• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WHICH TITLE TO START?
04-23-2015, 05:12 PM,
WHICH TITLE TO START?
Just beginning to try out JTS titles, and so far really enjoying them.

I haven't a Panzer Campaigns title (except the Mius demo, which I like, though, as Axis there's not much movement involved) and was wondering if anyone would care to recommend the best Panzer Campaigns title to buy?

I would prefer Eastern or Med fronts (unless someone says a western front game really is the very best) and if Eastern would prefer to fight as Axis usually (so wouldn't want a title where, against the AI, it was mostly set up for you to play as Russia).

Crucial that the game is at least as much designed for solo as H2H play, as I would currently spend more time solo than H2H.

Many thanks to anyone who has time to answer!

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2015, 07:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM by 76mm.)
RE: WHICH TITLE TO START?
Hi Peter, I consistently recommend Smolensk 41 as a great game, but with one major caveat: in Smolensk, and probably most or all of the other titles, you're not going to have a great experience playing the full campaigns against the AI--the campaigns can last hundreds of turns and at one point or another the AI simple breaks down and can no longer fight back in a way that is any fun.

That said, I've played Smolensk and some other titles in solo hot-seat mode (ie, played by myself as both sides) and found it quite fun--certainly better than playing against a brain-dead AI. Not that the PzC AI is brain-dead or worse than other AIs, it just can't cope with the full campaign scenarios.

Personally I would not recommend the Minsk title as a German player. If you want to play as German vs the AI, you should pick a title where the Germans are on the attack.
04-23-2015, 08:08 PM,
Thanks, 76mm. Does Smolensk have plenty of shorter scenarios then, to play against the AI?

And is Smolensk better, you think, than the more recent Kharkov '43 title?

Thanks for the help.

Peter
04-23-2015, 11:47 PM,
Sure, there are plenty of shorter scenarios, but I don't play them so am not sure how good the AI is in them. Smolensk if very fluid, so I'm guess that the AI could struggle a bit, but maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't have the Kharkov 43 game but it sounds very good. The only drawback for me is the winter weather, which means troops slogging through snowy terrain, which for me is less interesting than the summer battles..
04-24-2015, 12:27 AM,
I don't own the title, so this is based on AAR's: One problem with Kharkov '43 in most operational/strategic wargames is that the Soviets don't have all that many units to cover the front with.

That means limited setbacks in one area can result in the Soviets being unable to win. In a game with loss recovery, the initially weak German units will also quickly regain strength and there are many German mobile divisions involved, even though they start seriously understrength.

I like Moscow '42 on paper, the only PzC title that I own, but waiting for Strela's patch might be a good idea.

Everybody seems to like Smolensk '41.
04-24-2015, 01:54 AM,
I have Moscow 42; I find the winter campaign interesting for historical reasons but kind of boring as a game (lots slogging through snow). In any event I played the Soviets vs the German AI in the full campaign and crushed the AI in something like 90 (out of 600) turns (not that I'm claiming to be any good, but the AI just can't cope).

I think that playing the Germans in the Summer campaigns for Moscow 42 would be more fun, but haven't tried it yet.
04-24-2015, 02:10 AM,
The problem with the ai is it doesn't have the ability to change it's mind if something is not working.

I prefer WF/Med and if you are looking for wide open terrain, Alamein and Tobruk have plenty of it and a lot of smaller scenarios. I also like Tunisia. I like all of the titles though. They all have something to offer. The best of them all is not so much the title as playing email rather than ai. Also, keep your eyes peeled and give a team game a shot. Those are the best as you get to be part of the entire campaign without having to do everything. But same goes for solo campaigns as making all the decisions is also rewarding. One other thing to not forget about is the Modern Campaigns. The PzCs/MCs system is just fun period.
04-24-2015, 06:54 AM,
That's all very helpful. Many thanks.

Peter
04-24-2015, 08:29 PM,
With regard to the game AI, can anyone tell me - is it wholly scripted, or is there some form of dynamic AI too? Will it react to my breaking through, for example, and try to head me off?

Thanks.

Peter
04-25-2015, 02:47 AM,
A little late but i am busy and cant post as in other times...

If you like East/Med i suggest you Budapest45 + Tunis43, why???

Budapest is a very good title because has good not monster scens, i refer that the biggest scen is small compared with monsters like Moskov42 campaign for example, apart this Budapest cover the late war where germans have to deal soviets with not the usual superunits and Hungarian troops are not a great help... soviets are as usual. Maybe the only thing i dislike on this title is the small size of battalions, only in the what if scen that covers no Bulge you can find more powerfull german units.

Tunis43 is like JT last releases a good title in scens, you have all kind of scenarios and the big campaign is big but not a monster... bigger than Budapest45 but you can deal with it if you find the time hehehe.

To see more about Budapest i add here a link to a spanish AAR of Konrad scen, you can see in pics what kind of scens you can meet in the title, the terrain is not big, but unit density is low and units are small and cant eat a lot of damage, you need think a lot where attack and how use reserves... well, if you have them hehehe.

http://puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/view...41&t=14386