• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wanting to buy HPS Nap Campaign, but hesitating
11-17-2014, 01:36 PM,
Wanting to buy HPS Nap Campaign, but hesitating
I am newly introduced to John Tiller Operational games, having only bought Smolensk '41 to learn the ropes. Still a bootcamper.

I'm highly interested in trying a Napoleonic Campaign game, but I find myself hesitating. I am not sure if I am ready, as from the screenshots I've seen these are usually massive, or whether they are newbie friendly or not. I have read the whole forum here on whether discussion there was on HPS Napoleon Campaign games, but I am still on the fence.

Should I make the jump? What are the principal differences with Panzer Campaigns? What weaknesses I should expect from the games?

I'm very interested in Napoleon's Russian Campaign, as it is the one campaign in which Napoleon broke his fangs in and so seem to be competitive to play as the Russians. However I do not see a lot of PBEM Campaign games with this particular theater. Also Waterloo is one I'd light to try out.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2014, 01:58 PM,
RE: Wanting to buy HPS Nap Campaign, but hesitating
(11-17-2014, 01:36 PM)Drakken Wrote: I am newly introduced to John Tiller Operational games, having only bought Smolensk '41 to learn the ropes. Still a bootcamper.

I'm highly interested in trying a Napoleonic Campaign game, but I find myself hesitating. I am not sure if I am ready, as from the screenshots I've seen these are usually massive, or whether they are newbie friendly or not. I have read the whole forum here on whether discussion there was on HPS Napoleon Campaign games, but I am still on the fence.

Should I make the jump? What are the principal differences with Panzer Campaigns? What weaknesses I should expect from the games?

I'm very interested in Napoleon's Russian Campaign, as it is the one campaign in which Napoleon broke his fangs in and so seem to be competitive to play as the Russians. However I do not see a lot of PBEM Campaign games with this particular theater. Also Waterloo is one I'd light to try out.

Thanks!

As someone who has been playing first the Talonsoft, then HPS, and now the JTS Napoleonic games I'd say if the period interests you then you should jump right in. Here is the link to the demo for JTS Waterloo; http://johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php You'll find the AI is pretty stupid so you'll have to figure that they are mostly meant to be played PBEM or possibly against yourself but the last few titles have included scenarios specifically designed for play against the AI so some progress is being made. Most folks seem to gravitate to the larger scenarios but there are a lot of smaller and medium sized scenarios with all the titles as well so you can find what you want to suit you. Napoleon's Russian Campaign is one of the older titles so doesn't seem to get the play it should but I think you can be assured you'll find folks to play against if you go that route. If you jump in feel free to post any questions you have and there will be plenty of folks to help out.
11-17-2014, 02:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM by Compass Rose.)
I personally find the NAP series to be my favorite John Tiller Series, with the ACW series running a very close second.

In case you are not aware of it, JTS offers a free NAP demo which can be found here:

http://johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php

The demo has a handful of Waterloo scenarios, which will allow you to get a little taste of how the series is.

Waterloo and Leipzig are my two favorite titles and are also very popular titles with several of the Blitz guys.

As with starting out new to any John Tiller series, it is always suggested that you select a title that you have interest in however, you may find that it will be easier to find Blitz PBEM opponents if you have Waterloo.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

-------------------------------------------

It appears I am a slow typer!
11-17-2014, 02:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014, 02:48 PM by Liebchen.)
I like them both. But they're definitely different. I was just commenting on this to someone. To me, anyway, it seems like this:

Panzer Campaigns cover a region or "area of operations," where there are entire armies and fronts facing off over a great variety of environments. There will be rivers and maybe coastlines, but with the help of engineers, the rivers can be crossed, and where there's a coastline the odds are decent that there will be an amphibious landing. The scale can be vast or modest, depending upon the scenario, but it'll usually be a few days of operations to a few weeks. What you see of the enemy depends upon where your units are, because you can't really see very far, only a few hexes away (if that).

In the Napoleonic campaigns, the action is more localized. Instead of covering a region, it covers a battlefield, one that you can often see straight across were it not for those hills, towns, etc. So cover is crucial if you want to use fog of war. The result is that the Nappy fights will generally be over a town or some villages, a river crossing or two, a hill/ridge or three, and it will last a day or two (maybe three, in the bigger ones). There may be a few patches of woods to mix things up. Rivers can only be crossed at bridges. You can't make bridges, although at times the bridges on the map may have been made (pre-scenario) by engineers (I'm looking at you, Wagram!).

In Panzer Campaigns, your formations will be able to roam around, likely with a perimeter of sorts, and generally prefer to stay within radio range of their HQ. In Nappy games, your formations will usually want to stick fairly close together, as in, form a line of battle, shoulder to shoulder (or so it seems on the Tiller maps).

(BTW, in the Nappy games, the operations allow you to have the "regional feel" played over several scenarios.)

So, having come from the WW2 genre, myself, I can only say that the Nappy games are a good and fun change of pace.
11-18-2014, 01:05 AM,
You should try the Waterloo campaign, there are many people here that play PBEM, and Waterloo is a real good title.
there are a lot of big campaigns that cover all 4-5 days of battle, and many hipotetical situation on a very big map; if you like monster game this is the title to get.
You'll find that the napoleonic period is covered very well by JTS.
If you want can check on this site too, there are a lot of friendly players that can help you with a training on this game.
Antonio
http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Napann1.htm
11-18-2014, 01:43 AM,
Also, over at the HPS site, they offer a free Waterloo Expansion Pack which includes 83 company sized scenarios.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/FreeFiles/L...20Waterloo
11-18-2014, 06:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014, 07:20 AM by Drakken.)
(11-18-2014, 01:05 AM)antoarc65 Wrote: You should try the Waterloo campaign, there are many people here that play PBEM, and Waterloo is a real good title.
there are a lot of big campaigns that cover all 4-5 days of battle, and many hipotetical situation on a very big map; if you like monster game this is the title to get.
You'll find that the napoleonic period is covered very well by JTS.
If you want can check on this site too, there are a lot of friendly players that can help you with a training on this game.
Antonio
http://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Napann1.htm

Even though I'm heavily prefering the Russian Campaign because it is just so massive and complex I'm leaning towards buying Waterloo as potential first buy because I like the battle and it's a good first pick to learn the rules, but it seems to me the British defence would be rather static: staying on the ridge and keeping Hougemont and La Haye Sainte off the French's hands. Is there some level of randomness in the main campaign that provide uncertainty for the Allied player, for instance on the time the Blücher and von Bülow arrive on the flank?

That site seems pretty inactive, its announced tournaments on the main page date from years ago! Maybe it is because the forum is invisible to non-members?

(11-18-2014, 01:43 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Also, over at the HPS site, they offer a free Waterloo Expansion Pack which includes 83 company sized scenarios.

Cool! :) Is it included or compatible with the JTS Store version?
11-18-2014, 08:37 AM,
FWIW, I love playing the Russians.
11-18-2014, 08:40 AM,
(11-18-2014, 06:23 AM)Drakken Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 01:43 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Also, over at the HPS site, they offer a free Waterloo Expansion Pack which includes 83 company sized scenarios.

Cool! :) Is it included or compatible with the JTS Store version?

From what I have been told by JTS, the expansion pack is not included in the JTS release. If you install it from the HPS site you need to go back and reapply the latest update off the JTS site, as some OOB's & PDT files were updated in later updates.
11-18-2014, 11:33 AM,
Surrendered. I bought Campaign Waterloo. :)

Russian Campaign will follow after I get use to the Napoleonic system.