• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Blitz dropping SP?
11-12-2015, 06:43 AM,
Feedback Needed  Blitz dropping SP?
If this is true, the SP crew needs to plan our withdrawal. 
1.  A big Uhrah! to weasel for his efforts at herding cats.
2.  Shrapnel games has an SP section (forum);
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Worksh..._page.html
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Worksh..._page.html

They do have a forum but I have it blocked because of malware.  I am perhaps overly sensitive to malware. 

3.  There are sections here that should be copied.  Tactics, maps, FAQ's, etc.
 4.  If we are not KIA on the Blitz, then I want to start a tournament to see if the traffic will go up a bit.  Gotta have those clicks for the ad guys.
    a)  Iran/Iraq war, 1980 to when ever. 
    b)  Last man standing format, so a drop doesn't fook up everybody else.
    c)  Minimul 'special rules.  We are all adults (in theory) so there should be no need for anything 'special'

5  I'm willing to try and assemble a list of E-mail addresses for PBEM.  I am NOT going to get involved with ladders, etc.
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 07:08 AM,
RE: Blitz dropping SP?
Why should they drop it?
Not many games are played but it still makes no sense to remove the SP series.
11-12-2015, 08:43 AM,
(11-12-2015, 07:08 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Why should they drop it?
Not many games are played but it still makes no sense to remove the SP series.
It seems that way to me but I am biased.  I have no idea how the finances work.  All I know is that nothing in life is free.  That there are bills to pay, mouths to feed and money don't grow on trees;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtsdZs9LJo
11-12-2015, 08:49 AM,
I just wonder what made you start this thread, I didn't hear anything about SP being dropped.
11-12-2015, 11:47 AM,
I believe there is a misunderstanding going on.

The Blitz is not dropping the Steel Panthers Series.

Weasel just publicly announced that the "Tales of Cold Spring of 1989 Campaign" sub-forum section was going to be closed down due to no activity.

So be rest assured, the Steel Panthers Series is not going anywhere.
11-12-2015, 01:08 PM,
Sorry, have been sick since Friday. Chad is correct, it is the tournament that is going to be shutting down..eventually.

Thanks Chad for clearing that up while I was sick.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-12-2015, 01:08 PM,
(11-12-2015, 11:47 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: I believe there is a misunderstanding going on.

The Blitz is not dropping the Steel Panthers Series.

Weasel just publicly announced that the "Tales of Cold Spring of 1989 Campaign" sub-forum section was going to be closed down due to no activity.

So be rest assured, the Steel Panthers Series is not going anywhere.

Ok, that is what it was.  Confusion on my part.  
Sorry.
I don't see it as panic but an alarmed response.  
11-12-2015, 01:43 PM,
Iran-Iraq war;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Nasr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khorramshahr

The second URL has a list of more battles by year.
Will attempt a matrix so every player plays all the battles from both sides. I think that means I need the number of players to equal the number of battles plus one.
Battles will be done as scenarios, with units entering on the march. That is more work but the initial positions will not be fixed. So just because that M-48 plt. was behind the river when you played Iran in that scenario doesn't mean it will be bhuind the river when you play that scenario as Iraq. I will also fiddle with the flags. Both in location and value.
Most cumulative points is the winner.
Feedback please! Once I get some volunteers I will select battles. Opinions sought there also. Then make some maps and build the scenarios. Should have this up and running by the end of the year.
Will open a new thread on the tourney after I get a little feedback.
11-13-2015, 05:03 AM,
With the limited number of players I would suggest you keep scenarios short and fast and ram the tournament through. Can't have tournaments lasting 1.5 years anymore like we could 5 years ago. You may wish to read the article about running a tournament I created, posted in the article section.

I have run 8 tournaments, so if you have questions fire away.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-13-2015, 10:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM by low_bidder.)
Yes, the actual real world battles were too big to simulate in SP anyway. Plus the downside of using entry deployment is you have to 'stack' the incoming units on the entry hex for a turn. That gets tedious quickly. I try to keep the unit count under 200 just for my sanity. If this woreks as evisioned (ha ha) there will be little overhead. Mostly changing entry hexes for a new battle. I will need a "Leaderboard" of some sort. Still thinking about that. IIRC, Air Master is a golfer.. Golfers use leaderboards so I hope to pick his brain.
As far as players, After 20+ years of SP:PBEM I have quite the list of E-mail addresses. Part of the overhead will be contacting those players to see if they are still playing. It would be nice to have an inspirational "Rally 'round the Flag" boys message, which would fly faster coming from an authority figure such as yourself.
I will contact Wilfur to see if he is still willing to help with maps. We did that before and are good at picking up what the other fella missed. Nothing ticks me off more then running down a road and then BAM, you hit an invisible building and get m-killed.
I will look into opening an E-mail box to store everything in.
This sort of Tourney will work better with half a dozen players. That way everybody plays 5 battles.
I have already started some of the prep work and will start contacting players on a contingent basis.
After all, the secondary purpose is to increase traffic here.