• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Battle of Normandy
05-16-2015, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM by Haplo_Patryn.)
RE: The Battle of Normandy
Very nice AAR. How many time do you spend per turn, btw (giving orders, watching the enemy turn ,etc)?
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2015, 09:04 PM,
(05-16-2015, 08:44 AM)Haplo_Patryn Wrote: Very nice AAR. How many time do you spend per turn, btw (giving orders, watching the enemy turn ,etc)?

Thank you very much! Helmet Smile

Well, I don´t remember exactly how long it took back then with these turns you see (we´re already at turn 135 with my opponent today, so the turns you see are at least one year old), but now it takes within an hour, but the frontline is shorter in my current turns and most of the units are simply sitting in place firing on the enemy. But what you can see here, I think it took something over an hour back then.

My usual procedure is: Watching the battle replay from my opponent´s move in fast mode, then bringing up artillery dialog and firing the artillery units one by one, then moving/firing with the rest of the units and in the end moving the reinforcements towards the front. As I´ve said, the turns are faster now, the campaign turned into a real attrition battle.
09-28-2015, 06:48 AM,
JUNE 10th, 1944
DAY 5

Situation report
06:00 hrs

[Image: 2z7e805.jpg]

Allies still push hard inland, especially from the Omaha sector towards St-Lô, while heavy fighting continues all over the rest of the front as well.

St.Mere Eglise

[Image: 34q0chx.jpg]

Another change of the situation at the Etienville sector. Although the bridges to the W of St. Mere Eglise are still blocked by our forces, practically leaving the enemy on the other side of the river in isolation for the whole night, a group of paras was able to take another bridge to the W of Ftesville during the night, forcing the tired Luftlande companies to withdraw and rest. This allowed resupplying the isolated units, so the victory slipped away again in this tactical struggle.

Carentan

[Image: 14dzl88.jpg]

At least one quiet sector during the night, mainly because all possible roads to Carentan are blocked by destroyed bridges. FJ.Regt.6 is on some fighting recon to check if there are not some bridges being build by American engineers. Nothing like that is happening. Meanwhile, Omaha forces are spotted marching and driving south towards St.Lô.

St.Lô

[Image: 25quh5l.jpg]

The Americans are pushing hard towards St.Lô, no signs of them slowing down by themselves any soon. Fallshirmjägers arrive by trucks trying to stop them, but the pressure is high. The situation at Aire is still not solved, Engineers are out of action for now, no chance they will be able to destroy the bridge. Two more companies are almost at the bridge, will they make it in time to destroy it?

Caumont

[Image: 106kp48.jpg]

17th SS is reaching the front and it already managed to trap a small group of American tanks and infantry with the cooperation of Panzer Lehr´s engineers. From Balleroy, the enemy starts to push south again right from the morning.

Hottot

[Image: 2ngansy.jpg]

It was pretty long ago here guys, I won´t be able to report exact numbers, but there are and will be tens and tens of tanks burning here, especially Shermans and other types of Allied vehicles. Hottot will be a deadly place for tanks during the next few days. At this moment, there are only 32 SS soldiers defending the village, as the Panthers had to withdraw and regroup.

Caen

[Image: 23ma6o7.jpg]

No night rest here and the vicious fighting continues right to another day. English and Canadian troops are reaching the city itself...
09-28-2015, 06:53 AM,
Hi to everybody that follows this.

It´s been some time again, but I´m back. I had some interesting times, I was not able to continue in this because I knew I wouldn´t do it with such passion as before. I quit my previous job, which is not always an easy decision, but I was able to find new, so I´m breathing quite better now Helmet Smile .

Another factor was that the game itself was advancing very fast, almost a turn a day constantly. Now the game itself is finished, so instead of taking another big game I´m filling this empty slot with working on this AAR.

Hope you will enjoy it again, I´ll try to post at least one full day in a week.