• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS Bonaparte's Peninsular War Released
11-01-2014, 12:19 AM,
a_Arrow  JTS Bonaparte's Peninsular War Released
[Image: BPW-Cover.png]

Overview:

The Peninsular War was one of the longest and most drawn-out campaigns of the Napoleonic War; a piece of Imperial regime change designed to close off the last European ports open to British trade, which instead developed into the "Spanish Ulcer" that sapped the strength of Napoleon's empire and left him to fight a two-front war that would ultimately destroy him.

After 1808, Napoleon left the Peninsular conflict in the hands of his brother Joseph, and of the marshals and generals commanding the various French armies. No one man was given supreme command of all French forces in Spain, and French operations – though frequently successful on a local level, were marred by a lack of cooperation. This was made yet worse by Napoleon's own attempts to run the war by remote control from Paris, sending written orders that were out of date even before they were despatched.

Though often defeated, and similarly bereft of central control for the early years of the war, the Spanish leaders kept on putting fresh armies into the field, while the civilian populace refused to surrender and fought a bloody guerrilla war against the invaders. This tied down a large part of the French forces, limiting the numbers available to pursue further conquests. As a result, once their initial occupying army had been driven out in 1808, the French were never able to conquer Portugal, which was defended by its own reorganized forces and by a growing British contingent. The British were led by Arthur Wellesley, a man of outstanding ability who would subsequently get the better of Napoleon himself at Waterloo. Although initially the French had the upper hand, the reorganization of the Portuguese army by Beresford and the construction of the Lines of Torres Vedras secured Portugal from French conquest. Thereafter, Portugal would become the base for the Anglo-Portuguese army that would eventually join with the Spanish to evict the French from the Peninsula.

Bonaparte's Peninsular War will take you through battles and campaigns focused in and around Portugal, but also branch out into Spain for some of the early war actions of 1809. The balance of the Peninsular conflict is covered in a follow-up title currently in development. For further details you may read the Designers Notes.

Scenarios
•Over 170 scenarios to include the battles of Badajoz, Bailen, Oporto, Rolica, Talavera, Vimeiro, and many more.
•Tutorial scenario that helps the player learn the game system.
•Scenarios range from small to large and have versions designed for both play against the A/I as well as those focused on PBEM.

Campaigns
•Three campaigns are included covering 1809 & 1810 in Portugal as well as the series of battles leading up to and including Vimeiro in 1808.

Features
•Turn scale is either 15 or 10 minute turns.
•Over 40 maps with the largest being over 84,000 hexes.
•Scenario and Campaign Editors.

Changes
•2D Zoom-In View
•A/I Enhancements

System Requirements
Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Video Memory: 512 MB

[Image: BPW-1.png]

[Image: BPW-2.png]

[Image: BPW-3.png]

[Image: BPW-4.png]

More info about Bonaparte's Peninsular War can be found over at JTS: http://johntillersoftware.com/Napoleonic...teWar.html

The game can only be purchased from the JTS store, located here:

http://john-tiller-software.myshopify.co...nsular-War
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2014, 07:53 PM,
RE: JTS Bonaparte's Peninsular War Released
This is the title I have been waiting for, pity that with life commitments that I may not get round to looking at it for quite a while.

Anyone looking for detailed information about the events depicted, I can highly recommend the eight volumes of the Peninsular War written by Sir Charles Oman.
11-01-2014, 11:58 PM,
(11-01-2014, 07:53 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: This is the title I have been waiting for, pity that with life commitments that I may not get round to looking at it for quite a while.

Anyone looking for detailed information about the events depicted, I can highly recommend the eight volumes of the Peninsular War written by Sir Charles Oman.

..which if I am not mistaken are in the public domain. I think I found them over at Archive.org (or it might have been on Google Books.
Send this user an email
11-02-2014, 07:32 AM,
(11-01-2014, 11:58 PM)trauth116 Wrote:
(11-01-2014, 07:53 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: This is the title I have been waiting for, pity that with life commitments that I may not get round to looking at it for quite a while.

..which if I am not mistaken are in the public domain. I think I found them over at Archive.org (or it might have been on Google Books.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded them on my Kindle from Project Guttenberg or Google books.
11-04-2014, 12:57 AM,
I thought it might be useful to post a copy of what I wrote at the NWC forum here

http://wargame.ch/board/nwc/viewtopic.ph...845#p84845

First of all, I'd like to thank Andrew Bamford for his expert knowledge in putting together the oobs for this project, Mark Adams & Joe Amoral for their excellent work with the graphics and of course our project manager Rich Hamilton for bringing everything together. I'd also like to thank the playtesters Andy Moss, Jim Owczarski, Jim Hall, Mike Cox, Joao Lima, Doug Fuller and also Atle Jenssen for all their useful comments and observations and for making sure the scenarios were balanced.

I expect many of you have been looking forward to seeing a Peninsular War title for many years now and here, finally, it has been released! I first started working on the project about eight or nine years ago, even before my first game, HPS Renaissance, was released, so it has been in development for rather a long time. At some point it was decided that there would be two Peninsular titles and that this first one would concentrate primarily on Portugal, but would also cover most of the Spanish battles of western Spain up to the British capture of Badajoz in April 1812. After the capture of Badajoz, the British focus switched from the defence of Portugal to the liberation of Spain from French control, so this was considered the best cut off point for the first game.

The scenarios range from very short to hundreds of turns, although most are in the short to medium length (eg. 10 to 40 turns). There are some 50 scenarios designed for play against the A/I and about a further 120 designed for PBEM or hotseat mode. Many scenarios have alternative 10 minute turn versions using gun sections and an alternative pdt. There are also some 6 or 7 company scale scenarios, mostly covering the various actions during Massena's retreat from Portugal.

A few notes about the standard and alternative pdts that you'll find useful. I created an alternative pdt to provide players with a different gaming experience and I reckon some gamers will find that they prefer this to the standard pdt. While a lot of thought and play-testing went into the pdt values, of course they aren't set in stone and are easy to modify, so you can always make your own alterations, as long as you agree with your opponent before starting up a game.

The Cavalry Charge Factor in the standard pdt is 3, but 5 in the alternative pdt. (Waterloo has 3 and Bill's games used to have 3 but now have 5)
Day Turn: 15 minutes (standard) 10 minutes (alternative)
Max Stacking: 1800 men (standard) 1200 men (alternative)
Cav Max Stacking: 900 men (standard) 300 men (alternative)

Movement, fatigue and Line Movement Disruption values are also different, as are ammo loss % and fire factors.

Overall, the alternative pdt values should give the advantage to firepower over melee tactics, although cavalry will be potentially more deadly.

In addition, scenarios using the alternative pdt use gun sections rather than batteries. This allows the howitzers to be represented and also means that artillery is less vulnerable to cavalry, as the gun sections can be deployed in different hexes and can stack more conveniently with large infantry units for protection. Those gamers who also play the ACW series will already be familiar with gun sections.

Dragoons and Light Cavalry

After consultation with Andrew Bamford, I made the decision to give French dragoons muskets. This will allow them to operate effectively in a dismounted role. However, I'd recommend that, under most circumstances, that players should use dragoons in a mounted role. However, British, Spanish and Portuguese dragoons are represented as either light or heavy cavalry.

Non-lancer light cavalry are issued with carbines, although only in the alternative pdt are these given a fire factor. Historically, light cavalry were issued with firearms and did skirmish, so this has been enabled; however, cavalry firepower tends to be ineffective - even against other cavalry - so players should use their discretion when using their light cavalry as skirmishers. Incidentally, heavy cavalry were also issued with firearms, sometimes pistols as well as carbines, but their role was primarily shock, so I didn't want to give them any fire capability. Players should assume that any firing by heavy cavalry is represented in the melee bonus.

Enjoy the game!

Rich White
11-04-2014, 05:44 AM,
Thanks Rich
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM,
Its a long waited title for me... maybe i am surprised when see Peninsular campaign divided in 2 titles only because i expect 3... well better 2 installs than 3 (maybe here i allways prefer 1 single installation but...).

The question i have now is... when the 2nd part??? is on the way or is a relative new thing.

Thanks and great job.
11-05-2014, 10:35 PM,
It is a very new project so will be some time I think. But much work can be imported from this game and will save some time.
11-06-2014, 02:03 AM,
Am I mistaken that the 3d graphics appear updated?
11-06-2014, 02:14 AM,
Great, aren't they. Several other people have observed the same.