• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Siege of Sevastopol Scenario wanted
08-16-2015, 01:11 PM,
Siege of Sevastopol Scenario wanted
I've been searching and searching for a scenario depicting the Siege of Sevastopol for John Tiller's Campaign Series (Matrix games version). If anyone has one and would like to share I would be grateful. If not and you know a place where I could find some maps (preferably scaled to the correct size or easily scaled by myself) I will try to create my own and proudly share it with everyone. Sadly the OOB files dont contain all of the different siege guns used by Germany during the siege but I could always make up for that with other rail guns or arty.
Thanks in advance.
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2015, 08:43 PM,
RE: Siege of Sevastopol Scenario wanted
Nice to meet you.

Sevastopol has been on my list for years.

Unfortunately, it will take years to do it justice if you're planning on modeling the entire set piece battle. As a good friend has reminded me a few times, you're pushing the scale of the game to encompass a fight that large. Not that it ever stopped me, but it's a valid point and you will be inevitably forced to make some concessions in order to model a campaign that was fought over a large span of time.

Then you have to playtest it, and that's many months if not a year or more.

Still...your madness speaks to mine...;O)
08-22-2015, 11:34 PM,
Sorry...forgot to answer your question during my rambling above...lol...

I have some maps, including an excellent German field map of the area, that I'd be happy to send you. Send me a pm if you're interested.
08-23-2015, 12:38 AM,
I'm OK with it Dan. Helmet Wink
If the map is good and it stays within the "six" minute per turn, I have no problem at all. Farmer

It's when I see the "this one scenario will cover the 30 day event" that I get riled. Flame2

Drink Smoke

HSL
08-23-2015, 04:58 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Siege of Sevastopol Scenario wanted
Ed...now why did you assume I was referring to you my friend?...lol...Whistle

No...I get it in this case Ed. Unless you're looking to do a "slice" of Sevastopol it's almost impossible. Between Operation Trappenjagd and Operation Störfang it took the Germans over a month to take Sevastopol. The third and final assault was my model, basically the fall of Sevastopol, and even that was a 4 or 5 day event.

When I first took a look I realized the full story of Sevastopol required inclusion of the Air and Naval Operations to do it justice. Making the map even larger and as we all know the CS engine really doesn't do Naval and Air justice.

With a proper scale in mind...I could see some nice (still large but not immense) scenarios covering...

1. The fall of Fort Stalin
2. The decisive day, 29 June 1942
3. The collapse of Sector IV (parts thereof)

That would do two things.
Keep almost everyone interested in playing it, and keep the designer from needing a rest home and/or Depends prior to completion.

Sevastopol is a fascinating campaign.
For me at least...CrazyJesterPeace Pipe
08-23-2015, 11:30 AM,
Yes, I agree. Tempted

What me worry? Twilight Zone

I would not mind a break down into two or three scenarios. And, agree that air and naval are abstract. Though, I think that they still should be. Propeller Hat

Good to exchange with you again, my friend. Respect3

Cheers6

HSL
08-23-2015, 08:28 PM,
Always a pleasure Ed.
Good to hear from you.

I am enjoying Pethos' new scenario Operation Sealion and it's given me my 2015 large scenario fix....enough to stop the shakes anyway...Toast...
08-24-2015, 05:54 AM,
I use vodka and tonic for that! Martini

Or "not my fathers root beer" Buds

Thank you 3 The pleasure is mine.

HSL
08-27-2015, 08:40 PM,
If two old silverbacks can't get along who can?...Helmet Wink

But...I do want to retract one part of my statement above!

While the CS series doesn't handle Naval action well, it does do a pretty good job on beach landings as part of a land battle.

And a tip of the hat to those who worked on the latest version, as they improved it and eliminated some of the old issues with beach landings that plagued some of our early scenarios, making it even better. Crewed boats/unscrewed boats. (auto correct keeps making "uncrewed" into "unscrewed" so who am I too argue?) Also allowing engineers to work on clearing blocks/minefields in the shallows now.

Having spent a bit of time on boats I can attest there are some with screws, some where you could get screwed, but very few uncrewed not to mention crewless. Clueless...but never crewless...Whip

ps: Fermented cactus...that's my poison Ed...tried to learn to love scotch so I could hang out with the cool kids...but it never happened. I like the honesty of tequila. Never sneaks up on me like gin or vodka...it slaps you in the mouth and heads right to the liver for a second slap...Whip
08-27-2015, 10:40 PM,
LOL! Buds

Tequila. One or two and "that's when the fight started" for me. It's the only alcohol that does that to me. I usually just get quiet. Tequila sets me off. Green Club

I do agree with you about the beach landings. Thumb Up2

Cheers Pirates

HSL