• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

3D Map Variation
12-06-2014, 10:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014, 11:15 PM by dgk196.)
3D Map Variation
Hello...

This is a way of 'changing' the 3D map displays, in hopes of getting 'better' visual effects, with minimal 'art work' (art programs and I don't get along). I was trying to achieve the same kind of effects that you get when using Jisons 2D map art (great mod, thanks).

Before you do this, please make a backup of your 'Map' folder, just in case. First some basics... the name of the files for the 3D map graphics are... 3DNormal50.bmp... and 3DNormal100.bmp. That said, the idea is to replace these, without deleting them. One easy way is to put a minus (-) sign in front of the file names.

So, your name for these files will be changed from... 3DNormal50.bmp to -3DNormal50bmp and 3DNormal100.bmp to -3DNormal100bmp. This won't erase the files... you are just renaming them to make room for the 'new' versions.

Now for the replacements... in your Map folder you have two files which will be used to replace the two that where just renamed. They are 3DSoft50.bmp and 3DSoft100.bmp. Make a 'copy' of each of these and 'paste' them right in the Map folder that they are in now. This will give you files that should have the names... 3DSoft50Copy.bmp and 3DSoft100Copy.bmp. Now rename 3DSoft50Copy.bmp to 3DNormal50.bmp. Then rename 3DSoft100Copy.bmp to 3DNormal100.bmp.

I did this with the Kursk game and there is some improvement. You can do this for all but the 'Desert' games as their 'Soft' files are significantly different from the 'Normal' files. That is unless you really want to make the map look very different. Also, once I had the two 'soft' files copied and renamed, I found that I could just copy those and put them in the other game map folders.... once I did the minus (-) renaming of the Normal files of course.

The 3DNormal50.bmp (Keyboard 3) does not look as good as the 3DNormal100.bmp (Keyboard 4). The speckle or splatter pattern that was placed in the hex-field area reduces the visual difference between the map hex-levels and therefor reduces the visual color variation overall... an unfortunate situation that I can't fix... lacking digital art experience and skills. But if someone out there can help by making the hex-field one color (at least for the 3DNormal50.bmp) it sure would be appreciated.

Its not perfect... but it helps with the overall visual recognition of terrain height variations... making the 3d maps more user friendly. Hope this helps some....

DennisJester
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2014, 05:31 PM,
RE: 3D Map Variation
What am I missing here? I don't see any links to these 3D map modifications and would really like to check them out! Thanks in advance...!
12-14-2014, 11:00 PM,
Hello...

You are not missing anything, because I didn't post any 'links' to this. You see, all of the things that I am referencing in the post are property (copyright?) of other peoples work. All I did was make 'copies' of the files from my own programs and rename them. I'd like to post what they look like... but I didn't notice a procedure for posting 'pictures' on this site, so none where included, sorry.

If a step-by-step would be better as to how to perform this modification, instead of a narrative, I'd be glad to help out!

Dennis Jester
12-18-2014, 04:31 PM,
Hello....

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet... maybe some pictures of the result of the file substitution would help. The difference when using the 'soft' files as the 'normal' files is not all that great, but is something of an improvement, well you can decide that for yourself.

This is an image from the PzC Kursk game.

[Image: ScreenShot001.jpg]

This is an image from the PzC France '40 game. French and Belgian units around Givet.

[Image: ScreenShot002.jpg]

This is an image from the PzC Tobruk game, units deployed around Bardia.

[Image: ScreenShot004.jpg]

[Image: 3DNormal100x50.jpg]

As you can see, terrain height hexes that are only 'one level' from each other are sometimes not that distinct, but a 'two level' difference is very easy to see. I think this is because of the 'pattern' that is on the hexes. It almost seems to camouflage the hexes one to the other. Since the pattern is the same it tends to blend the colors associated with each level. But when using the 'soft' files in place of the normal files, as the new normal, there is some improvement.

Also, using the 'Gimp' program, I've reduced the 'brightness' of the 3DTrees and the 3DFeatures. Making these a little less 'neon' seems to help. Other minor details where making 'rivers' dark blue so they stand out from the streams.

Lastly... much thanks to 'Compass Rose' for helping a newbie.

Dennis Jester
02-21-2015, 08:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 05:48 AM by dgk196.)
Hello...

Its been a little while and I've been doing some 'experimenting'... and made some changes to the 3D display

.[Image: ScreenShot001.jpg]

The graphics files appear to be either too large or not in an acceptable format to attach here. So, if you want / need them PM me. There are only four of them... 3DNormal50.bmp... 3DNormal100.bmp... 3DRivers100.bmp... 3DRivers50.bmp

Dennis Jester
07-21-2016, 03:45 AM,
(12-18-2014, 04:31 PM)dgk196 Wrote: Hello....

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet... maybe some pictures of the result of the file substitution would help. The difference when using the 'soft' files as the 'normal' files is not all that great, but is something of an improvement, well you can decide that for yourself.

[Image: ScreenShot001.jpg]

This is an image from the PzC France '40 game. French and Belgian units around Givet.

[Image: ScreenShot002.jpg]

This is an image from the PzC Tobruk game, units deployed around Bardia.

[Image: ScreenShot004.jpg]

[Image: 3DNormal100x50.jpg]

As you can see, terrain height hexes that are only 'one level' from each other are sometimes not that distinct, but a 'two level' difference is very easy to see. I think this is because of the 'pattern' that is on the hexes. It almost seems to camouflage the hexes one to the other. Since the pattern is the same it tends to blend the colors associated with each level. But when using the 'soft' files in place of the normal files, as the new normal, there is some improvement.

Also, using the 'Gimp' program, I've reduced the 'brightness' of the 3DTrees and the 3DFeatures. Making these a little less 'neon' seems to help. Other minor details where making 'rivers' dark blue so they stand out from the streams.

Lastly... much thanks to 'Compass Rose' for helping a newbie.

Dennis Jester

What is the 'Glimp' program?
07-22-2016, 01:51 AM,
He surely means Gimp:
https://www.gimp.org/