• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Unwinable Scenarios
10-20-2014, 05:21 AM,
Unwinable Scenarios
Hello ,
i often had the problem not winning a Scenario on my favorite side despite playing it
multiple times. As i could read in the Topics here this is made to make scenarios
corect to reality. Ok, thats no criticim but when i know i cant win i"m not motivated to play.
Sometimes i was so frustrated i stoped playing this game for weeks or month.
Unfortunatelly there is no Option to make the game easyer. Changing the complete Scenario
is also a timesteeling procedure.
Now i had an idea to make the Scenario winable in a easy way for the favorite side :

Open the scenario in the editor , chose all or only a few enemy !! units step by step and decrease theire unitsrange 1 , 2 or more numbers. Be carefule to not play a baby game, lol.
Save the game under a different filename.
This is done in 1 Minute and it gave me back the fun to play Vietnam, Afganistan, Modern war and other squadbattlegames.
Ok , ist kind cheating but better for me than playing the Vietnam war on the Communist side.
If this trick is already known so sorry.
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2014, 08:17 AM,
RE: Unwinable Scenarios
In general, the balance on the games from Winter War forward are better than the others. That said, there are certain situations where it will be a tough win unless you play the scenario perfectly and have some luck, much like war.

Little Big Horn-Unwinnable situation.

That said, if you feel that you need to be able to win every scenario you play, then edit them to your heart's content. This is what makes SB such a great series. It is fairly easy to edit scenarios. I'd also consider trying to alter the Victory Point levels rather than removing troops. Most scenarios are devised with certain force in mind. Removing them truly alters the scenario beyond what the designer was thinking while putting them together.

Another tactic would be to change the objective values as well. Instead of 15 points to take an objective, make it 50. The fight will be just as hard, but the payoff will be greater when you are able to take the objective.

Another thing that players often ignore is that not every objective needs to be taken in order to win a scenario. Study the victory point totals, see what you need to win in terms of objectives and casualties. This would also be the basis for altering the objective totals if you think that no matter what you do you can't win. Admittedly, there are VN scenarios that are pretty hard to win. I like a good fight, and if the US can't achieve a victory, I try to learn from my mistakes and hone my game-play. AI is fun, but playing against another human is where things truly change, and in my mind, for the better. The AI is predictable, a human surely isn't...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
10-20-2014, 04:24 PM,
Hallo, thanks for the answer.
10-20-2014, 09:46 PM,
(10-20-2014, 08:17 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: The AI is predictable, a human surely isn't...

"And his troops would follow him anywhere, mostly to see what he is going to do next!" Hee hee hee, ALan - thinking of anybody in particular? I could certainly think of about eleven guys!

BTW - still think you may have time for a DBP?
10-20-2014, 10:36 PM,
Things are easing up, I'll find one for us this week!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
10-21-2014, 01:39 AM,
....sometimes to win in SB games, you have to remember the words of G. Patton...you don't win wars by seizing ground...you win wars by killing the enemy. Of course, I agree that the "unwinnable" scenario is frustrating...been victimized myself on many occasions.....but as BRO points out there are "work arounds".... Whistle
10-21-2014, 08:43 AM,
From my record I think most scenarios are unwinnable, no matter what side I take.Helmet Rolleyes
10-21-2014, 09:01 AM,
Didn't we just have this discussion Jester

(10-21-2014, 08:43 AM)KG_RangerBooBoo Wrote: From my record I think most scenarios are unwinnable, no matter what side I take.Helmet Rolleyes
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
10-21-2014, 11:33 AM,
For me unwinable scenarios are not a problem as long as they are entertaining
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM,
Apparently, I have made more than my share of unwinnable scenarios. Alas.

I don't recommend that you change the range of units in the data editor, however. These are not scenario specific and will affect all of the scenarios including any you may play against a human opponent. Use the scenario editor to make the changes like what Alan suggested. If you do want to modify the loads, weapons or vehicles, create a separate game in another folder like with the X-Mods you can find discussed here and keep the .dat files separate from your main game folder.

Jeff