• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HMS Victory fires a broadside
10-20-2015, 06:15 AM,
HMS Victory fires a broadside
IF you go to this link and jump to the 2:09 mark you will get to see them fire Victory's broadside.  The noise is incredible and really shows her power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTUz6nUgvIk
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2015, 12:29 PM,
RE: HMS Victory fires a broadside
Excellent video, thanks!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-20-2015, 12:59 PM,
Great video - Thanks for the Link! - but OMG the narrator's voice is reeeeeeally annoying!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon." Horatio Nelson.
10-21-2015, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2015, 08:40 AM by Weasel.)
Yeah, it puts you to sleep real quick. Reminds me of guys intimating Alfred Hitchcock.

Can you imagine the sound at Trafalgar with all those ships firing?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
10-21-2015, 10:18 AM,
What is more in the video she doesn't fire her 32 pounders (lower guns).

For those with a statistical bent, some facts about the Victory's firepower:

1 broadside would contain over half a ton of shot,
propelled by 400 pounds of gunpowder for over a mile!

The lower deck 32 pounders could punch their solid 6 inch diameter 32lb ball through 2 feet of solid oak at over a mile!

A well trained, british crew would expect to fire 2-3 times every 5 minutes in battle, often fought at ranges under 50 yards.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon." Horatio Nelson.
10-21-2015, 01:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2015, 01:34 PM by Weasel.)
Holy crap batman. She originally had 48s on her lower but they got rid of them, I guess the extra weight and size wasn't worth the hitting power.

I thought the lower guns firing were the last ones you hear but can't see in the smoke.

There is this documentary on her: Battlestations: HMS VICTORY

Haven't watched it yet but plan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JqDFaH6vo
10-21-2015, 05:38 PM,
Today would of course be an auspicious day to watch it!

Happy Trafalgar day!
10-22-2015, 04:43 AM,
That was a pretty good documentary, well done.

"Nelson was such a martyr that they built a giant stick in the middle of London and stuck his statue at the top of it".
10-22-2015, 07:33 PM,
(10-21-2015, 01:32 PM)Weasel Wrote: Holy crap batman.  She originally had 48s on her lower but they got rid of them, I guess the extra weight and size wasn't worth the hitting power.

I thought the lower guns firing were the last ones you hear but can't see in the smoke.

There is this documentary on her: Battlestations:  HMS VICTORY

Haven't watched it yet but plan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JqDFaH6vo

Pretty awesome barrage that. Was watching with my iPad streaming to Bose SoundDock, quite a rumble. Definitively agree with narrator that "the only place you want to be when firing is behind the guns".

It seemed she fired first her middle and upper guns, then the lower ones. 

Thanks for the link!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-23-2015, 07:12 AM,
That is what I thought, the 32s were the lower ones clouded in smoke