• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SB and Windows 10
08-01-2015, 04:42 AM,
SB and Windows 10
Gents,

I updated the operating system on one of my computers that had been running Win8 to Win10 yesterday. Tried to play a PBEM and can report that SB and Win10 might have some potential issues. It's early, but if you only have one machine and are playing a lot of SB, you might want to hold off on updating your machine. Luckily I have a Win7 desktop that I'll keep on that operating system for now.

Anyone else give this a try and have the same or different experience? Reply here so the folks at JTS can get a feel for their games and the new operating system....

A
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 07:44 AM,
RE: SB and Windows 10
Oh joy, more progress.
08-01-2015, 08:00 AM,
(08-01-2015, 07:44 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: Oh joy, more progress.

Yes I agree.

Which WIN version is next in line to stop being supported; Win Vista or WIN7?
08-01-2015, 09:10 AM,
In general, the new OS is really slick, but it might take some time for the other drivers to catch up. I did mention this to Rich Hamilton and he agree that it might be a graphics card driver issue. He also chastised me for jumping on a new OS the moment it came out!

The weird thing is that some of my SB games work completely fine, others have this weird graphics lag and difficulty in picking individual weapons. I can't figure it out.

That said, I like it better than Win8, which was a truly failed attempt at modernizing their OS.
08-01-2015, 05:55 PM,
(08-01-2015, 09:10 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: In general, the new OS is really slick, but it might take some time for the other drivers to catch up. I did mention this to Rich Hamilton and he agree that it might be a graphics card driver issue. He also chastised me for jumping on a new OS the moment it came out!
Well someone has to be the guinea pig with the new systems and HPS/JTS games, so thank you for leading the charge!!

I am going to get a new laptop which will be win10 so I am waiting for the experts to tell me I can run my games on it before I buy it, luckily my 2005 desktop is still holding up.....
08-01-2015, 09:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2015, 09:31 PM by Lowlander.)
The older you are the more you resist change, obviously it's slightly different and strange at first but I'm finding everything is working OK.

Made some basic errors at first when using the start menu etc.
My desktop all in one PC starts and shut's down much quicker.

The PZC game graphics look much better I.E. more detailed sharpness, or is it just my imagination.
Check the ticks on the drop down menu's.

Therefore Windows 10,
+1.

Tip, I have been using a portable HDD since windows 7 and back up my files at least every month.
08-04-2015, 03:49 AM,
The odd thing is that the JTS games I have work fine. My old HPS games are all buggy. I'm going to do a clean re-install of a game and see how that goes. I'd really hate to have to do this, but if that does the trick, so be it.
08-04-2015, 07:05 AM,
Ok let us know how you get on. Smile
08-04-2015, 10:50 PM,
When I start any HPSSIMS or John Tiller game I do it this way.

Press the windows key ( bottom row, third in from left ) and the < r > key, together.
The RUN dialog box appears, select browse,
Navigate to the game EXE start file and double click,
Select OK.
The game will start.

I have done this since windows 7, as I had transferred all my important files to a portable HD from my old XP machine, and moved them flawlessly over to my new windows 7 machine.
I.E. I did not manually have to install each and every game.
People had problems installing games, patches and mods as they were not installing to the correct location.
08-05-2015, 06:43 AM,
Did a fresh install of DBP, added the latest patch and it works fine. Copied over all the graphics folders due to the various graphics mods and it still works fine. Must be an issue with my computer. Rich Hamilton has said that Tiller installed 10 on one of his systems and his games worked fine.

Nothing to see here!