• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Newbie: Which PzC game to begin?
10-13-2014, 08:25 AM,
Newbie: Which PzC game to begin?
I am newly arrived on TheBlitz, for I am interested in H2H games to get schooled, better my play, and eventually become a veteran grognard wargamer. I already did one PBEM game of WITE with someone and I got crushed as the Soviets, so I'm currently playing the Road scenarios to get more acquainted with the system. I have also played WiTP:AE as the Allies.

I have my eyes set on John Tiller's Panzer Campaign series but I wonder, which would be best to start with? From what I understand, when you learn to play one you learn to play them all, but I wanted your advice. :) My interest right now on Eastern Front, as I tend to prefer operational scale rather than tactical. So I thought buying either Smolesk, Stalingrad, Kursk or Moscow. Would be open to any suggestion, however.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2014, 09:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM by Buccaneer.)
RE: Newbie: Which PzC game to begin?
Yes ... Big Grin

I started with one and sort of added them all when the Mrs. wasn't looking. Whistle

IMHO, you won't go wrong with any of those titles you mentioned.
"Damnation seize my soul if I give your quarters, or take any from you." - Edward Teach
10-13-2014, 12:23 PM,
Definitely - pick the battle that most interests you. If any of those four titles, here is a summary of them:

Smolensk, the first but updated. It has wide open battles, some add-on scenarios that give more alternatives and better historicity to the campaign, and both sides can do some attacking although the Soviets mostly fight defensively.

Stalingrad, lots of small battles plus the biggie. A wide range of forces to play with and varying situations.

Kursk - mostly a slugfest getting through the lines, high unit density, little maneuver in any of the scenarios, with a few exceptions, but some fun tools to play with.

Moscow, not sure which you are interested in. '41 has the Germans attacking to the gates, or into, Moscow, little to nothing of the Soviet counteroffensive. '42 is mostly the Soviet attacks, in heavy snow/blizzards that slow things down quite a bit.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-13-2014, 01:10 PM,
Thanks, guys. I'm still on the fence but I am definitely getting intrigued. I admit that either Stalingrad or Kursk get my interest since they were so decisive, but Moscow and Smolensk were also critical moments.

Would it be preferable to start against the AI to learn the ropes, or get schooled immediately in H2H even in the tutorial scenario?
10-13-2014, 02:24 PM,
My vote would be Smolensk--very fluid and interesting. Have't played Kursk, but have always found the battle rather dull because of the massive fortifications, etc. I have Moscow 41 and 42; I haven't played Moscow 41 yet, but Moscow 42 is OK, although the snowy weather definitely slows the game down.

I recommend that you start with the AI, especially if it is on defense. For the bigger campaigns, you can also play hotseat against yourself, it is surprisingly fun, because given the size of the battles you can't remember all the positions, etc. of the "opposing" forces.
10-13-2014, 04:11 PM,
BTW according to the product page Moscow 42 also covers the Russian winter counter offensive 41-42, it seems it starts were Moscow 41 stops.
10-13-2014, 10:34 PM,
(10-13-2014, 04:11 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: BTW according to the product page Moscow 42 also covers the Russian winter counter offensive 41-42, it seems it starts were Moscow 41 stops.

Correct, Moscow '42 is focused on the Soviet winter counterattack, but it also includes quite a number of hypothetical summer scenarios based on Fall Kreml. Fall Kreml was a potential second German attack to take Moscow in June/July '42, instead of driving for the Caucasus.

There is plenty of movement and maneuver in those scenarios.

David
10-14-2014, 09:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 10:01 AM by Drakken.)
I surrendered.

I watched Pewpewchewchew's introduction with Moscow '42 on youtube and I liked what I saw, so I bought Smolensk '41 as it is the first in the series and the closest in time and scale to Operation Barbarossa.

More will be bought in time, as money enters my wallet. :)

I also added myself to the ladder (with Naval Warfare, GG Ops, and TOAWIII). I'll take some time to read the manual though, before trying to get out of bootcamp.

EDIT: I just bought it and I received Smolensk41_200.msi file as a digital download. Does it need to be further updated, or is it already to the latest patch?
10-14-2014, 10:29 AM,
Seems to be the latest, at least on JTS there is no patch for it and on HPS just 1.16, I assume that we have here 2.00?
10-14-2014, 11:30 AM,
I've yet to play an eastern front title, however my pick would probably be Smolensk. I prefer the faster paced and gradual troop commitment/rising reinforcement games.