• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

War on the Southern Front CD Check question
07-24-2015, 01:06 PM,
War on the Southern Front CD Check question
Hi All! I am new here, seems like a great forum and the place to discuss HPS games

I got Total War in Europe War on the Southern Front as a CD last year - bought from an ebay store

i am wondering if there is any way to circumvent the cd check? i notice that a lot of HPS games were updated so as to do away with this, but it still seems to be in place on War on the Southern Front for me and this is quite annoying as my dvd drive is quite faulty and can take ages before it ever recognises a cd

is there any advice as to how i can get around this - ie, i was initially successful in installing the game form the cd but since then get the cd to be recognised is a frustrating repetitive exercise that i would like to avoid

cheers
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2015, 01:31 AM,
RE: War on the Southern Front CD Check question
I really am not sure a work around exists, when the cd check was in place lots of people made up discs with all the exe files from their games to get around having to take discs in and out of the PC cd as they played different titles, but if your PC cd is faulty this of course is no help at all.

You could try HPS support to see if they have any ideas, if they have removed the cd check from the PzC series etc.. then they should have no issue with giving you a fix if one exists.
07-25-2015, 11:58 AM,
thanks - yeah i sent them a query but takes a while to get a response
i made a CD iso image of the disk as well as a Bin/cue image but neither of these seem to work, i am not sure what kind of voodoo HPS put on its cds but it seems burning an image cant get around it
07-25-2015, 12:07 PM,
(07-25-2015, 11:58 AM)Agathosdaimon Wrote: ... i am not sure what kind of voodoo HPS put on its cds but it seems burning an image cant get around it

You will more than likely need to burn the main start exe file to have any hope of it working.

If you are not sure which file that is, take some screen shots of the exe files in that game file and we can point it out.

Feel free to email the pics if that is easier for you.
07-25-2015, 05:02 PM,
Create a folder with the exact same name as on your hard drive on to a CD (and I mean exactly the same -including upper case and lower case, spacing ... the entire 9 yards).

You then copy and paste the exe files into the folder that you created. In my case I have:

wsf.exe
wwedit.exe
wwparm.exe
wwsub.exe

then burn it - leave it in your CD when you play, and you're done.

Basically you do the same thing (the .exe file names would differ by title) for any of the titles in the series -my own disk as a fair amount of these folders but I had created it before they started removing the cd checks. The TWIE (or Strategic War) series is a bit different from the other series in terms of attention for updates since it has been awhile between titles.
Send this user an email