• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

One of those days
11-11-2014, 06:12 AM,
One of those days
Went to get in a few games this morning and all my browser programs won't connect to the internet because the "proxy server is refusing the connection". GACK!!!!

I have internet because I have programs updating in the back ground, but couldn't get safari or firefox to work. Thank god for my i-Pad because it worked and I found a useful video to start the fix. Don't know what happened, it was working until it wasn't. AND I always have an updated virus checker running on the computer

After a good hour and a half I think I have everything under control. I've virus scanned, tuned up, and virus scanned, and updated, and virus scanned, uninstalled, reinstalled, and virus scanned, removed cookies, and disabled anything I didn't recognize...

What a pain this morning!

At one point I was assaulted by all kinds of ads and pop ups. Like a Tiger pounding on Shermans from a hull down position. And that was on the Blitz site and I know we don't run adverts.

Pretty strange.

Jim vK
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 06:41 AM,
RE: One of those days
Download and run malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.com), it's free unless you opt for the premium version. The pop-ups sounds like malware.

Sophos has a free virus removal too: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/fre...-tool.aspx. Works well, but isn't an anti-virus app. Just use it for scans. It can pick up things others miss. In fact, they all can, so worth the redundancy.

Clean out your cache, too, for all your browsers.

Also, it doesn't hurt to make a rescue CD with one of the virus scanners on it and run it during boot. It's really easy. Here's a "how-to" link for windows defender offline: http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/20...r-offline/

No matter how good your anti-virus, or how knowledgeable you are, one click on a malicious link and you're toast. Just last week I clicked an alert to update flash. I know better, but it was late and I was tired and wasn't thinking. Got hit with that ransom virus. Luckily I realized my mistake almost instantly and I was able to stay one step ahead of it, but it took all night to get things back to normal. Amazing how fast it spreads once the payload starts to deploy. Fortunately, it was only able to encrypt a few files. I was REALLY lucky. Pray you never get that one.

Anyway, good luck.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
11-11-2014, 12:49 PM,
Thanks Dave!

I'm doing it all. I was pretty shocked after the anti-malware scan and ALL the crap it uncovered. I have a firewall and antivirus which appears is not enough any more.

Guys, I highly recommend Dave's regimen.

Currently scanning using the Sophos virus removal. I don't think it'll find anything, but running it anyway. I'm getting paranoid after this morning's events and the results of the anti-malware scan.

Regards,

Jim
11-12-2014, 12:30 AM,
I strongly urge you and everyone to do regular (suggest monthly) system image backups. (See the Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore.)

Buy an external USB drive for this purpose if you have to.

When all else fails (and it eventually will), you will want the system image to put things back in order.