• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Cratering
10-17-2014, 03:07 AM,
Cratering
I do get the "coolness" factor of creating craters, but is a single round falling in to a hex of this size really going to produce a crater that will affect movement by foot? Or even by track? Or even by wheeled vehicles?

And why do 60mm mortar rounds fired as support make craters, when onboard weapons of the same caliber do not? [DBP]

Probably too hard, but I would like to see a revision that counts the shells falling into a hex. Say after the fourth shell of 90mm or larger cratering appears. 2cents2

Steve
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2014, 11:08 AM,
RE: Cratering
You've got it figured out, off-board artillery causes craters and on-board artillery does not. Most, but not all, off-board artillery tends to be the heavier caliber stuff. I am sure that the coding is much easier this way and that's why it is the way it is.

As for craters causing movement problems for vehicles of all types, the stuff I have been reading about Normandy shows that craters commonly caused vehicles to bog down or roll over. Consequently, to suggest that they would slow down when in an area with craters is pretty realistic. On the other hand, I am guessing, that most these problem craters were caused by bombs rather than shells, but I don't really know that.

And while craters do slow you down, they also provide some cover for your poor bloody infantry as they try to cross all that open ground.
Quote this message in a reply