• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

S41 : Making the jump out of bootcamp
11-17-2014, 01:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM by Drakken.)
S41 : Making the jump out of bootcamp
If I don't try and jump out of bootcamp, I'll find myself here forever. Helmet Wink

Looking for an experienced opponent for a small to middle scenario with Smolensk '41. I fully expect to get schooled, but I intend to put up a good fight and learn.

I propose Last Train to Vitebsk.
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 05:35 AM,
RE: S41 : Making the jump out of bootcamp
Hi if you have not found any one to play yet set it up and send it.

landser34 at g mail dot com
11-18-2014, 11:33 AM,
Sent.

Thanks!
11-23-2014, 05:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2014, 05:38 AM by Drakken.)
I've given up. Played the Mogilev River Crossing scenario with the Soviets. Tried to evacuate my center to more favourablr grounds, with units on my flanks, and after 7 turns my whole center find itself isolated and out of supply. Pocketed, with no way out.

I really need pointers on how to play the Soviets. They are brittle as thin ice. The Germans so much as sneeze at them, they get disrupted. I take potshots back, they get disrupted. They move to shuffle, they get disrupted.

What does the Russian player have for him to have a fighting chance?
11-23-2014, 07:29 AM,
I personally think that once facing a skilled German opponent, you can be skilled yourself but you won´t have much chances in Smolensk campaign. Played it several times, and it always depended on the quality of German opponent.

Played it as German - smooth way to victory. Played it as Soviet side twice - once I stopped my opponent pretty soon, but it was clear it was due to his inexperience. Played it second time against a very skilled opponent - managed to destroy GrossDeutchland Regiment and a full motoried division in a trap near Roslavl - didn´t change anything on the outcome.

The best experience is when opponents of similar experience meet there, though I think as I´ve said - even if two experienced opponents meet here, if that Axis opponent is experienced, he wins.
11-25-2014, 06:25 AM,
(11-23-2014, 05:25 AM)Drakken Wrote: I've given up. Played the Mogilev River Crossing scenario with the Soviets. Tried to evacuate my center to more favourablr grounds, with units on my flanks, and after 7 turns my whole center find itself isolated and out of supply. Pocketed, with no way out.

I really need pointers on how to play the Soviets. They are brittle as thin ice. The Germans so much as sneeze at them, they get disrupted. I take potshots back, they get disrupted. They move to shuffle, they get disrupted.

What does the Russian player have for him to have a fighting chance?
You played a guy who has 690 games under his belt, while this is your first, a wider gap in experience could not be imagined. Wink

How about changing sides and playing the Germans? Don't be surprised if that "easy" victory is not as easy as you think, without actually seeing how you play it is very hard to give advice, I have played newbies who have done the most bizarre moves and strategies, some because they don't really understand military tactics, some because they don't understand how the rules work and some a mixture of both! Smile

I cannot overstate how important playing experience against a varied range of players is, you cannot run before you can walk.

Believe it or not we were all in your boots once, but like everything in life it will take some legwork to gain experience and begin to improve.
11-26-2014, 01:58 PM,
Take a look at this AAR from the Mogliev scenario played during a tournament on the blitz when Mr Grumpy was just a pup. Big Grin

Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 2

This might give you some tips for your next match.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
11-27-2014, 02:48 AM,
Great job DS, linking in your old AAR. I had forgotten how well written and instructional it was.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-27-2014, 07:33 AM,
Great find DS, I really enjoyed reading that AAR again after all this time, back to the old days when I only played PzC and had no idea that FWWC would take over my gaming life in the future! Big Grin
11-29-2014, 04:41 PM,
The First World War will never be thought of as the same with Mr Grumpy in the game!

FWW is turning out to be a great series. Kudos to all who were involved in bringing the the current titles forward.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp