• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is CMx2 worth it?
12-06-2014, 08:19 AM,
Is CMx2 worth it?
As a long time player of Combat Mission Afrika Corp and Barb to Berlin, I ask: is the new game worth it? I have put off buying this game for so long but have recently been tempted to take the plunge. It looks like it will cost about $95 for me to get the Normandy Bundle...How much game do you get for that? Does it compare to Afrika Corp in terms of content? If I get a year's worth of gaming before I need to buy a new module, I think I'd be happy. I just don't want to run out of options in a month's time.

thanks,
Mike
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 08:25 AM,
RE: Is CMx2 worth it?
Did you download the demo yet? Try that first to see how you like it and if your system can run it.
12-07-2014, 05:59 AM,
(12-06-2014, 08:25 AM)Floki Wrote: Did you download the demo yet? Try that first to see how you like it and if your system can run it.

As Floki says, download the demo and see how you like it and how well it runs on your system. Then it boils down to what suits your interests. CMBN has the most mods and scenarios. CMRT has the best vanilla graphics. CMFI is quite rich. For my part, I think CMx2 is well worth it. I rate it the best company level, historical simulation, tactical computer wargame available. But that too is a matter of tastes. Rest assured, you will get more than a month's worth of scenarios, campaigns, community mods for both solitaire and H2H play. Good luck and good gaming!
"Plans are nothing. Planning is everything."- General of the Army Dwight David Eisenhower
"There are only two leadership examples; 'Behold' and 'Beware'."- U.S. Army / USMC junior leadership truism
12-07-2014, 06:46 AM,
I think it is totally worth it. I have not played any CM1 since getting CMBN. It is defiantly a different beast though - the learning curve even for those with experience with CM1 is not small. Just don't give up and you will figure it out.

Also if you do go with the full CMBN bundle the current instal experience is, shall we say politely, sub optimal. There are instructions but a lot of steps and moving parts. Many have no trouble but occasionally something odd happens - if that happens to you make sure you contact their support guys. So far they have fixed up everyone. Those of us that bought each piece as it came out have a different install experience than someone starting out with all that stuff at once. So quite frankly none of us are much help sorting out install problems.
12-07-2014, 07:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014, 07:14 AM by grumpydaddy.)
Thanks for the info.

Is there a most common configuration for H2H play. I guess what I'm really asking is should I buy the vehicle pack. I assume everyone is updated to 3.0 by now, but will I put myself in the minority if I update to 3.11 via the vehicle pack?

oops, looks like you can update to 3.11 without the vehicle pack.

I'm going to assume everyone is H2H with 3.11 and no vehicle pack for the most part. Thanks
12-08-2014, 03:12 AM,
My opinion is you don't need the vehicle pack, you are up to 3.11 that will do nicely
12-09-2014, 09:21 AM,
(12-08-2014, 03:12 AM)Hedgehog Wrote: My opinion is you don't need the vehicle pack, you are up to 3.11 that will do nicely

It is done....I am now the proud owner of the Big Bundle updated to 3.11 (wow, what a project that install is!).

My only question now is....who wants a game?!

Thanks to everyone who contributed their opinions,
Mike
12-09-2014, 12:04 PM,
Just to be the wet blanket, I wish I had not spent the money on it myself. I have CMBN+CW+MG and have not played it for several months now. I enjoyed CM1 much more game wise, more units etc but CM2 does have much better graphics. I found all the PBEM games played out the same; infantry get wiped out on the advance even using woods and OW, tanks that can't see another tank shooting at them from 300m away etc.

Just my opinion and I don't think the demo will help you decide all that much really. I tried the demo, hated it, but decided to give the game a try. At first I really liked it but then I noticed every game was a repeat of every other one and it went down hill from there.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
12-09-2014, 12:24 PM,
Grumpy, I sent you a PM regarding a PBEM match.