• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tactics
07-29-2014, 12:11 PM,
Tactics
Just looking for some ideas on what books or websites that I could use to learn tactics implemented by Allied and Axis forces!

I know a few things but Combat Mission gives me the opportunity to put real world techniques to use!

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2014, 05:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM by Steiner14.)
RE: Tactics
Real world tactics works quite well (edit: as rough guide). If you understand German a very good first overview of combined arms gives this educational movie from the OKH: attack with infantry and tanks against a defended village in Russia.

As probably the reference work for (German) tank tactics I'd recommend Panzertaktik by Oberst a.D. Schneider. It's available in English, too.
07-31-2014, 06:35 AM,
Thanks!
07-31-2014, 10:52 AM,
They have a nice series here:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mi...deo-series
This Blog is also useful:
http://battledrill.blogspot.ca/2013/08/c...-cmtp.html
This site is pretty good for WWII field manuals, though it is very difficult to navigate:
http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/F...index.html
07-31-2014, 10:54 AM,
Hey thanks Pewpewchewchew!
07-31-2014, 11:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 11:50 PM by Shorker.)
Thank you both for the links! Read2

@Steiner14: Great film! Thumbs Up
08-01-2014, 07:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 07:34 AM by ARCH.)
HA if only i could speak german...

Gives you a leg up in our game Shorker lol.

I know its a pain but is there any way to get a translation of the video??

If not then that's totally fine, I'm just curious as to what it has to offer :P
08-01-2014, 11:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM by Steiner14.)
No translation, but I can try to give a rough summary (from memory):

Heavy inf weapons take their (overview) positions
Inf moves closer - as close as possible to enemy positions/outposts
Ari and heavy inf weapons suppress identified enemy
Outposts taken
After signal from inf, tanks start the attack (in this example from two sides) - infantry may not seek cover at the tanks; tanks attract heavy fire; infantry must spread out (Otto Carius in his book Tigers in the mud, which I'm currently reading, gives an example how devastating it could be if inf follows the natural human instinct to bunch up and seek cover close to friendly tanks)
Ari fire is moved forward to allow friendly inf break into enemy positions
When entry is achieved, mobile forces move quickly through the village and occupy the other end's exit
Inf searches houses systematically
Without delay recon vehicles search retreating enemy
08-02-2014, 10:54 AM,
Great thats what I was looking for thanks Steiner14
08-02-2014, 07:39 PM,
(08-01-2014, 11:01 AM)Steiner14 Wrote: When entry is achieved, mobile forces move quickly through the village and occupy the other end's exit

And this is where the quality of the defenders comes to play. If you attempt anything like this to make a quick coup de grace I would be waiting for you with infantry ambush parties while some sort of counter push would delay the advancing infantry elsewhere. IMHO, tanks should always stay with the infantry and never advance to unscouted areas unless it is absolutely necessary. However flanking the village or town to it's rear and so blocking the enemy retreat, is quite a lot more simple and easier to do (unless the enemy is waiting for such a manuveur).