• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Most Useless
01-03-2015, 12:27 PM,
Most Useless
Here are my top most useless units in EFII/WF, in no particular order:

1) German leIG 18 75mm infantry gun: generally ineffective, whether fired indirectly or directly, cannot fire smoke
2) Russian 45mm A-T gun (long or short barrel): have never achieved anything of note with these units
3) Russian (non-ski) 1942 Rifle platoons: Russki rifle platoons were weak in '41, the ones in '42 are virtually worthless
4) US 30mm LMG sections: too weak in terms of firepower, not enough SP to have an impact, especially compared to German MG sections
5) French 60mm mortar: 1SP at full strength - says it all

And . . . go!
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 12:44 AM,
RE: Most Useless
I agree with #'s 3 & somewhat 5.
I use 1,2, & 4 in various ways to make them more than useless.

cheers

HSL
01-04-2015, 03:50 AM,
Boisforas here, no less of an authority than Alexsandr Solzhenitsyn used to call the Russian 45mmATG, "Goodbye to the Motherland."
01-04-2015, 04:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 12:23 PM by Schwerpunkt75.)
Do enlighten us, Herr Strasse Laufer . . . or would that be giving away too much?
01-04-2015, 05:54 AM,
I used t underestimate Russian 45mm AT, but they have one good feature. They are very good to be concealed in the woods or towns. Can act as hidden spotting units
Russians ATR are only match herre Big Grin

Also 45mm are still good for anything below Pz4 and halftracks from 1 hex distance. Combined with good concealment it makes them nice for ambush as well.
01-05-2015, 12:21 AM,
No secrets.
I've had success with the 75mm gun.
The American LMG platoons can be used to disrupt and/or absorb fire? Protect them with other units and move them in as close as possible. They do better in RS than in WF.
I have had the similar feelings as PawelM concerning the 45MM AT.

cheers

HSL
01-05-2015, 11:43 AM,
The thing about the US LMGs and Russian 45mm ATGs - I understand their uses, I just never seem to hit anything with them.
01-06-2015, 11:13 AM,
I agree, especially about the Russian infantry. I am playing a game right now where my PzVs are more or less ignoring Ivan's foot soldiers at one hex and firing at his armor at range. Haven't lost a single tank, even though my own infantry is not supporting the tanks at all.

Oh and I haven't hit much with the LeIG 75 either.
01-11-2015, 12:03 AM,
Hello All,

I find the Russian 45mm to be very useful 1939 to 1942. It has the potential to take any Axis tank of this time frame, is reasonably mobile and has a chance to be hidden. Now its value drops dramatically 1943 to 45 for sure. But it can still pop German armored cars and recce tanks. Also it can be used to put 5 or 6 FPS on infantry in a pillbox.

I feel that almost all units have a use or a niche in the game. I will try see if I can come up with anything completely useless.

Thanx!

Hawk
01-11-2015, 08:50 PM,
Yes, sometimes it does not fully reflect the idea of the unit though, such as with Russian (or any nation) ATR units in mid-to-late war scenarios. "Men: take your elephant guns and go and recon!" Big Grin

I've yet to play a scenario where I have too many units under my command Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com