• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Just musing to myself
05-31-2015, 11:13 AM,
Just musing to myself
John Tillers West Front and East Front where big and popular sellers back when released. Now Panzer Battles is the same scale and developed by the same man yet it seems to me anyway not to be as popular as those older games. Infact those wargamers who love and still play them have stuck with them and seem to prefer them over PB. Do you think it's due to the actual battle chosen (which can feel abit of a slog), or does it going deeper than that? I'm sure those wargamers have prayed for a new updated game using that scale..and yet it seems they haven't really taken to it, when I feel they should be raving about it.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 01:05 AM,
RE: Just musing to myself
(05-31-2015, 11:13 AM)Wodin Wrote: John Tillers West Front and East Front where big and popular sellers back when released. Now Panzer Battles is the same scale and developed by the same man yet it seems to me anyway not to be as popular as those older games. Infact those wargamers who love and still play them have stuck with them and seem to prefer them over PB. Do you think it's due to the actual battle chosen (which can feel abit of a slog), or does it going deeper than that? I'm sure those wargamers have prayed for a new updated game using that scale..and yet it seems they haven't really taken to it, when I feel they should be raving about it.

Hi Wodin,

It's hard to do a direct comparison between West Front/East Front as there are many more scenarios etc for that series than the current Panzer Battles.

With only one game in the Panzer Battles series it will always be a polarising topic. People will either love the subject matter or hate it. It will be interesting to see the response to the next title which has a lot more variety than the Kursk title.

There are some fundamental changes beyond just scale for both series also. Much of what John has learned in the last 20 years went into Panzer Battles. There is that amount of time (approx) since these different titles were released. There are some very subtle mechanics in Panzer Battles that take a while to master and that has impacted players perceptions also I think.

Finally, though maybe not known, Panzer Battles Kursk was John's biggest selling game since he started publishing with HPS. The game system did hit a chord, at least initially and the ongoing community here is proof it hasn't died.

I'm hopeful that Panzer Battles 2 will be out this year and that will spur the series on and continue to grow interest.

David
06-01-2015, 03:15 AM,
(06-01-2015, 01:05 AM)Strela Wrote: I'm hopeful that Panzer Battles 2 will be out this year and that will spur the series on and continue to grow interest.

David

+1 Ready and waiting to purchase Helmet Smile
"Damnation seize my soul if I give your quarters, or take any from you." - Edward Teach
06-02-2015, 10:59 PM,
(05-31-2015, 11:13 AM)Wodin Wrote: ... I'm sure those wargamers have prayed for a new updated game using that scale..and yet it seems they haven't really taken to it, when I feel they should be raving about it.

Different times, different generations, facing much more competition... pick one or all.
06-03-2015, 01:15 AM,
(06-01-2015, 01:05 AM)Strela Wrote: I'm hopeful that Panzer Battles 2 will be out this year and that will spur the series on and continue to grow interest.

David

Not sure I can say it, but I have been beta testing the new Panzer Battles title and it's going to
leave PBK in the dust! This will be the diamond of the Panzer Battles series for a long time Smile
Plays like a totally different game!
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
06-03-2015, 07:23 PM,
Ok. When can we buy it?
06-03-2015, 09:12 PM,
Dont worry, you can play the role of "deep throat" we never are going to say your name Richie61 Whistle

Well, i have the feeling of a post-summer release... maybe september, they talk about 18 months to release a title for PzB in the "all works fine" mode... now we are in the 15th month... june+july+august=18.

Maybe something that can do is like with Kursk and release a little info about game, leaks in summer and when release date is closer reveal it a little earlier to release date.

Dust... ummm mud fight between PzB1-PzB2??? sexy Big Grin2

PD: interesting see that PzB1 was the king of the hill in sales war Helmet Wink
06-03-2015, 11:59 PM,
PB1 (as recommended by Chris Maiorana, on his site) got me interested in JTS games after long thinking them a bit board-gamey and hexy for my tastes. Now I'm loving them, and I guess a big part of that is that it's so easy to get a PBEM game going, which is - without a doubt - a completely different and more rewarding experience than playing even a really great AI. I think PB1 is superb, exactly the right level (between PC and SB) to get me interested, even though the tank v tank mechanics are a little odd (they play out as slow and not acute enough each turn but you still seem to end up with realistic casualty levels by scenario end). I think half hour turns is the longest it should be and would love to see PB shorten turn length, to the Napoleonic standard of 15 mins. The Napoleonic games play really well I think, but you don't have the complexities of modern ranged warfare to struggle with. Kursk is a totally intriguing and monumental battle, but it's definitely true what Jason said - it's a slog. I hope PB2 has more room for movement and space. I think they really should be releasing teasers/info for it already.

Peter
06-05-2015, 06:25 AM,
(06-03-2015, 09:12 PM)Xaver Wrote: Dont worry, you can play the role of "deep throat" we never are going to say your name Richie61 Whistle

Well, i have the feeling of a post-summer release... maybe september, they talk about 18 months to release a title for PzB in the "all works fine" mode... now we are in the 15th month... june+july+august=18.

Maybe something that can do is like with Kursk and release a little info about game, leaks in summer and when release date is closer reveal it a little earlier to release date.

Dust... ummm mud fight between PzB1-PzB2??? sexy Big Grin2

PD: interesting see that PzB1 was the king of the hill in sales war Helmet Wink

Dust= North Africa Desert2
Cheers Sandy
06-05-2015, 11:43 AM,
(06-05-2015, 06:25 AM)SandySandie Wrote: Dust= North Africa Desert2

Dust, dust? I don't see no steenkin' dust!!!

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20162.png]

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20163.png]

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20164.png]

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20165.png]

David