• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WW2 in the Mediterranean
04-22-2015, 06:07 AM,
WW2 in the Mediterranean
Is anyone aware of any computer games covering WW2 in the Mediterranean? I recall an old SSI game entitled Bomb Alley from around 1981 or so for, I think, an apple system. But that's it. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Sphinx
Don't Expect Too Much
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2015, 09:44 AM,
RE: WW2 in the Mediterranean
(04-22-2015, 06:07 AM)Sphinx Wrote: Is anyone aware of any computer games covering WW2 in the Mediterranean? I recall an old SSI game entitled Bomb Alley from around 1981 or so for, I think, an apple system. But that's it. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Sphinx

Nope. On of my favorite computer games of all time by Gary Grigsby. I owned all his SSI games for my Apple IIE and have been waiting for that one to come out.Jester
04-23-2015, 05:30 AM,
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. For some reason I having been thinking about some of the lesser simulated campaigns - the Med, Norway, the North Cape, etc., as I think they might have some good playability and a lot of options that change the game course. I too have many of those SSI games, and my old apple II clone, somewhere, now gathering dust. Bomb Alley was an entertaining game in its day. I recall actually taking Malta as the Axis, and thinking about the Italian Navy - how could so little be accomplished with so much? Thanks again.
Don't Expect Too Much
05-11-2015, 06:57 PM,
Are you looking for tactical or an operational type game? Command Ops 2 has some med scenarios (Greece, med and North African scenarios). So does WWII Europe from Schwerpunkt. There is also Piercing Fortress Europa from Matrix, it has Sicily and Italy covered. Tillers Panzer Campaigns has a handful of titles in the Med/N. Africa also. These are all operational at some level though. There is nothing when it comes to the naval aspect that I can think of though...
05-12-2015, 01:04 AM,
(05-11-2015, 06:57 PM)gabeeg Wrote: Are you looking for tactical or an operational type game? Command Ops 2 has some med scenarios (Greece, med and North African scenarios). So does WWII Europe from Schwerpunkt. There is also Piercing Fortress Europa from Matrix, it has Sicily and Italy covered. Tillers Panzer Campaigns has a handful of titles in the Med/N. Africa also. These are all operational at some level though. There is nothing when it comes to the naval aspect that I can think of though...

Thanks - I was kind of looking for something with the scope of old Bomb Alley. Probably more of an operational game taking into account the naval and air aspects and decisions, as well as the land portion. As you note, I am not aware of much concerning the Italian navy. Cheers.
Don't Expect Too Much
05-17-2015, 01:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2015, 01:52 AM by Apollo11.)
Look at TWiE War on south front from HPS. Title covers all Mediterranean theater from Greece and Crete to Algeria and Sicily.
05-19-2015, 02:30 AM,
(05-17-2015, 01:52 AM)Apollo11 Wrote: Look at TWiE War on south front from HPS. Title covers all Mediterranean theater from Greece and Crete to Algeria and Sicily.

Thanks, I will take a look. Cheers.
Don't Expect Too Much
05-23-2015, 11:53 PM,
(05-19-2015, 02:30 AM)Sphinx Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 01:52 AM)Apollo11 Wrote: Look at TWiE War on south front from HPS. Title covers all Mediterranean theater from Greece and Crete to Algeria and Sicily.

Thanks, I will take a look. Cheers.

Is it fair to say that these games cover the air and land portion, but do not do much with the naval portion? Or am I missing the scope? Thanks for your reply. Cheers.
Don't Expect Too Much
05-27-2015, 09:21 PM,
On the strategic scale, Grigsby will eventually cover the Mediterranean again when War in the West also covers the first years of the war.

Aside from that, I'm not aware of any computer wargame covering the air, land and naval components of the war in the Mediterranean. That is sort of strange as the forces involved are not too significant in number, which should make it possible to model the campaign well.
05-28-2015, 04:53 AM,
(05-27-2015, 09:21 PM)ComradeP Wrote: On the strategic scale, Grigsby will eventually cover the Mediterranean again when War in the West also covers the first years of the war.

Aside from that, I'm not aware of any computer wargame covering the air, land and naval components of the war in the Mediterranean. That is sort of strange as the forces involved are not too significant in number, which should make it possible to model the campaign well.

Thanks, I agree. I think the war in the med would lend itself to gaming because of the many options available, and the fact that the forces were balanced until the end of 42 or so. I think a campaign game from 40 to 43 involving land, air and naval could be very interesting.

In my view, "Bomb Alley" from back in the day was an enjoyable game for those reasons. Cheers.
Don't Expect Too Much