• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

H2H testing thoughts
05-14-2015, 07:04 AM,
My 2 Cents  H2H testing thoughts
Just throwing this out there, but am very disappointed with how little interest there seems to be in testing new scenarios. I hope this is no indication of the decline of interest in the Campaign Series, if it is, we might as well not even bother making the Middle East game. It is almost impossible to get anyone to volunteer to help test these anymore, and when they do, alot of times no feedback is posted. I think from now on, I will just bypass the whole process and just post the damn things, because this is just plain frustrating.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2015, 10:31 AM,
RE: H2H testing thoughts
I would not want to see the demise of any campaign series mods, for example I enjoyed the Korea mod.
To be honest here, I have avoided helping to test scenarios for a few reasons. Two of the biggest reasons are personal time constraints and when your feedback is basically ignored.
Please note that I try to keep my comments positive and helpful.
Having said that I would personally commit to several months of testing if required. However at this time of year I can only do a few turns a week and baring any other unforeseen circumstances eg. laptop dying
My 4 Canadian cents ( currency exchange rate )
Cam
05-15-2015, 07:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2015, 07:06 PM by Otto von Blotto.)
No 2cents i can't afford it so just some thoughts from a tester.

I used to be reasonably active with H2H testing for a few years and know it needs quite a bit of commitment on behalf of the testers, often playing the same game several times from either side while different options are tested. It's best to test with a dedicated long term opponent who you have played a lot so you know each others strengths and weaknesses that way account can be taken of who's the stronger player when setting scores on the games balance.

Also it's not normally a case of a quick write up after each test but a more thoughtful response to the questions even offering suggestions on what works or not and what might be improved and how, and not just on the form but also being asked in backup mails to clarify points etc.

The designers also need to be active in this process asking questions of the testers and actively pushing the game forwards.

That's quite a bit of commitment to ask of people who generally just want to play a game, I have cut all my gaming and especially my testing back in the last couple of years due to time constraints.

Hopefully some new blood will take up the challenge.
05-15-2015, 09:16 PM,
Thanks fellahs, and all very true! I had a tester a few years ago that was very good, while doing Korean War scenario's, but as with anything, that passes. No two people play the same, and I have personally played some of my Korean War scenario's, and Demise of Detachment Pelister over a dozen times each, easily! Sometimes, on the advice of one player, you tweak something, but play then with another, and it is skewed because of it! I don't get to design very many scenario's, because of RL and working on the new games, but I don't want to just make something and put it up on the scenario database either, it can be frustrating at times.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

05-15-2015, 09:19 PM,
I have a similar experience to OTBs.
At 59 I made a career change and it has put some serious restrictions on my game playing time and my real life time (period). Hamster Wheel

On the other hand, I was often perplexed by scenario designers who produced something that was not balanced, took comments (sometimes personally) and after a couple turns, completely changed the scenario, which caused a complete restart from zero, and then proceeded to alter the scenario many times while ignoring any further comments. This often added weeks to months of further testing. In the end a "PBEM" "balanced" scenario was produced that was quite simply, not balanced.
That was most frustrating and diminished my desire to devote the kind of time needed to test scenarios. Scale

As Otto stated, maybe it is time for new blood to step up? Hopefully they have enough experience to know how to balance a scenario. Judge2

I do hope you were joking about not producing Middle East. ME will breathe new life into the series. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not the way to go. White Flag

Buds

HSL
05-15-2015, 11:27 PM,
As the new CS H2H Custodian, I can't really put it better than what Mr KK said earlier:

Quote:Gents: Smoke7

I sincerely appreciate and thank ALL developers and play testers for their hard work and dedication to bringing these creations to "life" via the H2H Testing process! Big Grin As a designer myself, I understand the "love" that goes into scenario development! Large or small...

"Balanced, fun, and exciting H2H Approved scenarios are a "win-win" for all Blitzers" - Mr. KK

There's the 10 ladder points per SM factor to reward all testers too.

I sincerely wish that while we'd see some new blood here that the old guard would continue to be available for this effort as well!

Salute
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-16-2015, 05:27 AM,
(05-14-2015, 07:04 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Just throwing this out there, but am very disappointed with how little interest there seems to be in testing new scenarios. I hope this is no indication of the decline of interest in the Campaign Series, if it is, we might as well not even bother making the Middle East game. It is almost impossible to get anyone to volunteer to help test these anymore, and when they do, alot of times no feedback is posted. I think from now on, I will just bypass the whole process and just post the damn things, because this is just plain frustrating.

Sorry for your frustrations, but on my part it has little to do with interest and more to do with available time to devote. I'm tempted to step up anyway, but my turnaround time/reporting is going to be pretty slow. If you and an opponent are OK with that...

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-17-2015, 04:51 AM,
(05-16-2015, 05:27 AM)Scud Wrote:
(05-14-2015, 07:04 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Just throwing this out there, but am very disappointed with how little interest there seems to be in testing new scenarios. I hope this is no indication of the decline of interest in the Campaign Series, if it is, we might as well not even bother making the Middle East game. It is almost impossible to get anyone to volunteer to help test these anymore, and when they do, alot of times no feedback is posted. I think from now on, I will just bypass the whole process and just post the damn things, because this is just plain frustrating.

Sorry for your frustrations, but on my part it has little to do with interest and more to do with available time to devote. I'm tempted to step up anyway, but my turnaround time/reporting is going to be pretty slow. If you and an opponent are OK with that...

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm very busy as well, turns get out when I can, sometimes every day, other times once a week or so, not a problem at all, if you are still up for it!? It is, after all, supposed to be fun time, and a break from everything else, let me know!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

05-17-2015, 07:23 PM,
Mike,

I submitted a report for our game- had a blast, it's a good scene.

I'm available for another playtest- let me know if it's needed.
05-18-2015, 02:57 AM,
(05-17-2015, 04:51 AM)Warhorse Wrote:
(05-16-2015, 05:27 AM)Scud Wrote:

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm very busy as well, turns get out when I can, sometimes every day, other times once a week or so, not a problem at all, if you are still up for it!? It is, after all, supposed to be fun time, and a break from everything else, let me know!

OK, I'll give it a shot.

db
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email