• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bulge 16.01s alt
08-15-2016, 07:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016, 06:59 AM by Plain Ian.)
RE: Bulge 16.01s alt
6th SS Panzer Army

[Image: 2016-08-13_12h39_33.png]

Lets pull back the curtain on the last German Army. 

I knew more or less the position of most of its Divisions and units. 1st SS has a firm grip of Spa and its King Tiger battalion is deployed here. 12th SS is holding the northern flank back to Francorchamps and 3rd FJD is holding the western flank. His defenses from Sourbrodt to the north in the Hoes Venn are pretty much as I expected. The 246th VGD is still moving up but is arriving in time as it looks like the 326th is starting to crack. 
There are a few other areas which also look weak but I'll look at them a bit closer in a close up map.

A few surprises though. 3rd Panzer Grenadier division is down south at Bastogne and Cesar is only using one Corps HQ (I SS pz Corps) to control all the Diviisons in the army. I SS pz Corps sorry I meant the II SS Pz Corps HQ is actually located down at Longchamps just north of Bastogne and has no units under command. I'm not sure why its there? The 3rd panzer Grenadier division which is at Bastogne is under I SS pz Corps command? LXVII Corps is in the Hofen area and also has no units under command. 

[Image: 2016-08-14_22h21_44.png]

This has left I SS Corps with a formidable amount of Corps artillery under command. Of the 885 guns in 6th SS Pz Army, just under half of them (435) are Corps/Army guns. 

[Image: 2016-08-14_22h22_59.png]

[Image: 2016-08-14_22h23_19.png]

Close maps coming up soon.
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2016, 08:16 PM,
Damn I make account specially to say that is one of the best AAR I ever read, those graphics and style.. I never play in this game versus other player but this must be amazing :)
08-16-2016, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2016, 06:24 AM by Plain Ian.)
6th SS Pz Army - Spa 

[Image: 2016-08-13_21h30_12.png]

3rd FJD
[Image: 2016-08-15_22h16_33.png]
The 3rd FJD has lost almost 1800 men and 18 guns since the start of the campaign on the 16th. After the opening battles part of the Division appears to have been detached to march west towards Saint Vith whilst the main effort north west through Andler towards Ambleve. 
The 17th December sees most of the Division across the River Ambleve and the Saint Vith detachment rejoining the Division as no resistance was met at Saint Vith. 
The Division appears to have operated in three groups. 2 Battalions providing flank cover at Sourbrodt. 3+ Battalions supporting 1st SS and its push along the Stavelot road, and the last group pushing north west through Francorchamps towards Spa with KG Peiper’s armoured units.

After Cesar took over it looks like he has collected the Division and has now placed it south of occupied Spa where it has been from the 24th onwards. However until the 12th SS was pushed up here it also fought defensive battles east of Spa holding and extending the northern flank.

The Division’s Battalion strengths on the 16th varied. FJR 5 were 600 men units, FJR 8 560-600 men, and FJR 9 was well under strength at 450 men each.  Most units are well below starting strength and as you can see half the units have medium to high fatigue and need resting. Sample below illustrates general strength of some of the units.

[Image: 2016-08-16_20h29_38.png]

III/FJR 8 appears to be in reserve just south of Francochamps. Its one of the Division strongest units with 459 men and Fatigue 1. However like all the other rifle units in the Division it is a D Morale unit and easily disrupts in battle. 

1st SS Pz Div
[Image: 2016-08-15_22h07_23.png]
It too has fought a chaotic opening battle which has seen it capture Malmedy then push both west and north west at Stavelot and Spa. Most of its armour under KG Peiper was sent north and eventually helped capture Spa with KG Hansen/Sandig capturing La Geize and Stoumont. 

Losses have been astonishingly high. I/SS Pz Rgt 1 (Panthers ) has gone from 38 tanks to 15. (its off map west of Stoumont supporting 62nd VGD) whilst the I/SS Pz Rgt 1 (Pz IV’s) has gone from 34 tanks down to 8. The King Tiger unit or s.Panzer Btl 501 which is the hex south west of Spa, has lost an amazing 18 tanks ???? All of these losses must be due to breakdowns?? Michael operated his armour in company units a lot and it looks like this has proved a mistake for each unit moving in T mode would be liable to breakdowns. The more units the more chances of breakdowns. 

1st SS infantry is also looking low in infantry strength. Those vaunted 750 men Battalions are all now down to 50%-60%. They are however reasonably well rested apart from III/SS Pz Gr Rgt 1 (KG Hansen) and I/SS Pz Gr Rgt 2 (KG Sandig) which have been involved in battles north of Spa. III/SS Pz Gr Rgt 1 and III/SS Pz Gr Rgt 26 (12th SS) won the melee but took stiff losses.

Interestingly the actual garrison for Spa is I/SS Pz Gr Rgt 26 of 12th SS and the hex to the south west also contains a strong 12th SS infantry unit II/SS Pz Gr Rgt 25.

SS Pz Aufkl Abt 1 of 45 armoured cars has been destroyed completely.

1st SS does appear to have a firm grip on Spa but its flanks do not look healthy. South of 3rd FJD I see a hotch potch of Pioneers and a scratch armour force based on the 1st SS Pz Jag Bn. Hmmm.  

12th SS Pz Div
[Image: 2016-08-15_22h08_13.png]

150th Pz Bde
[Image: 2016-08-15_22h07_58.png]
An interesting and colourful unit. Elements of it fought at La Gleize and at Spa as well. Its 3 main infantry units (I/KG 200, II/KG 200 and SS FJ Abt 600) have lost almost 500 men between them. SS Abt 600 was defending Spa on the 23rd/24th. 

The two small Company units attached (150 men each) are also badly depleted. Jager ver Mitte has 36 men left and Pz Gr Ko 7 has 92. Most of these losses were incurred early on before they reach Spa.

The artillery unit attached has lost 9 of its 120mm heavy mortars and is down to 3.

The armour unit Kf Abt 2150 which were Panthers mocked up to be Shermans? has a led a charmed life. I’ve ambushed it twice in the game and hammered it with artillery and it was also unlucky get trapped in Swamp when the weather unexpectedly Cleared. (23rd/24th) This meant the 3rd FJD lost a few men pushing me back from his vulnerable armour so that I could not destroy them. The rest however di him good and he recovered 2 tanks as he only had 4 on the 23rd.

Depite its losses the Brigade has low fatigue, even the Jag Ver Mitte unit which was chewed up helping the 12th SS Aufklarungs units east of Francochamps.

I've posted the close up map and the unit strengths of the 4 main units in this area. I will come back and edit this post and add some comments about the situation. I think from the map above you can see where most of the fighting in the last day or so has happened.

Only the 12th SS to write up. Tomorrow night I hope.

The 12th SS has fought quite hard campaign but suffered less casualties than its brother the 1st SS. Just over 2,000 men and 140 vehicles to date since the opening shots on the 16th. I think Michael pushed it hard on the first few days so Cesar has spent a while regrouping after he took over. 

What I'll do is show snapshots of the units positions for each day of the campaign and track its armour losses. 

I'll do that on separate thread.
08-20-2016, 11:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 04:59 AM by Plain Ian.)
12th SS panzer in the Bulge: 16th - 25th December

[Image: 2016-08-20_14h24_00.png]

First a quick chart of the 5 main armoured units in the Division. The strength reports in the game show s.Pz Jager Bn 560 as one unit but in the game it operates as two units/companies because they have different AFV's. There also appears to be a mistake in the scenario design as the SS Pz Regiment 1 is made up of two units both designated I/SS Pz Rgt 1? In the chart above I've relabelled the PzIV equipped Battalion as II/SS pz Rgt 1 as I think thats what it should be called in the game?
Anyway you can see the pretty steady decline of these units and the fatigue levels (colours indicate fatigue) show what days roughly the units were involved in combat.

16th Dec - 6am Day 1
[Image: Dec%2016th%206am.png]

Ok here is the Division at the start of the campaign with SS Pz Jager Bn 12 and I/SS Pz Gr Rgt 25 at Hollerath ready to move and support the 277 VGD. The rest of the Division is Fixed but ready to move with most of the armour at the back of the column.

17th Dec - 6 am Day 2
[Image: Dec%2017th%206am.png]

The Jagdpanzers are racing towards Krinkelt but appear to have taken some casualties in the first day. (2 tanks) Some more of 12th SS has been released and some of it appear to be in the Lanzerath area? Most of the Division is still fixed.

18th Dec - 6 am Day 3
[Image: Dec%2018th%206am.png]
Weather has changed from Snow to Soft. The battle of Krinkelt/Rocherath of the 17th are over. Bullingen has also fallen after a token effort to hold it. Interestingly 3 Panthers have been lost despite the fact the unit has not even been in action and is still struggling to clear Hollerath. 
Michael has detached a Regiment to support the 326th VGD (dark red inserts) just south of Schoneseiffen. 
The Bullingen area is jammed with 1st SS units but its 12th VGD units (red insert) which are over the Warche R. just south west Elsenborn. There are two KG peiper units below them bu these are just the tail of the unit, then main body is at Malmedy. 
The 18th will see the start for the battle of Elsenborn. 

19th Dec - 6 am Day 4
[Image: 19th%20Dec%206am.png]

Another day and Elsenborn has fallen. 12th SS units have led the way with most of its armour involved. Armour losses have been pretty heavy especially the II/SS Pz Rgt 1 PzIV Bn. However as well as attacking west to Elsenborn, the 12th has also pushed US forces out of the good defensive terrain to the north with the aid of the 277th VGD and overwhelming artillery. The detached unit from Schoneseiffen is now reunited. 
To the west 12th VGD appear to have dug and are obviously waiting on support arriving. The 3rd Pz GD is arriving in the Bullingen area, (dark grey insert) 
Further west KG Peiper is over at Malmedy and his King Tigers look to be heading north whilst the rest look west towards Spa. 
At this point if I remember right I was busy building defenses at Sourbrodt and Robertville and preparing to pull back from Elsenborn to the woods behind. I also had Paratroopers and Tank Destroyers from the 30th Diviison rushing to the Marsh hexes north of his King Tigers. (517th Para Inf Rgt which must have been attached to 30th Division during the Bulge?)
My battered 99th Division and parts of 9th Division was falling back north and the 2nd and 1st weer faaling back from Elsenborn. 

I'll take a brake and post this in case I get timed out......
08-21-2016, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM by Plain Ian.)
20th Dec - 6am Day 5
[Image: 20th%20Dec%206am.png]
After another fairly hard days fighting on the 19th, dawn of the 20th finds the 12th SS still pretty much where they were on the previous day. A link has been made with the 12th VGD at Robertville but most of the armour is still held north west of Elsenborn. II/SS Pz Rgt 1 has been particularly mauled and 3./s.Pz Jag Bn 560 must have been involved in the fighting as its lost a further 2 tanks. The 1./s.Pz Jag Bn 560must have been rested as its gained a Jagdpanther and reduced fatigue. 
KG Peipers King Tigers have reversed direction and have been directed towards Spa. 

21st Dec - 6am Day 6
[Image: 21st%20Dec%206am.png]

Another day and the 12th SS are still tied down in the Hoes Venn. North west of Hofen the Panthers of I/SS Pz Rgt have been sent to clear my defenses and link up with the 326th VGD at Monschau. I had stripped my defenses at Monschau and had begun a general retreat west. The arrival of a Panther Battalion speeded this up. I had assumed at the time that I was facing 40 Panthers but it looks like he was down to 31 by then........as if 9 made that much difference. I had D/E morale units mostly disrupted and little armour.
II/SS Pz Rgt 1 must have received a well earned rest as its starting to reduce fatigue and recover tanks.

22nd Dec - 6am Day 7
[Image: 22nd%20Dec%206am.png]

I/SS Pz Rgt 1 is still committed in the north but the rest of the Division looks to be on defensive duties or slowly pushing through the woods. The 3rd Pz Gr Div was starting to mount an attack from Sourbrodt and elements of 12th SS were involved. 

23rd Dec - 6am Day 8
[Image: 23rd%20Dec%206am.png]

12th SS resting and reunited again. It looks like Cesar is starting to transfer units west to the Spa area. On the Malmedy-Francochamps road you can see his armour leading the way. The 23rd would see costly armoured battles with 3rd US Armoured and heavy US defensive artillery support. The Panthers of I/SS pz Rgt 1 were not involved as they were presumeably resting after he pulled them out of the Monschau area. 

24th Dec - 6am Day 9
[Image: 24th%20Dec%206am.png]

12th SS armour still battling away south east of Spa. Fresh infantry moving up to Spa and also to relieve the 1st SS which has been holding the northern shoulder. 12th SS Panthers are at Malmedy. A Recon unit and Pioneers have been diverted north to help support 12th VGD (red insert).

25th Dec - 6am Day 10
[Image: 25th%20Dec%206am.png]

Dawn on Christmas day sees the 12th SS now firmly established as the main northern anchor at Spa plus it has taken over the defense of Spa with two fresh high strength infantry Battalions. The Panthers are now on the front line (hex behind the Pioneer units) and his other armoured units are now recovering behind this. 12th SS infantry has been involved in heavy attacks and assaults all through the 24th and most of them are committed apart from the I/SS Pz Gr Rgt 25 which is 2 hexes north west of Francochamps.
The 12th SS will probably spend a day in the front line whilst the 1st SS recover then be replaced by 1st SS next day. 
The only weak area is the area is the area north east of Francochamps next to 12th VGD. He has Pioneers and Recon units covering this but I guess thats why he has the I/SS Pz Gr Rgt 25 here plus the III/FJR 8 here.

Last map to come will be the VGD units in the Hoes Venn.......
08-26-2016, 07:33 AM,
Hoes Venn

[Image: 2016-08-21_21h55_51.png]

2nd last map showing the Hoes Venn and the Volks Grenadier Divisions fighting here. Most of them have lost their supporting assault guns but have been stiffened with Corps and Army level armour. I'll give a more detailed map of them in my last map.

12th VGD (B quality)
This Division starts the campaign as the best equipped and strongest VGD unit in the north.  It had a Fusileer Bn as well as a Pioneer Bn to support the 6 standard Volks Grenadier Bn's. 
It took part in the battle of Honsfeld and forded the R. Warche just south of Robertville and dug in. It was then involved in the push on Sourbrodt. It was also involved in the attack up the Sourbrodt-Verviers road supported by heavy armour of s.Pz Bn 506. (Tigers/King Tigers). Since then it has dug in and occupied defensive terrain west and north of the town.  

Casualties have been moderate. 1400 men to date. The Pioneer Bn is still at 90% with 492 men but most of the regular Grenadier Bn’s and the Fusileer Bn are down to about 350 men each. (They started at 560)

277th VGD (C quality)
After the quick victory at Rocherath/Krinkelt the Division supported the attack on Elsenborn and then pushed deeper into the Hoes Venn. The Division has also lost ground and has been pushed back during my attacks on the 24th. Its losses are in the same region as the 12th VGD at 1,500 men. However it started the campaign with a lower unit strength than the 12th with its Grenadier Bn’s having 430 men each. (66%) Unlike the 12th it did not have a Fusileer Bn. So the average of its 7 battalions is roughly 260 men with the lowest being 125 men and the best 350 men.  

326th VGD (D quality)
Has fought from Hofen to Monschau both of which I allowed to fall without much of a fight. It then pushed into the Hoes Venn but like the 277th has had to give ground in the last few days and is now in danger of being pushed back into clear terrain. Army level armoured units have stiffened its defenses and it looks like the 246th VGD will be used to support it. Its casualties have been fairly light at just under 1,200 men but it is a poor quality unit. Its Battalions on the 16th were at 83% or 642 men and it still has 1-2 units at 500 men but most are 400 or well below.

272nd VGD (D quality)
Only has 3 Battalions on the map and these were 450 men Battalions on the 16th. The HQ unit is 90 men so that gives us its starting strength of 1,440 men. It has not been involved in combat much and has moved forward as the front line has moved forward. The Division however now has 1,621 men so has recovered 181 men during the campaign with each Battalion over 500 men. The I/GR 981 has moved to support the 326th VGD.

426th VGD (D quality)
A late arriving reserve for the 6th SS Panzer Army. Its scheduled to arrive piecemeal in three groups on the 24th December starting at 6am then 8am then 12 am. But has only a 60% chance of arrival. After that it faces a long walk to the front line. Its green fatigue so I think Cesar has halted them during the night to conserve fatigue and since I had not made any major attacks on the 24th.
08-26-2016, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM by Plain Ian.)
Hoes Venn - close up

[Image: 2016-08-21_22h01_42.png]

So here is the situation on the 25th December. The only reserves Cesar has are the arriving 426th VGD a D rated unit. The 3rd PzGr Div has been pulled south to Bastogne but I presume will return ? (its still under 6th SS command) 

My attacks against the 12th VGS's left flank have weakened him (the 3 Bn's have a total strength of 988 men)  but he has reserves just off map to the west plus the Pioneer Bn 12 is in reserve and is a 492 man B rated unit. 

My low level persistent attack in the Hoes Venn against the 326th and 277th are also causing problems as these units are disrupting and not recovering. He does have supporting armour in place which although won't cause me casualties will make the hexes a bit more assault proof. He does have the 426th VGD but I don't thik he will try to defend with this in the clear terrain? he might be going to set up a defensive line at Monschau? 

North west of Sourbrodt he has a strong defensive line on the main road. As well as the 7 Tigers and 22 King Tigers of s./Pz Bn 506 he has 50 x 75mm A/T guns to guard against any armoured advance on this axis. 

I've also highlighted his artillery units. As well as the 4 Divisional artillery units (12th/272nd/277th/326th) he has the arriving 426th plus quite a few Nebelwerfers and Corps units. I have whittled down some of his Nebelwerfers but he still has an awful lot left.

I haven't tested his defenses yet but my plans were to begin making serious attacks on the 25th...........

Since I've posted German strengths for the 16th and 25th I might just post similar reports for US units........we will see.

Game was a blast and Cesar and Michael were great opponents. Different styles but they both kept the game going as long as possible. I never got to fight back but I think that is the way of most US players in Bulge games. The one thing that has surprised me looking at Cesars/Michaels files are the casulties he has taken in the advance. His tanks do take losses! When you think its a fresh 40 Panther Bn you are facing its really only 30? Not much consolation when he assults but its something to think about when you are half way through the campaign.......

Ian
05-01-2022, 09:41 PM,
(10-05-2015, 02:34 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: Turn 56 German - Results

Victory Point Status
[Image: 2015-10-04_17h16_35.png]

Currently have this battle going on with smurf and remembered what a fantastic AAR this was and wanted to check my progress to it.

I suck.  Or as I prefer to think of it, Mike is AWESOME.  Big Grin

Im starting off turn 56 with over 4000 fewer points.
Im nowhere close to Spa, Im not even on that side of the river yet.
And according to the "Americans" I deployed behind the lines, they are still holding bingo nights in Bastogne.
cheers
05-02-2022, 07:54 AM,
(05-01-2022, 09:41 PM)lezgo killemall Wrote:

Victory Point Status

Currently have this battle going on with smurf and remembered what a fantastic AAR this was and wanted to check my progress to it.

And according to the "Americans" I deployed behind the lines, they are still holding bingo nights in Bastogne.

Your analysis is spot on.......Mike is Very Good! Rolling Eyes Beat me easily in the Stalingrad scenario Break Out of Gp Zhuravlev. 

Let me see if I can find any pics of my last Bulge 16.01s alt where I gave up because it was pointless. I was the German player in it.
05-02-2022, 12:15 PM,
(05-02-2022, 07:54 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 09:41 PM)lezgo killemall Wrote:

Victory Point Status

Your analysis is spot on.......Mike is Very Good! Rolling Eyes Beat me easily in the Stalingrad scenario Break Out of Gp Zhuravlev. 

Let me see if I can find any pics of my last Bulge 16.01s alt where I gave up because it was pointless. I was the German player in it.

The artillery is intense.  Every time I fire up Mikes return I get a shiver down my spine.  I love this shit.  Helmet Smile

I'd be interested in seeing them.

Comparing my game to this one, we both have the allied losses in guns & vehicles almost exactly the same, but I've killed 42412 men so far ~5500 more.  He has pushed hard to get those VP's, as the major difference is in our losses:
MEN   14165
GUN   43
VEHICLE  296

Now if only dear adolf would get us those #@&%ing supplies...
cheers