• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

campaign AI question
04-29-2015, 05:19 PM,
campaign AI question
I have WW and FWW. In other Tiller games there are often scenarios which specifically state they are for solo play, can anyone tell me whether the campaigns in these two titles are designed for solo play, or at least can be meaningfully played against the computer, or are they meant really for H2H play?

Many thanks

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 02:59 PM,
RE: campaign AI question
I can't say what Ed or Ozgur have done in terms of play balancing, but almost all scenarios are scripted from both sides. If there is no AI script, the description will tell you that it is for PBEM only. This is pretty rare as most purchasers of Tiller games play them only against the AI. The main difference between a scenario designed for play against the AI and one to be played against another human is the victory conditions. The conditions will be tougher in a scenario designed to be played against the AI as the opponent is not as difficult. So you really run into issues when playing AI scenarios against another player rather than the other way around.

The campaign module in SB is not real strong. It is a series of scenarios with a common leader counter (which represents the player). If that counter is lost, the campaign is over, as you are either in the hospital, pushing up daisies or on a train to the Gulag. There is no hold-over in losses and the results of one game does not change anything in the next. You can play the scenarios in the campaign without using the campaign engine if you are so inclined. Some games have them included in the main folder. If not, you can copy and paste them out of the campaign folder and into the main folder.

Good luck and have fun.
05-02-2015, 08:07 PM,
RE: campaign AI question
Many thanks, Jeff. That's very helpful.

Peter