• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

River crossing?
06-26-2014, 06:18 AM,
River crossing?
Playing a modified Bulge game and I'm finding infantry type units which can cross Rivers in T mode if they start adjacent? No roads involved. Never seen this before?

Pdt file says -1 for Foot units and Rivers?

Any clues as to whats happening here?

Ian
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2014, 06:32 AM,
RE: River crossing?
Take a closer look at the 'infantry' types unit. (right click in the information panel)

Are they engineers?

If so read the section in the user manual about the capability for engineers to ferry units across a river. They can ferry themselves too.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-26-2014, 07:06 AM,
As DS said, these are either engineers or are infantry stacked with an engineer unit which then can "ferry" the infantry over the river in T mode.
06-26-2014, 09:31 AM,
Or, for some custom OOBs, the unit may be set to amphibious, typically a commando unit but there could be anything the designer wanted to set up.
[Image: exercise.png]
06-26-2014, 10:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM by Deturk.)
Bulge, that means Winter. Rivers freeze in the Winter sometimes? Wink
06-26-2014, 11:48 AM,
When they freeze, they don't show on the map so I don't think that is it. Or maybe I am thinking of streams only, not showing when frozen. Been awhile since I paid attention.
[Image: exercise.png]
06-27-2014, 12:53 AM,
A screen shot and some scenario details might help clarify the situation.
06-27-2014, 07:58 AM,
(06-27-2014, 12:53 AM)Sgt Jasper Wrote: A screen shot and some scenario details might help clarify the situation.

Screen shot not needed as its the ferry rule thats at play here. There were 'engineer' type units in the hexes. My memory of the rules led me to think that Bridging units were needed but my opponent plus Mr Grumpy made me read the ferry rule properly.
Damn I could have saved some of my troops trapped against the Clerf River if I had used my few engineers a bit better.
Back to game. Got to put my M.P.'s hat on and and work on road management skills for this game.

Ian

Will maybe see if I can post a pic of the situation Turn 12 Dec 17th 08:00. Will ask Brian first.
06-28-2014, 02:06 AM,
The part that sucks is having to be in T mode. Not many times has a unit been ferried across in and remain in T mode. When using rafts and boats, they usually go in tactical mode and move out in tactical mode to secure a beachhead or push the fight away from the crossing point. But something had to be done. I do agree with having to be with Engineer units that usually have rafts or those engineers that carry boats.
06-28-2014, 03:40 AM,
(06-28-2014, 02:06 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: The part that sucks is having to be in T mode. Not many times has a unit been ferried across in and remain in T mode. When using rafts and boats, they usually go in tactical mode and move out in tactical mode to secure a beachhead or push the fight away from the crossing point. But something had to be done. I do agree with having to be with Engineer units that usually have rafts or those engineers that carry boats.

Well T mode is a bummer. Since the units are company sized and already beat up, then if they get caught and hit whilst in T mode they can end up getting finished off. I've tried to pull out units over bridges into Towns/Villages only to see them getting Broken whilst standing there in T mode. Bit of a wasted effort but I guess it saves a few VP's?