• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Battle of Normandy
02-07-2015, 06:55 AM,
The Battle of Normandy
Gentlemen,

I always enjoyed reading and studying AARs posted here, and always though there could be more. I also always wanted to post some, telling myself when beginning a new game - I will do so finally! I believe I´m not the only one who thinks so, but the time issues sometimes make one happy he was at least able to actually play his turn, right? I´ve got plenty of time these days, and some very interesting campaigns going on, where I´m already far enough to be sure it´ll be played probably ´til the end or at least near to it.

One of them is my fight against Carl Amling in the Operation Overlord campaign from Normandy ´44 title, a great and tense game, tough batttle of attrition in a difficult terrain of bocage country. We are closing the end of the 9th day (over 80 turns out of 250) and I will try to show all of the previous combat in this AAR. First days will be shown from more a strategic view, showing general situation and some tactical situation reports, following important points in the battle. This is because firstly, I don´t remember everything from back then (game started in December 2013), and secondly, as we will approach the most recent fighting, the focus will balance more between the strategic view and tactical one, ultimately swithing to the full tactical reports and planning once cathing with the most recent combat, at least I plan so.

As you can see, after a year and something, we went through 9 days out of 25, having some pauses as it happens always, I cannot promise it´ll be played ´til the complete end of the day 25, though I hope so as I really enjoy this game. Many AARs seems to be unfinished, following the fate of the games played themselves, wish us luck not to be the case.

I´ll start with the day 1 AAR right away, I hope you will enjoy it guys!Helmet Wink

PS: I won´t start with any introduction about the general situation in Normandy prior to the combat, as you all surely know the facts very well, instead, I will switch directly to the situation reports, starting with the morning of 6th June.
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2015, 07:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 08:17 AM by Fhil.)
RE: The Battle of Normandy
JUNE 6th, 1944
DAY 1

Situation report.
06:00 hrs

During the night between 5th and 6th June, several thousands enemy paratroopers were dropped behind the Normandy coast, followed by amphibious landings on the local beaches:

[img][Image: 2s8foz6.jpg][/img]

From west to east, situation on 06:00hrs in all sectors:

St.Mere Eglise

[Image: 2gtvwk2.jpg]
[/color]
There are two American airborne divisions dropped here. The 82nd captures bridges across the river Merderet, and by the first light it heads towards another important objective - Etienville, while the 101st dropping behind the coast, isolating all artillery batteries supposed to shell the local beach. There is not much the local units of 91.Luflande Division and those of 709. Infanterie Division can do, situation is pretty chaotic. On the coast, American 4th Infantry Division lands on the beach into local minefields.

Treviers

[Image: wj80t4.jpg]

352. ID reports American forces landing at the beaches against it´s bunkers and pillboxes, with American rangers taking St Piere du Mont objective. There are units from four divisions landing here - 1st, 2nd, 29th and 30th. All artillery units ordered to shell the beaches.

Bayeux

[Image: s4m803.jpg]

British (50th ID to the left) and Canadian (3rd ID to the right) units landing here against the 716. ID pillboxes and bunkers. Only few local tactical reserves available here to counter this landings.

Caen

[Image: 29zwxo5.jpg]

Enemy paratroopers dropped here during the night as well, these being identified as the British 6th Airborne Division. They quickly sized an important bridge at Benouville, creating aprox. 10x5 kms wide bridgehead over the Orne river. British 3rd ID lands at Riva Bella and will surely try to make contact with the paras as soon as possible. To the east of Caen, some of the units of 21. PzD are positioned.
Task here is obvious - recapturing the bridge, isolating the paras or at least driving them over the bridge to the western bank of the river. The bridge has to be destroyed then.

[color=#006400] The game begins, let´s say that during the first day, it´s about how long you can hold the Allies on the beaches and how will you handle those paratroopers. For Axis player, most of the units are Fixed, so he has to fight and shoot with all he can and available to inflict as much as damage as possible to the landing units while they are vulnerable on the beaches. Next report will show us the situation in the middle of the day.
02-07-2015, 11:19 PM,
Situation report
12:00 hrs

St. Mere Eglise

[Image: vmrxfn.jpg]

American units from the beach and paratroopers almost in contact, last defenders holding the bunkers against overwhelming enemy forces. St. Mere Eglise and it´s surrounding is almost fully under enemy control. There are two very important objectives in this area, which has to be controled in order to keep the invading forces in check on this part of Normandy - heavy bridges at Carentan and Etienville. Fallshirmjäger Regt 6 splits in order to reinforce the weak forces holding those two. I. Btl reaches the latter already, luckily engineers from 91.Luftland.Div. didn´t blow up the bridge there yet, instead makes contact with the isolated PzJ.Kp.191 that keeps 82nd´s paras from reaching the bridge. II.Btl is on the way and III.Btl already digging in at the bridges to the north of Carentan. In front of them is a screening force from 91.Luftland.Div´s III/GR. 1058, holding St. Come du Mont.

Treviers

[Image: 9091ec.jpg]

All bunkers and pillboxes are still in 352.ID´s hands, American units pinned down on the beaches. Many Allied ships approach closer to the coast, shelling the defenders´ bunkers. Some of them will be destroyed there by our artillery fire.

Bayeux

[Image: qx73bk.jpg]

British 50th ID advances inland some 4 kms, while Canadian 3rd division only slowly disrupts the bunkers and is mostly still pinned on the beach.

Caen

[Image: 2qntrog.jpg]

British 3rd. ID pinned on the beach as well (they are still not blowing up the AT-Dithes). Meanwhile, 6th Para.Div´s troops grow impatient and try to advance in all directions, some of their units getting isolated by 21.PzDiv. It´s Pz.Regt. 22 fully equiped with almost 100 pz.IVs is already on the way with orders of immediatelly counterattack towards the Benouville bridge.

I was suprised to be able to keep all of those beaches sectors ´till now, except for Omaha, where it´s harder for Allies to get out of. If I remember correctly, Carl then discovered he missed the AT-ditches and thus he didn´t use his engineers to blow them up to allow his tanks to assault the bunkers. This will be most fatal at the Sword beach sector for the 6th Airborne Division.

HINT

When dealing with amphibious landings as a defender, (Normandy, Salerno, Anzio, Sicily for example), but in other combat situations as well, my top priority target for all direct and indirect fire are opponent´s engineer units. Try to disrupt as many of them as possible, and even when they are all disrupted, when switching to ordinary infantry stacks on the beaches, fire at least few shots on them to make it more difficult for them to rally. Engineers can clear obstacles and minefields on the beaches and also have high Assault and Hard values. Also, when there is a hex containing units from more than one of enemy divisions, try to shoot and disrupt them in such a way that will leave the possible attacking force against your positions in as big mix of various units as it gets, keeping in mind the penalty applied to assaults containing units from various organisations. These were just some hints for new or not that experienced players Helmet Smile I will post some here and there when it comes to my mind.

Next report will show us the situation by the evening of the first day.
02-08-2015, 03:56 AM,
Situation report
20:00 hrs

Allies are slowly pushing from the beaches, but except for Utah and Gold beaches, they are having difficulties in advancing inland, not two of the beaches linked yet. Surprisingly, enemy effort towards Carentan was not severe, instead the paratroopers are pushing north of St. Mere Eglise. To the far right, chaotic fighting against British paras continues. First reinforcements are arriving - SS Hitlerjugend to the east of Caen.

[Image: vosyrp.jpg]

Carentan

[Image: 1219b2x.jpg]

Situation in Etienville sector under control, bridge is securely in our hands, medium bridge down the stream was destroyed by FJ.Regt.6´s pioniers. At Carentan, situation is also under control. III/GR.1058 is still holding St. Come du Mont, while pioniers from 352.ID arrive to destroy all local bridges. Heavy fighting arrises on the opposite side, as Americans try to take Ftesville.

Treviers

[Image: 2jcjb4n.jpg]

We lost some of the fortified bunkers and pillboxes, but the Americans here are kept at bay for now. No reinforcements are sent to this sector for now. There are units of Stugs and Marders ready behind the coastal defences.

Bayeux

[Image: 2ed2tfn.jpg]

British 50th ID supported by various tank, engineer and infantry units advances some 10-12kms inland, with their forward units some 4 kms from Bayeux. There are no units able to stop or at least slow down their advance to the west towards beach Omaha, while the right wing is being reinforced by panzer grenadiers from 21.PzDiv. Canadians at beach Juno are still locked there.

Caen

[Image: 2uo2u81.jpg]

During afternoon hours, 21.PzDiv´s units conterattacked towards the important bridge following the eastern bank of the Orne river, seizing it at 16:00 on both sides, effectively cutting-off the 6th Airborne division.

[Image: 21jnm80.jpg]

British paratroopers reacted with regrouping towards the bridge, somehow trapping the 21.PzDiv´s Kampfgruppe itself in a small pocket in the process. During intense combat, most of our units get Low on Ammo. There´s no panic though, as many paratrooper units are disrupted, thus lacking enough power to contain this pocket. We have to break out, regroup, and try again with a better coordinated effort while not underestimating the enemy this time. As the British Sword forces are not coming yet, we must quickly dig-in deeply at Benouville, taking the best out of this chance.

Victory Dialog at 20:00 hrs:

[Image: 33msk5i.jpg]

That´s all for now, I will continue tomorrow with the second day, hope you´re enjoying this.Helmet Wink
02-11-2015, 05:45 AM,
It's always nice to read an AAR, thanks for the effort!

I do have a question, if that's alright: the first turns being from December 2013, you might not recall it, but do you remember anything about how parts of 21st Panzer were pocketed? It's difficult to imagine how that happened based on the first Caen screenshot in your last post, which shows the 6th Airborne in a bad position.
02-11-2015, 06:59 PM,
Hello,

1. Sorry I didnt posted day 2 yet, Im lying sick in the bed since Saturday, dont have enough energy.
2. Well, I really dont remember exactly as you say, I think I pushed all units near to the bridge too fast. You must remember one thing for this AAR, that is all screenshots show situations at the beginnings of my turns, as Im simply downloading the turns from my mail and reopening them and making shots. Once I will reach recent turns, I will make shots after I have moved everything. Thats why it must look strange here and there until then.

I hope I will feel better finaly today and will post something today. I will gladly welcome any questions Helmet Wink
02-14-2015, 08:01 AM,
JUNE 7th, 1944
DAY 2

Situation report
06:00 hrs

[/b]Carentan[/b]

[Image: 2utt2bp.jpg]

Not much has changed in Etienville-Ftesville sector, while at Carentan, the III/GR.1058 withdrawed after midnight behind the river, to take some rest. Pioneers from the 352.ID (two companies)are trying to destroy all bridges in the area, while another company from the Fallshirm.Regt.6 is on the way to join this effort. At Hill 30, Schnelle Brigade 30 is grouping to act as reserve in case the American paratroopers attack over the bridges.

Treviers

No news arrive from this part of the coast, fighting for the coastal strongpoints continue, enemy took two more positions but that´s all for now.

Bayeux

[Image: 2dj9zkp.jpg]

Here, the British forces advanced east during the night and joined with Canadians, thus creating one 23kms-wide bridgehead. PzG.Regt.192 from 21.PzDiv together with some old French Somua 35 tanks and 9 88mm Flak guns took positions from Sommerview to Colombiers, slowing down the British forces during the night. As the situation at Caen is under control for the moment, newly arrived 12.SS Hitlerjugend sends it´s SS PzG.Regt.25 to St.Leger to deploy and join this sector, with the task of keeping the enemy from the Bayeux-Caen road as long as possible, for possible next moves towards beach Omaha.

Caen

[Image: 30afbt2.jpg]

Although the British froces from the beach made contact with the 6th Airborne, it only saved those on the western bank of the river. The rest founds itself trapped even after the night as the situation resolved and the PzG.Regt.125 managed to calm down the situation and reastablish contact with the rear. Few of it´s units are still surrounded by British paras, but with almost 60 panzers in the area, this should be a quick process now. The main task is to keep that bridge under control until some of our engineers arrive and destroy it.
04-22-2015, 06:10 AM,
Situation report
14:00 hrs

St. Mere Eglise

[Image: 11tpgd1.jpg]

American airborne troops are pushing to expand the bridgehead, but the 91.Luftlande division takes positions to block them. Meanwhile, Gren.Regt.921 with recon forces from 243.Inf.Div. arrives to St.Saveur to act as a reserve in case the enemy paras get through Fallshirmjägers. The rest of the division´s regiments stand on the western part of Cotentin with orders to wait how the situation develops. Also, the 709.Inf.Div. calls all it´s forces to strengthen the Montebourg area, where valuable bunker and pillbox lines are still in our hands. Werfer Regt.101 will support the defences in this area.

Carentan

[Image: 34t3404.jpg]

Afternoon second day, two out of three important bridges are already destroyed, one remains. [/color][/b][/u]Defenders are in a good shape and in good numbers, looks like strategically the enemy here puts his priority towards Cherbourg. Some of the forces of the Schnelle.Brig.30 are engaged in the combat, but if the last bridge gets destroyed, they will be sent towards Omaha instead as the situation here will be pretty safe.

Treviers

[Image: 30wpdv4.jpg]

Most of the bunker except for the one on the flanks of the local beach are in enemy hands. 352.Inf.Div. still holds continuos lines, but they are getting tired after 24+ hours of combat against numerically superior forces. Once we loose the strengthen lines, it´ll be like breaking a dam unless the sector is reinforced quickly. But the forces to the east got their own troubles...

Bayeux

[Image: 2hy9rfd.jpg]

Fighting in the Bayeux area is very rough, our casualties ammount quickly when trying to contain the bridgehead. PzG.Regt.192 already lost around 15% strenght, SS-PzG.Regt.25 around 10%, there are no significant panzer forces in the area as Hitlerjugend´s Pz.Regt.12 are covering the fron of Caen. It is highly doubtful that the Omaha sector will receive any reinforcements from this direction.

Caen

[Image: 30djd39.jpg]

There both good and bad news coming from this area, but we can consider this sector as tactical succes for now, thanks to the elimination of the threat represented by the English 6.Airborne Division. Benouville bridge is in 12.Panzer´s hands, while the rest of the paras retreated NE, knowing there´s no way they´re getting rescued by their comrades advancing from the beaches. Both 21.Panzer´s and SS-Hitlerjugend´s engineer companies are already at the bridge to cooperate and ensure it´s destroying. 21.Panzer can be then send to the north of Caen itself.

[u][b]Reinorcements[color=#000000]

On it´s way to the Normandy area is the 77. Infanterie Division coming from the west and heading towards Cotentin peninsula. Enemy aviation makes moving using main roads painfull, plus it will take the first units to reach the fighting area at least two days.
04-22-2015, 06:16 AM,
I would like to apologize for the two months of silence right after beginning this AAR. I do plan to continue it faster now to get to the actual figthing asap. I just took to much on my shoulders, creating some scenarios, playtesting it, playing three big campaigns and of course, real life TEEHEE

My priority is of course playing the turns, and for example just with Carl we exchanged three turns in this Normandy campaign yesterday! Usually it´s one a day, we´re finishing the 12th day already, there are many interesting things happening. But now I´ve set up a plan so I can regularly add content in here so as to reach the actual fighting as I´ve said. I would like to close the day 2 until Friday. Enjoy reading! If you have some questions or tips, just let me know.
04-24-2015, 07:00 AM,
Situation report
20:00

[Image: 2ibyl5l.jpg]

Two days of fighting in Normandy passed, two good news to report - the most important bridges in this phase of the battle are in our hands, resp. they were destroyed before the enemy made use of them. Those are bridges to the north of Carentan and the bridge at Benouville, all of these objectives of Allied paratroopers. But there are also sectors where the situation is getting dangerous.
There were nine American, five English and one Canadian division identified with several brigades and various supporting units. On our side, Panzer Lehr Divisions enters and moves towards Caen.

St.Mere Eglise

[Image: 24vln9w.jpg]

91.Luftlande Division is fully in combat, and in the area of Etienville it together with I/FJ.6 and Stugs from 243.Division it launched counterattacks against the American 82nd and even managed to isolate several paratrooper units. But then there came tanks from 4th, 9th and 79th and rescued them, for now, but they are getting disrupted as well quite fast. The American paratroopers are facing similar fate like their English comrades from the 6th Airborne if they don´t rally up soon. This sector is considered stabilized, most enemy units from the beach head towards [/i]Montebourg and it´s heavy defensive lines.

Carentan

[Image: 4pwd1v.jpg]

A great success reported from Fallshirm.Regt.6 - in cooperation with two companies from 352.Inf.Div. their engineers destroyed all three bridges leading to the vital objective of [i]Carentan
, effectivelly isolating the VII.Corps on Utah beach from the rest of the loadings. There are two medium bridges on the further east covered by 352.Div´s infantry, but as these cannot support heavy vehicles, Americans will need engineer bridges to reach the town. Judging by the absence of significant reinforcements from the beach landings, it looks like this objective is not a priority in Allied command. For us, it means that at least the Schnelle.Brig.30 can reinforce the crumbling defences in Omaha sector.

Trevieres

[Image: 1zyzipe.jpg]

Americans reached the vital main road in three places, most of defending units are disrupted, but they can afford only step by step withdrawal as there are simply no reserves behind them. SOme units got surrounded behind the bunkers, but they´re getting rescued soon. There will be no reinforcements from the Bayeux direction, as the English infantry cuts the road there too and reaches the vital town itself.

Bayeux

[Image: 9bk8rn.jpg]

Both 21.Pz´s and Hitlerjugend´s grenadiers are bleeding white while trying to slow down or stop the English infantry and tanks. A heavy group of Hitlerjugend´s Panthers reaches the frontline in the vicinity of the town, it´s Pz-IV companies fight more to the east separated to support panzer grenadiers. There are stacks of units getting isolated and rescued frequently, but no major breakthrough achieved by the enemy here.

Caen

[Image: 2dlucno.jpg]

Benouville bridge was destroyed, but the 21. Panzer is fatigued after heavy fighting and shelling from enemy aviation and ships. To the north of the city, mixed units of 21.Panzer, SS-Hitlerjugend and 716.Inf.Division are digging-in to slow down the English and Canadian units that are pushing heavily towards it. Panzer Lehr´s grenadiers are on their way here as well. We need to prepare some good defences to avoid getting this objective captured by them.

Victory Dialog

[Image: 2yl3a87.jpg]

After two days, losses favor our side in every aspect - 11 sunk Allied ships, 9 shot down planes, 300 guns and vehicles and over 20.000 men, a big part of those being airborne units on both flanks.