• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bulge 16.01s alt
04-29-2015, 06:42 AM,
RE: Bulge 16.01s alt
[Image: 2015-04-26_19h43_20.png]

In the south he made one very careful assault and pushed back my 11th Tnk Bn entrenched in the woods.

He artillery barraged it 6 times for N/E (no effect) then used his AT guns stacked adjacent. The 75mm took out 1 tank and the 88mm took out the another. On the second last salvo my unit Disrupted. He then attacked with 2 Bns plus Pioneers (probably as close to 1400 stacking max as he could get) and pushed me out with 24men/1 tank losses.

I'm playing with Delayed Disruptions so he did well.

The 11th Tnk Bn fell back onto 419th FA Bn. He now decided to concentrate every artillery piece he had on this unit. All 18 M7's were destroyed. The last 7 were destroyed by salvo's from his Nebelwerfers.....which is why I go after them.

Strange why he did this. I would have stopped after about 5-6? But it shows how powerful the artillery is in the south and that even armour cannot survive in the Clear for long. He has made his point.

My only consolation was that the 11th Tnk Bn was spared and in fact did fire 3 TIMES during defensive fire against his A/T stack killing 1 x88mm and 11 men PLUS Disrupting one of his units! I take back what I said that defensive fire is crap.

At Boevange-sur-Attert I lost 2 armoured cars to some drive by shooting.
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2015, 06:49 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-28_17h54_41.png]

Bastogne are he pushed up against my retreating Paras and spotted my 707th Tnk Bn which I had pulled back. He sent every tank unit he had against it and killed 9 M4's plus heavily fatigued the Bn.

Elsewhere he used artillery against most frontline units and has moved the Panther companies of 2nd Panzer south west towards Longchamps. He is obviously still intent on surrounding the two previously cut off tank units.
04-29-2015, 06:57 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-28_20h24_51.png]

All US units listed took a moderate pounding from his ground forces. Artillery was fairly heavy as well. The French unit V Fusileers was well worked over.

Patrols have spotted two 3 FJD Bns sw of Franchorchamps so I will have to fall back again.

The Peiper King Tigers are operating in two groupings of XX so probably 20+ in each?

116th Panzer SW of Trois Pont inflicted heavy damage as I believe he has ALL of its armour in the front line....although I can only see two Panther X company units so maybe not?
04-29-2015, 07:08 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-28_20h54_05.png]

Verdun time in the north. All his artillery was concentrated against two units. 3-39th and 3-16. Losses must must have been almost 80+ each. Then same again with ground fire, probably more.

Surprise was an assault against two disrupted units I had pulled back last turn. I had assumed that he would not know they were Disrupted because of the Delayed Disruption rule but he assaulted without any prep artillery fire? Units were in Clear but IMPROVED. Results was 25 men/11 men 7 tanks (Attacker/Defender) and he got the hex.

Sticky situation because I don't have much infantry left here and my guns are now exposed. Once the Americans are pushed back at Elsenborn there is no way to move units easily from west to east!
04-30-2015, 05:01 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-25_21h46_44.png]

Allied Turn 37 Overview of south

80th Division arrived and were sent north to join XVIII Airborne Corps. Bad news however, the 4th Armoured didn't appear. I sent the armoured attachments of 80th plus a Regiment towards Redange as a temporary measure. I hope that the 4th will appear next turn.
D/702 Tank Bn of the 80th Division led the way north and met no opposition.

Not surprised by this as my opponent does not make lunges or unsupported moves, but concentrates on one target/VP at a time. After the fall of Ettlebruck he has been content with trying to crush 4th Inf/10th Armd before allied south map reinforcements arrive. Its morning of the fourth day and he hasn't sent out any units further eastward than Bastogne/Wilitz. Hmmm.

I've also started to withdraw 501st Para Rgt.

4th Inf/10th Armd have fallen back from Mersch to edge of woods to a new defensive line.

Close up of this next.......
04-30-2015, 05:19 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-25_21h47_20.png]

Allied Turn 37 Mersch front

New defensive line but its only temporary. I will withdraw once he moves up in strength. Best if I fall back on the 4th Armoured rather than wait for them to arrive. Mersch is Rubbled so this will delay things but heavy bridge at Berg is open so I expect his armour from Panzer Lehr to arrive from this direction.

11th Tank Bn is in the main firing line as its my best tank unit. I expect to lose 5-6 tanks from concentrated artillery and Nebelwerfer fire.

NO ground fire this turn from me as I ran away. It is possible to fire and fall back but not if you are plannign to move into woods.

I used my artillery against his spotted unis and scored 5 guns total. I'm hoping that these are Werfers but the spotted units show Luftwaffe? Possibly this is because the top unit is a Luftwaffen unit? 88 mm or Werfers, either will do me. His Werfers took out 7 x M7's with 4 salvos last turn.

Daylight next turn but visibility might not increase as forecast is 1-2 hexes.
04-30-2015, 08:25 AM,
(04-29-2015, 07:08 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: ...
Surprise was an assault against two disrupted units I had pulled back last turn. I had assumed that he would not know they were Disrupted because of the Delayed Disruption rule but he assaulted without any prep artillery fire? Units were in Clear but IMPROVED. Results was 25 men/11 men 7 tanks (Attacker/Defender) and he got the hex.

FYI, if your units are disrupted at the start of HIS turn, he will see the disrupted status. The delayed disruption reporting only impacts his seeing your units that disrupt during his turn, due to his firing. So if you pulled them back while disrupted he will see they are disrupted in his turn.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-01-2015, 02:49 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-25_21h48_59_1.png]

Allied Turn 37 Bastogne

Best moves I could make. 3-506th is Disrupted so had to be stacked for protection.
Rest of 506th fell back sw hopefully using woods for cover.
This has left a big open corridor to Flamierge but I'll be surprised if he dashes there. He'll go after the Paras in the Clear.

505th had to be brought down to keep door open for 504th which is trying to shepherd the two tank units west to safety.

106th Division units (423/424th) were thrown towards Compogne as a distraction. These units have spent 2 days recovering Fatigue in this area.

I've no armour to support the paratroopers and the paratroopers have pretty poor hard attack value. In fact a lowly VG unit is superior to a Paratrooper unit in this game apart from Morale. (although this is explained in the Volcano Mod notes)
Best tactic to kill tanks is to allow yourself to be assaulted and hope he losses a tank.
05-01-2015, 04:02 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-25_21h46_21.png]

Allied Turn 37 Bastogne - large view

This shows bigger picture at end of my move. No enemy movement south of Bastogne so far, apart from a Fuhrer Begleit Pioneer and a Lght A/A gun which I destroyed when I bumped into it.
Not quite sure what he'll do but I expect 2nd Panzer/FBB/26th to continue on to Flamierge?

VIII Corps still withdrawing south.

XVIII Corps covering but plan is for it to fall back as well....somehow.

Actually when I look at this picture things are looking grim......lets hope he doesn't move quickly and continues his cautious approach.
05-01-2015, 06:53 AM,
[Image: 2015-04-25_21h45_25.png]

Allied Turn 37 Trois Ponts

Not much happened here. I pulled back from Lierneux and sent CCR/7AD towards Trois Ponts. The Tank Bn and Armourd Bn are well rested and fresh. I'll defend the woods area to south of Rarmont.

1-117th and 99th both pulled back. 99th is Disrupted with Fatigue 111 and Morale E. Its not much of a front line unit really.

Strange situation. Not the best way for him to take Trois Ponts? I probably put him off advancing along the Liernieux - Rarmont axis because I kept both CC's of 7th Armoured here. I did think of sending units into the woods to cut his supply but I'd end up losing them.

I'll probably abandon Trois Ponts shortly after I blow the bridge there.