• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question to Ed about FWW..if your around?
03-01-2015, 05:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015, 06:03 AM by Wodin.)
Question to Ed about FWW..if your around?
OK is either Loos or Neuve Chapelle on any of the maps in the game? I fancy making some new scenario's. I also fancy making a 1st and 2nd battle of Ypres scenarios.

Also how come Gas was never given any lethality? Even if it was a low score...

I also thinking MG's should have an X reliability...during the first day of the Somme for instance German MG's fired all day between 10,000 rounds a gun upto 15,000. As we can't have ammo stockpiles then I think MG'S should have an X rating. I'm changing it on my game anyway.

Also just wondering why grenades and things like spades and bats with nails don't have an assault rating?

If I give Gas a small amount of lethality will the gas mask protect the men or not? If not then I will drop my idea of giving Gas a 2 for lethality.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2015, 10:40 PM,
RE: Question to Ed about FWW..if your around?
Hey Jason. Sorry to barge in to your (unanswered) post. I just bought this WW1 title and was wondering if there are any mods for it you would recommend?

Cheers,

Peter (Phoenix, John Connor)
04-23-2015, 02:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015, 03:05 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Question to Ed about FWW..if your around?
To answer the questions:

Gas doesn't work in the way that you think, giving it lethality doesn't really do anything IICR, but I could be remembering it wrong. Gas essentially is a disruptor in SqB, which is fine with me given that disruption and the inherent gas effects (units without gas masks cannot fire at all, cannot recover from disruption or demoralization and cannot rest) essentially making them helpless. Units with gas masks have have their fire value cut in half. The intent is that gas is used to disrupt your enemy so you can assault them and fire on them with little resistance. Of course the issue is (and was, historically) is that gas is not controllable and spreads, and it had to be used quite carefully and selectively lest it bogs the attack down.

In regards to MGs with X reliability, 10,000 and 15,000 rounds is not very many to be honest -- when you consider an entire day. The point about the MGs not being "X" is that they MUST stop firing at some point, they cannot sustain fire indefinitely. The primary reason for this would be issues with overheating and gathering more ammunition. Of course the same issue exists with field guns as well but less so from what I have read, and not so much of an issue given the time span of a typical SqB scenario. So, the point is that the MGs should be fired selectively, then rested on hold fire. During this time it will recover (cool down and gather more ammo). Its not like it can only fire once or twice either, the idea is that you just shouldn't be able to fire nonstop. Feel free to change this in your game however, but IMO they were deadly enough as they are. ;)

Regarding assault ratings for grenades: that is not what they were intended for in this title. They are weapons to use on enemy units that are adjacent BEFORE you assault them - kind of like satchel charges. In later period titles this is included into the unit's assault rating, but in SqB:FWW there are several reasons while grenades are specific weapons -- this is mentioned in the notes in the "Equipment, unique items
Squad" section on page 27.

Regarding spads and spiked bats and assault ratings: they DO have assault ratings. My only guess is that you are looking at the weapon and not the load in the data editor. All you have to do is mouse over the weapon in the game and hold right mouse button and see its assault rating. ;)
Send this user an email