• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Napoleon in Russia Project
04-05-2015, 06:42 PM,
Napoleon in Russia Project
Hello!

I hope somebody plays the Battleground series yet.
2-3 months ago I could access this site: http://nap.phxsim.com/downloads/
Where the Napoleon in Russia Project, tons of scenarios were stored. There were a lot of in interestnig napoleonic wargame ana[/align]lysis too. Now it's unaccessable. I could hardly find the link too.

Can anybody help? What happened, can I find the files somewhere?
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 09:17 PM,
RE: Napoleon in Russia Project
I don't know of any websites which still hold them now. I used to have them all. I have a feeling Scott Ludwig has them all. They were good games in their time but not really worth chasing after now.....there were quite a few bugs with them.
04-05-2015, 11:10 PM,
Thank you!

Yes, I checked the Napoleon Wargame Club (I see you a leader there :))
Do you know Scott ludwig, is He in the Wargame Club too? I dont really know that Wargame Club really, I just checked the site a few times, but It seems good.

Why dont you keep that games? I dont know, if it worth playing them, I was just curious.
04-06-2015, 01:01 AM,
As I say, the games were a bit buggy. And it's not so easy to install them with Matrix - I used to make multiple copies of NIR when I had all of them. Most of the games are now covered by Tiller anyway.

No need to join any other clubs. Blitz covers all periods. I will ask Scott if he has the games, he is really helpful.
04-06-2015, 01:40 AM,
Thank you!

I dont know when the next Tiller napoleon title comes, but I would like to see the early campaigns (Italy, Egypt, or the French revolution).[/align]
04-06-2015, 02:04 AM,
Hi,

Not exactly sure what I have or where it is.....I'd have to dig around. A shame the site is down again. One can hope that it comes up again a bit later. The owner is still around, as far as I know, but not sure if he is active in gaming or not at the moment.

I only used them on a old Talonsoft NIR disc. I have never tried and not sure how to load them with Matrix. I am actually not sure if they are compatible with the Matrix version, I think some were converted. That might actually be conversion to work on newer operating systems for Windows, now that I think about it....it's been a long time since I dealt with these Mods.

Probably between a number of folks in the different organizations out there, they can be retrieved and uploaded again to a new site, if this one does not come back up. That'd take effort and wouldn't be done over night. It should be done some day, as the original person who ran the NIR Project has passed away now. I'll have to add it to my to do list sometime, as I can think of 5 or more folks, who might have the stuff to help us achieve this.

Though I am sure in time, Tiller will cover most things. I am aware that a new game is well underway & progress is going good towards making it. Smile
04-10-2015, 02:51 AM,
(04-06-2015, 02:04 AM)SLudwig Wrote: Hi,

Not exactly sure what I have or where it is.....I'd have to dig around. A shame the site is down again. One can hope that it comes up again a bit later. The owner is still around, as far as I know, but not sure if he is active in gaming or not at the moment.

I only used them on a old Talonsoft NIR disc. I have never tried and not sure how to load them with Matrix. I am actually not sure if they are compatible with the Matrix version, I think some were converted. That might actually be conversion to work on newer operating systems for Windows, now that I think about it....it's been a long time since I dealt with these Mods.

Probably between a number of folks in the different organizations out there, they can be retrieved and uploaded again to a new site, if this one does not come back up. That'd take effort and wouldn't be done over night. It should be done some day, as the original person who ran the NIR Project has passed away now. I'll have to add it to my to do list sometime, as I can think of 5 or more folks, who might have the stuff to help us achieve this.

Though I am sure in time, Tiller will cover most things. I am aware that a new game is well underway & progress is going good towards making it. Smile

Thank you!
04-11-2015, 12:55 AM,
I have most of the NiR Project files in my computer as well. Let me know if there are any you can't find.
06-16-2015, 07:31 PM,
(04-11-2015, 12:55 AM)Havoc Wrote: I have most of the NiR Project files in my computer as well. Let me know if there are any you can't find.

Sorry for not replying, I didn't see your message.

Thanks for the help, I cant find any other link whick would contain these old files as yet.
06-17-2015, 03:19 AM,
(04-05-2015, 11:10 PM)Solyom2 Wrote: Thank you!

Yes, I checked the Napoleon Wargame Club (I see you a leader there :))
Do you know Scott ludwig, is He in the Wargame Club too? I dont really know that Wargame Club really, I just checked the site a few times, but It seems good. Why dont you keep that games? I dont know, if it worth playing them, I was just curious.

The BG games (designed by John Tiller) don't have any bugs in them. Rather, as a wargame abstraction, they have problems inherent to them that make the modern HPS/Tiller titles more attractive as a simulation; even though these modern versions still have quite a few playability issues too: For example HPS Waterloo does not have an historically accurate Waterloo battle nor an historically accurate campaign; both being complete fantasy scenarios. The original BG series all have amazingly accurate maps and accurate troop deployments; something that can't be said for many of the HPS Napoleonic titles (in addition to the severe problems with HPS Waterloo; HPS Borodino historical scenario is another bad joke).

Tactically, the BG series has a problem with cavalry charges in that it is possible to have 1000 yard charges and the problems aren't resolved in the HPS titles in which every unit is, in effect, a cavalry unit capable of outlandish charges (you need "house rules" to begin solving the problem)

All I can say is, if you want to experience Napoleonic wargaming, neither BG nor HPS will give it to you; you must go to France 1914 and East Prussia 1914 designed by Volcano Man to capture the mood and movements of Napoleonic warfare. When the Black Powder team @ HPS figures this out they may try to change THE GAME ENGINE for the Napoleonic titles which is the only way forward. Jonny Whistle