• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I really like the Panzer Campaigns Series!
09-18-2015, 04:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 05:21 AM by Kool Kat.)
Why I really like the Panzer Campaigns Series!
Gents: Smoke7

I've only "discovered" the Panzer Campaigns series (PzC) and purchased my first game (Sicily 43) a few months ago... but have really grown to like this game system!  Big Grin

Let me count the reasons why:

(1.) Nostalgia - Reminds me of the past (pre-PC) days when I was pushing around cardboard counters on a paper map board.

(2.) Scale - Operational (1 hex = 1 kilometer and 1 turn = 2 hours) with a nice blend of tactical decision-making required too. Unit sizes are divisions, regiments, and battalions.

(3.) Unit Combinations - Ability to both combine and breakdown units into smaller formations.

(4.) Morale and Fatigue Management - It is a "game" within itself and this management becomes critical in the longer campaign scenarios.

(5.) Campaign Games - The longer (100 turn +) scenarios is when this game system "shines" for me! Now all aspects of running a grand campaign come into play; Operational, strategic, and tactical considerations, morale, fatigue, reinforcements, withdrawals, etc.)

(6.) Combined Operations - Using all units within a combined operations (Armor, artillery, infantry, motorized, cavalry, recon, air and naval units, etc.) to achieve your battlefield objectives.

(7.) Use of Mods - Ability to utilize (fairly easily) various 3rd party mods to enhance both the unit portraits and map board graphics breathe "new life" into the PzC series! 

(8.) Finally - it's fun! - I'm able to stare and plot moves on my pixel battlefields... and than to look up at the clock and suddenly realize 2 hours have passed! Good stuff!  Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2015, 06:32 AM,
RE: Why I really like the Panzer Campaigns Series!
Can I add Command ?

Making sure your command structure is in place is again a "hidden" aspect of these titles that can decide if you will win a scenario or if your forces fall to pieces....... Big Grin

I agree with all your points, PzC, Modern Campaigns and First World War Campaigns are all fantastic series and the biggest plus of all is that there are no "old" games, PzC 1 Smolensk has the same features as the last title released.......
09-18-2015, 07:18 AM,
Yes, it is a very popular and well done series.  That is why the series is still going strong after all of these years.

@ Mike, what are the next titles on your PzC wish list?
09-18-2015, 09:02 AM,
(09-18-2015, 04:10 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents: Smoke7

I've only "discovered" the Panzer Campaigns series (PzC) and purchased my first game (Sicily 43) a few months ago... but have really grown to like this game system!  Big Grin

(1.) Nostalgia - Reminds me of the past (pre-PC) days when I was pushing around cardboard counters on a paper map board.
Yes it is exactly like the old cardboard games only better! jonny   Jester
09-18-2015, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2015, 12:42 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
One of these days, you need to also try a team campaign. Those rock if all interested.
09-18-2015, 10:24 PM,
(09-18-2015, 06:32 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Can I add Command ?

Making sure your command structure is in place is again a "hidden" aspect of these titles that can decide if you will win a scenario or if your forces fall to pieces....... Big Grin

I agree with all your points, PzC, Modern Campaigns and First World War Campaigns are all fantastic series and the biggest plus of all is that there are no "old" games, PzC 1 Smolensk has the same features as the last title released.......

Hi Darran:  Smoke7

Yes indeed! Smile

Keeping your command structure intact w/ subordinate units is another "game within a game" and a critical component of a combined arms organization.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
09-18-2015, 10:34 PM,
(09-18-2015, 07:18 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Yes, it is a very popular and well done series.  That is why the series is still going strong after all of these years.

@ Mike, what are the next titles on your PzC wish list?

Hi Chad:  Smoke7

I plan to purchase Salerno 43 next! Big Grin

Being able to re-create both the landings at Salerno and Anzio including playing the bonus game - "German Assault on Crete 1941" looks to be $40 USD well spent! Wink

However, my Salerno 43 purchase will need to wait since I'm currently playing against Sean (The Bishop) in the Sicily 43 "The Dry Feet Campaign" (172 turns).

I expect to be "heavily engaged" commanding the Axis forces for a while!  Smile
Send this user an email
09-19-2015, 01:22 AM,
(09-18-2015, 09:02 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 04:10 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents: Smoke7

Yes it is exactly like the old cardboard games only better! jonny   Jester

Yes like playing the old monster games and still having a kitchen table to eat on and no worries about the cat nuking things! :)
09-19-2015, 07:25 AM,
Book, newspaper, IPad, laptop or paper map with counters on it, in my experience if you are staring at something your cat will always want to be in that spot!  Big Grin
09-19-2015, 08:30 AM,
(09-19-2015, 07:25 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Book, newspaper, IPad, laptop or paper map with counters on it, in my experience if you are staring at something your cat will always want to be in that spot!  Big Grin

ah the cat blitzkrieg Smile