attack is restored by bomb and napalm laden Alpha Jets and Phantoms who launch punishing strikes against the Soviet airborne infantry. Company C/2-63rd Armored Battalion, supported by engineers and a W-German Heimatschutz motorized infantry company then follows up by overrunning the remnants. All in all, about a battalion (2 infantry companies and 1 company equipped with BMD combat vehicles) are wiped out by this onslaught! The Reconnaisance Battalion of the 12. Panzer Div. has also arrived and is blocking the further advance of the enemy paratroopers.

[Image: Destroy1.png]

Further to the east the 12. Panzer and 3rd ID pulls back slightly yet again, after having given the 27th GMRD another bloody nose through the judicious use of artillery and a single A-10 strike mission.

Finding the road towards Bamberg blocked by the blown bridges across the Main river, the 6th GTD begins to probe west. Meanwhile the remaining units of the 3rd ID continues to disengage in order to concentrate against the airlanding near Schweinfurt. Further to the east the 3-7 CAV and 2nd ACR prepapares to delay the enemy movement through the forested and mountanous area of the Frankische Schweiz, S of Lichtenfels. The number of interdiction attacks made by the USAF on units using the road between Kronach and Lichtenfels suggests, that enemy strenght is very much building here and that the aggregate Cavalry units might be unable to hold on for long. Just how short this period might be was hammered cruelly home when E Troop/2nd Squadron/” ACR suddenly reported being in contact with a BTR equipped Motorrifle Battalion of the East German 11. Mech. Div., a hitherto undetected formation. Before the Troop could withdraw it was subjected to heavy strikes by rocket-equipped MiG-17s. This development scuppers a lot of what I had hitherto been hoping for, since the Main river has now been compromised as an obstacle. Since I wasn´t really observing or actively trying to prevent such a thing from happening it was bound to take place, but I was hoping to be able to bluff him for another turn. The priority now is to in sure that all parts of the 2nd ACR gets safely back to Bamberg without being cut off.

And yet again the relative score is comfortably in my favor, advancing by another 100 points. The loss of Schweinfurt means that the overall score is to his advantage though

07-11-2018, 04:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 04:49 AM by JDR Dragoon.)

This turn is Early Morning (06 am to 08 am). The sun is up and visibility has risen to 3 hexes (4,5 kilometers). A few units still need refuelling, but again nothing really problematic.

The fight against enemy infiltrators resume this turn with a double feature: At Heidelberg, W-German civilian police and US MPs stop a civilian truck driven by Spetznas operatives and West-German fifth column. The truck is packed with explosives, which they had intended to drive into the nearby Tompkins Barracks at Schwetzingen, an important logistics node. At Gelnhausen near the exit of the Fulda Gap, the attempt by a small band of Spetznas to delay Pionierbrigade 114 is met with failure, as the German engineers succesfully turn the tables on their ambushers and fights through, destroying them in the process.

In addition, the 1st Brigade of the 4th ID arrives on schedule, bringing along two welcome battalions of M60A1s. All units of the 4th ID are now present and accounted for. Next in the pipeline will be the remaining parts of the 1st ID.

[Image: REFORGER.png]

In the northern parts of the GE III Korps sector the Covering Force battle is now at an end, as the last units withdraw back across the Weser river, blowing the bridges behind them.

Further to the south Panzerbrigade 14 is still trying to delay the enemy along the approaches to Kassel. If this city falls within the next 24 hours, it will be game over! At Melsungen (erronously labelled Hann. Munden) the last troops slip back across the Fulda as well, while the engineers initiate demolition of the bridges.

In the american sector strange things are afoot. This is the situation at the start of the WAPA move. Most of what I presume to be 57th GMRD is nestled up against the river, and a bridge has been erected at Bebra, waiting for them to cross.

Then this happens:

Most of the 57th GMRD moves away from the river, along with the engineers. The engineer unit which had already rected a crossing begins dismantling it again. This is strange. Perhaps my opponent wishes to marshall his strenght before trying a crossing against my prepared defence? The presence of the East German HQ lurking in reserve, coupled with heavy interdiction strikes on units moving between Eschwege and Bebra, might represent indicators of such a move. Or possibly he might just screen the river in order to concentrate more force against the Fulda Gap, south of the town itself where there he doesn´t need to erect a crossing?

On the road to Fulda and in the Rhön the 39th GMRD springs into action again, but its probes get stopped by the 2/11th ACR and the 8th ID. Reconnaisance overflights of the town of Fulda suggests, that this area might soon find itself the focus of further attacks.

In the VII Corps sector Panzergrendierbrigade 35 continues to hold onto Bad Neustadt, inflicting heavy losses on the attacking T62s of the 9th TD. The same also holds true to the south of these units, where Panzerbrigade 36 stops the attacking T64 battalions of the 79th GTD. RF-4C´s of the 38th Tactical Reconnaisance Squadron confirms the massive depth the enemy is deployed in here, with many units being kept in reserve behind the spearhead. Located HQs and artillery positions gets special attention from my long range guns in order to wreck his ability to support the offensive. The V Corps Attack Helicopter Battalion also helps out here, supporting by fire across the corps boundary.

The 106th GABD seems content to shuffle its remaining units around a bit, while expanding their perimeter where they can do so unopposed, and calling for air support against the 3rd Brigade/1st ID and the West German recon unit from 12. Panzer Div. NATO fighters and airdefences manage to intercept most of the enemy fighters and even shoot down a MiG-27, but the American and West-German units are still hit heavily. Buyoed up by this succes the assault gun battalion of the 106th GABD moves across the captured bridge south of Schweinfurt. They are greeted by TOW-missiles from the 4-16 Mechanized Infantry battalion, which are followed up by a strike of F-4E Phantoms who proceed to drench the crossing site with armor piercing cluster bombs. I estimate that almost 1/3rd of the ASU-85 battalion is lost in these attacks. As the 1-30 Airmobile Infantry Btn. and Heimatschutzbattalion 762 withdraws from Schweinfurt, the city is now firmly in soviet hands (for the moment at least...)

To the east, Panzerbrigade 34 and the 3rd Brigade/3rd ID starts to withdraw from the advancing 27th GMRD in order to avoid being cut off and destroyed between the 106th GABD and the 27th GMRD. In doing so however, a gap starts to open between the two brigades, through which the 27th and 106th GABD might affect a linkup. This is not an immediate danger, since the link would be cross country, but if the enemy manages to capture and clear one of the major roads from Schweinfurt leading east, this linkup might be the factor which ruptures my front in this sector, since the REFORGER brigades of 4th ID are still not in position to backstop a breakthrough. The 27th GMRD doesn´t have things entirely its way though, since a T64 btn gets absolutely wrecked by a combination of A-10 strikes and Cobra Attack Helicopters, reducing it to a single digit of running tanks.

North of Bamberg, enemy air-recon and a single tank battalion of the 6th GTD probe towards the blown crossing of the Main near Eltmann. The tank battalion is greeted by fire from 3rd ID Attack Helicopters, and soon withdraws. The remnants of the 6th GTD still has some cross country movement to do before arriving at the Main, hopefully enabling my forces to catch their breath.

The newly revealed East-German 11. Mech. Div. continues to push forward along the southern bank of the Main, towards Bamberg. The attack helicopter company of the 2nd ACR has a little surprise waiting though, and from positions in the hill to the south they take out a number of the offending T55s. Very heavy interdiction on enemy units moving on the axis Kulmbach/Kronach towards Lichtenfels, and from there towards Bamberg, as WAPA units are subjected to a large number of interdiction strikes, suggesting that the enemy is packing the roads with units travelling west. The rest of the 2nd ACR continues to pull back as plannes towards Bamberg.

And the score advances another 100 points in my favor. This is both nice and necessary, but the deteriorating situation in the VII Corps sector continues to worry me.

Send this user an email
07-11-2018, 04:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 05:02 AM by JDR Dragoon.)

This turn is Morning (08 am to 10 am). Visibility is still 3 hexes (4,5 kilometers). A few units still need refuelling, but these are so far behind the front, that it is not a threat to my tactical maneuvers.

At Munden the Polish units from the 10. Arm. Div. starts to establish themselves along the forested heights east of the Weser, no doubt hoping to effect a crossing quickly. Luftwaffe F4F and Alphajets called in to strike these targets have little effect against the units hidden in the forested Weser river valley. South of Kassel, Panzerbrigade 14 again stops the advancing polish spearheads along the narrow mountain roads. In addition, a West-German LRRP unit, a platoon of Fernspähkompanie 300, succesfully ambushes and then calls artillery onto a Polish towed Antitankgun unit, wiping it out! Meanwhile NATO fighteers keep enemy air-recon away. West-German ROLAND SAM systems also manage to disrupt a strike mission of Polish SU 17s against Panzerbrigade 14.

East of Melsungen, most of the Polish units curiously withdraw out of contact. Is it because they are getting relieved, or because he wishes to concentrate them in another sector?

At Bad Hersfeld the enemy presence detected by sensors or exhaust fumes rising above the trees are taken under fire by artillery. In addition, USAF F4C Phantom Reconnaisance planes manage to punch through WAPAs airdefence network and take clear pictures of the areas south of Bad Hersfeld suspected of harboring enemy units. The results confirm the suspicions: An East German Motorrifle Division sits in reserve, ready to support either the attack on the Fulda or Bad Hersfeld axis.

In front of Fulda and in the Rhön the enemy is silent. The sole T64 battalion occupying an old 11th ACR battle position thus gets the attention of most of the US artillery this turn. In the Rhön, the Hind Attack Helicopter Company of the 39th GMRD tries to recon forward, opening fire on Hotel Troop/2nd Squadron/11th ACR. But the airstrike called in by the Hinds get chased away by F15s, and suddenly F Troop from the same Squadron, firing down on the helicopters from a higher elevation, manage to down 4 of them!

At Bad Neustadt, Panzergenadierbrigade 35 holds tight, bringing the advancing T62s battalions of the 9th TD to a standstill while causing heavy losses. South of the town, events go less well: supported by heavy artillery and attack helicopter support, the 79th GTD succesfully eject Panzerbataillon 364 from its battleposition, causing heavy losses in the proces. This unhinges the defence of Bad Neustadt from the south, and forces me to withdraw from the city, which I had hoped to hold. The situation isn´t all bad though, since the lead brigade of the 4th ID is now available to me! In addition, the many WAPA HQs and artillery positions get their customarty artillery greetings.

At Schweinfurt the 106th GABD still edges its units carefully forward, but apart from this seems to be content calling in airstrikes. Luftwaffe F4Fs force most of these to drop their bombload and abort to avoid destruction, but a flight of SU17s punch through, destroying four M60s of the 2/64th Tank Battalion. But the US battalion commander, as ordered, presses his attack on the crossing of the Main river south of Schweinfurt, hoping to eject the assault gun battalion of the 106th GABD. Calling in heavy support from A10s, the battalion charges forward, wiping out the remains of the lightly armed and armored ASU85 equipped soviet unit!

Things go less well further to the east, as the gap between the 12. Panzer Division and the 3rd ID continues to grow. As it withdraws, Aufklärungsbataillon 12 calls in several A10 strikes on advancing T62 companies (likely from the 27th GMRD), causing heavy losses, reducing them to single digits of running tanks and hopefully dissuading them from advancing further into the gap that has developed in the NATO line. But the advancing 27th GMRD piles on the pressure on the 3rd Brigade/3rd Infantry Division, which is now the sole NATO unit east of the Main, calling in a MIG27 strike on the 1/7th Mech. Inf. Btn. The unit holds its ground, even using a REDEYE to shoot down a MIG, but suffers heavy losses to napalm and clusterbombs.

Between Schweinfurt and Bamberg the 6th GTD seems content to gather its strenght and assemble itself in the forested heights east of the Main, no doubt with the intention to cross the river later. This is welcome news for me, since my defence here is by no means ready yet. To the immediate north of Bamberg, the demolition of the last bridge across the Main fails due to a calculation error. The engineers feverishly pile on more explosives. To the east of Bamberg the East German 11. Motorrifle Division is charging hard against the 3/7 Cav of the 3rd ID, supported by Soviet attack helicopters. The VII Corps retreat towards Bamberg is now further accelerated, in order that the 2nd ACR isn´t caught and cut off east of Bamberg.

Around Kronach SIGINT detects a large number of East German HQs. This might possibly be the assembly area for an East German Division, but no recon flights are available this turn to check the area out. In addition, 4 ATAF and AIRCENT reports having caused heavy losses to enemy columns advancing on the axis: Hof-Kulmbach and Kronach-Lichtenfels. This further supports the suspicion that more East German forces are massing towards Bamberg.

And yet again, the score advances about a 100 points in my favor. A velcome and now familiar sight.

Send this user an email
07-11-2018, 05:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 05:30 AM by JDR Dragoon.)

This turn is mid-Morning (10 am to 12 am). Visibility is still 3 hexes (4,5 kilometers). Still a few units needing fuel, but they are solely units in the rear guarding objectives, so they will get theirs in due time.

The Polish 2. Army seems to have lost its momentum. The enemy has withdrawn out of sight completely along the Weser. This is both good and bad. Good in that it gives my forces a much needed breather. Bad in that he will likely be trying some kind of river crossing once the sun begins to set, or perhaps even before.

South of Kassel is the only place where he attempts to push fitfully forwards. The 2. Mech. Div. again tries to budge Panzerbrigade 14, but this time the West Germans, true to their doctrine has something up their sleeve: A counterattack.

The unit chosen for destruction is the ATGM battery guarding the right flank of the WAPA attack. It is subjected to sustained artillery bombardment and strikes by Alpha Jets using clusterbobmbs, before the Leopard 1´s, supported by PAH-1 antitank helicopters, close in and finish it off.

East of Melsungen, the Polish units present continue to watch my lines from across the Fulda. Like their compatriots at Munden they seem to gather their strenght in anticipation of forcing a crossing. Luftwaffe RF-4E´s reveal a large number of Polish Regimental HQs still waiting to cross the border. Follow on forces? Enemy Air-Recon at Melsungen suggests that this might be the place he intends to cross.

At Bad Hersfeld the picture from last turn continues. Again, he is likely trying to obfuscate the location of his likely crossing of the Fulda. SIGINT confirms that the East-German units from last turn are still there. Located HQs and units gets shelled (of course). The relative quiet in this sector allows 11th ACR and 3rd AD Attack Helicopter companies to displace towards Fulda, where they might soon be needed.

In front of Fulda the situation begins to develop. USAF aerial reconnaisance shows the presence of an East-German T55 equipped tank unit coming up from the rear, likely a part of the East-German unit further back. This suggests, that a 2nd echelon division is about to deployed at Fulda.

In the Rhön the 39th GMRD probes again. They get met by the now customary stiff resistance form the 8th ID and 11th ACR and stopped. These seem more like holding attacks, intended to draw off my strenght. I do hope that I am not deploying more that strictly necessary in order to shut down these incursions. On the boundary between the US V and VII Corps, the Attack helicopters of V Corps take their toll again as well.

In the Meiningen gap between Bad Neustadt and Bad Kissingen enemy Air-Recon tries to find my positions, but the they seem curiously inactive here, seemingly content to consolidate their grip on the newly conquered Bad Neustadt. The only exception to this is southeast of Bad Kissingen, where the 9th TD is pressing forwards against Panzerbrigade 34, who is giving ground grudgingly.

Further to the south the 106th GABD seems satisified with maintaining their perimeter at Schweinfurt, with one exception: The division uses my lack of forces to expand their perimeter to the south. At Gerolzhofen The Recon Platoon/D Troop/3-7 Cavalry/3rd ID are able to keep a tab on their movements, but something needs to be done to limit their movements. Meanwhile, airmobile infantry from the 3rd and 4th ID moves in quickly in order to head the soviet airborne troops off before they reach the important Main river bridges north of Kitzingen. The 2/64 Armor Btn of the 3rd ID yet again throws themselves at the airborne perimeter, despite being heavily hit by WAPA close support aircraft.

East of Schweinfurt, in the tenous foorhold I still maintain east of the Main here, the 3rd Brigade/3rd ID stops the 27th GMRD cold. Nobody gets through. This at least gives me hope that the arriving reinforcements will have a solid southern ”shoulder” upon which to act. There are only two problems with this scenario: The first is the fact that 4ATAF reports interdiction against enemy columns moving from Pfarrweisah towards Schweinfurt. The second and much more serious is, that the 6th GTD is changing its direction of advance. Instead of moving due west, the division is now moving NW along the Main, directly towards Schweinfurt! Attack Helicopters and A10s strike the T64 columns mercilessly, while the mechanized infantry of the 3rd ID fires their TOW antitank missiles across the Main, into the flank of the enemy tanks.

At Bamberg the 2nd ACR, supported by an Armor Btn from 3rd ID, stops the East German attempt at cutting off my retreating forces from Bamberg. The retreat here goes as planned, while the two East German divisions are stopped short of their goal thanks to the heavy fire. The only worrying factor here is that the T72 equipped 7. Panzer Div. seems to be back.

Near Coburg SIGINT detects a number of HQs. This suggests that a division, likely 7th GTD, is lurking in reserve.

This turn the kicking of the enemy reaches new proportions, as the score grows 150 points in my favor. Yet this might be deceptive. The hole that has opened between the 12. Panzer Div. and the 3rd ID has still not been closed and on top of this there is another worry: US 3rd Air Force reports detetcting and striking columns of WAPA vehicles moving between Leipzig and Weissenfels. This is deep in the WAPA rear. It might just be another division moving up, but it might also be the vanguard of the second operational echelon. If this is the case, we are likely talking about an entire army of 3-5 divisions moving up in order to exploit a breakthrough...

Send this user an email
07-11-2018, 05:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018, 05:42 AM by JDR Dragoon.)

This turn is mid-Day (12 am to 2pm). Visibility has dropped to 2 hexes (about 3 kilometers) due to partially cloudy weather and rain. This has had no effect on operations in the air or on the ground, apart from the drop in visibility.

West of Mannheim, the Military Police company of the 4th ID succesfully protects the Command Post of the divisions 1st Brigade from attack by Spetznas Infiltrators, wiping them out in the process.

In the Bundeswehr III Korps sector the enemy has now broken contact everywhere, and it is only thorugh SIGINT, that I know that the units of the Polish 2. Army are still out there. My attempts at hitting the located enemy HQs with airpower are scotched by enemy SAMs and interceptors, which forces my Alpha Jets to jettison ordinance and break off

Even in front of Kassel, the Polish 2. Mech. Div. Stops its advance and withdraws. Reported interdiction on units moving along the road from Witzenhausen to Hessisch Lichtenau suggests that more units are being moved up from reserve.

At Fulda it is clear that I am now facing two divisions: My old friend the 20th GMRD, plus an unknown (but not undetected) East German Motorrifle Div. The forces defending here include a brigade from the 8th Inf. Div, plus 1st and 3rd squadron, 11th ACR, buttressed by Attack Helicopters and one of the most dense obstacle belts on the map, so I am confident of being able to bloody him. Nevertheless, enemy air recon spies out my positions, and an enemy probe, heavily supported by attack aviation hits the 1st Squadron/11th ACR hard. USAF F4 Phantoms hit back against the attacking T62s of the 20th GMRD, blanketing them with clusterbombs.

South of Fulda the 39th GMRD probes forward again in battalion strenght, but runs into a buzzsaw. After blundering into my minefields, the attacking battalions, despite getting support from their own attack aviation and helicopters, gets savaged by artillery, attack helicopters and A10s, stopping the probe in its tracks. On top of this, A Coy/5-68 Armor Btn shoots down an attacking SU17.

At Bad Neustadt the enemy conserves his strenght, scouting out my positions through air reconnaisance. The following strike missions get intercepted by USAF F15s though, sparing me those losses. A strike against Panzergrenadierbattalion 353 south of Bad Neustadt does go in, but the unit is heavily entrenched and suffers little damage.

Further to the south, an attack by two T62 battalions of the 9th TD pushes Panzerbattalion 343 out of its position, although the German tankers manage to destroy three T62s for each loss of their own.

At Schweinfurt, my Air-Recon reveals enemy armor and infantry assembling opposite the 3rd Brigade/3rd ID. I would wager a guess, that these units are from the 6th GTD. In order to safeguard its position, the brigade orders two artillery delivered minefields in order to block off major roads.

To the south of Schweinfurt, the 106th GABD continues to enlarge its lodgment slightly. The US delaying forces call in a heavy airstrike on the lead BMD equipped company, which should at least dampen their enthusiasm. In turn, the US 2/64 Armor Btn is again hit by a Soviet airstrike. It doesn´t appear as if the enemy has begun advancing on Würzburg yet, but enemy air-recon against Kitzingen suggests that he may be about to seize the crossings here.

At Bamberg the E-German 7. Panzer Div breaks contact. The only parts of the E-German 3. Army now advancing is the 11. Motsch. Div., whose old T55s are handily stopped by the 2nd ACR, suffering huge losses in the process. Between Kronach and Lichtenfels two HQs are pinpointed by SIGINT, likely representing units in reserve.

At Erfurt the suspected E-German Army HQ shows itself again. Perhaps this HQ is slated for commanding the units now moving between Leipzig and Weissenfels, who continue to suffer losses from my interdiction?

[Image: Sitrep9.png]

The difference in score grows with 120 points, which is welcome.

The basic problem remains though: There is a large hole in the VII Corps line between the german 12. Panzer Div. and the US 3rd Inf Div. And the reinforcements sent to deal with the problem are only now beginning to make themselves felt.

[Image: Overview.png]
Send this user an email