• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Arty causes freeze in "Into Africa"
10-15-2015, 02:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2015, 02:35 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
Arty causes freeze in "Into Africa"
Posted this at Matrix. I remembered that the game programmer has me on ignore and blocks my e-mail, so I figured to get customer support here.
Played two turns and on the third decided to plot artillery. The scenario froze and the screen showed that something was wrong with ME and I then got the ME.exe error message. When looking into the task manager my "freeze" was 32bit ME.exe.
Clicked off the error messages and then restarted.

Thought it might have had something to do with the arty. Plotted it the first turn and wham it happened again.
Same "windows has a problem" and "Me.exe" file problem.

Could not take a screen shot. Am looking to see where someone else might have experienced the same.
I am using Win 10.
And, my rig is powerful enough to handle ME. Also, have updated all drivers (tried to and got message that my drivers are all up to date).

Help for a disappointed and frustrated old gamer. Farmer
I start three weeks of 9 to 6 overnights tonight. I hope I can back to this and fix the problem.

Cheers6

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2015, 02:35 AM,
RE: Arty causes freeze in "Into Africa"
This issue is being handled at Matrix CS:ME Tech Support forum:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1516
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-17-2015, 05:51 AM,
Yup, and I am jumping through the hoops with my limited time. Thankfully, I needed to do little to get the small scenario's game to crash.
It's gathering the info and sending it that has taken time (not yet sent but soon).

HSL
10-19-2015, 04:01 AM,
Ed, we're still working on this.

This is a tough one to figure out as only one other person seems to have a similar issue.

Please be patient and hopefully we'll have a resolution for you soon.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
10-19-2015, 04:26 AM,
Ok, just a hunch, since it works on an older version of the game, but would it matter where the game was installed? It installed mine in another whole directory from where I usually install Matrix stuff, I mean, it is under games, but is this-C:\Games\Matrix Games\John Tillers Campaign Series\ Modern Wars Volume1\Campaign Series Middle East, instead of-C:\Games\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\Modern Wars Volume1\Middle_East 20150310.
So, instead of putting it under the John Tillers with the', it made another whole directory. I don't know, really sucks since I can't play any scenario's with OBA...
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
10-19-2015, 07:02 AM,
Mine is in it's own place too. Separate from the CS series.

HSL
10-20-2015, 12:25 PM,
Ed,

I have extensive play time on this game and this scenario.  I have never had a crash as you describe.  It is definitely something outside of the norm.  Of course, I use the standard folders under Matrix, but I have run a variety of file folders as we've upgraded over the past many months with all my other CS games without issue.  I don't delete folders, I just rename them with date they were discontinued by a new Beta. 

I did not put the ME release with the other CS games, but in the folder it installs under Matrix.

I am running Win 7.  I think most of the other guys on the development team are running Win 10.  I don't go for that new fangled sparkly Win 10 stuff like you hip-wanna-be youngsters.  Meaning I'm afraid of the free upgrade to Win10 because I'd hate to lose all my stuff on my desktop.  I'm waiting on my daughter to return my laptop so I can play with that one before the desktop.  LOL

Jim
10-20-2015, 05:57 PM,
I've got both W7 (laptop) and W10 (desktop), and I've played this scenario over without issues as well. And that's the thing, despite Mike having what looks like similar problems, when he made his full install as-is available to Berto and Jason, they were not able to recreate the crash that you and Mike are seeing, despite having run the same scenario from same files Mike's got.

We are still working on it, and let us hope that to start with we are able to have our install crashing in a similar manner. Then, we can investigate what happened.

As a team we have XP / W7 / W8 / W10 installs available but so far this bug has not been possible to recreate on any of our machines.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-20-2015, 10:41 PM,
LOL! I thought it was my "young whipper snapper" impatience or my curmudgeon "old" lack of patience. I disliked Win 8.1 so much that I took the plunge when offered Win 10.
Except for the irritating Win 10 'double' shut down, all is well (so far). My desktop ported over with no losses and only a couple visual changes. All files stayed fine. I downloaded CSME on the Win 10 install.

OBA's are my only crash point. I'm going to try the scenario from the Egyptian side to see if it crashes. Mike said it did not for him. I have some time today to fool around with it.

Farmer

HSL
10-20-2015, 10:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 10:58 PM by Crossroads.)
I am quite happy with my W10 as well. Go figure, is this the new Microsoft or what? All my settings were saved, all apps are working apart my old Total War Rome and Total War Medieval CD games which are broken due to their DRM model dropped by Microsoft.

It would be interesting to hear how Into Africa plays with AI using the off board artillery. Do let us know, hopefully this is sorted sooner rather than later!

Edit: for the record, I am using the default install locations for both games, so both are under Matrix Games but each under their own game folders then:

C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series
C:\Matrix Games\Campaign Series Middle East
Visit us at CSLegion.com