• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Naval Camps. Midway
05-23-2014, 03:27 PM,
Naval Camps. Midway
Hi,

Am pondering purchasing Naval Campaigns Midway, but am coming from turn-based Tiller games.

Was looking for some input in regards the game engine, specifically whether the real-time game engine Tiller's Naval Campaigns employ will take some getting used to.

Am also more of a fan of lengthy campaigns rather short slug-fests, so how does the AI handle the game engine when it covers full fleet actions?

Cheers.

Spud.
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2014, 11:14 PM,
RE: Naval Camps. Midway
I've heard some good things about Midway however, I am not a fan of real-time games. If you like to play against the AI or can find the time to play an opponent in real time, you may enjoy it. If the HPS naval series had a PBEM feature it would be a very popular series. It is very unfortunate that it does not.

About two years ago, there was work being done on a new update however, the 1.02 Beta update started producing game crashes for some of the testers. As far as I know, there is no new news about the update being "fixed" and/or released any time soon.
06-05-2014, 02:44 AM,
RE: Naval Camps. Midway
Greetings my double-penny:

I too, do not own Midway, but have Guadalcanal which is one of my FAVORITE ways to kill 15 - 30 minutes. I also play the EAW and Squad battle turn-based series.

I found the real-time transition to be no problem. Against the AI the player can speed up to 10x real-time and pause to allow for the giving of orders etc. I like the displays and find them easy to manage, but again, I do not play the big air/fleet games.

I think it fair to say you will have a learning curve learning to manage the "packages" of air units. Guadalcanal has this and I have toyed with it, but of course, this is not a primary focus of the game as it is in Midway.

To date I have had ZERO luck arranging for real-time internet play; and the AI is pretty easy to beat. I cannot imagine that there is much real-time play out there for Midway, as the games must certainly take hours to complete. So unless you have some dedicated friends who have committed to do this - I think you will be limited to AI play. How it does in big ops, like you ask, I cannot say. No doubt it will exhibit strengths and weaknesses.

In summary: I like the Real time interface and think it is pretty intuitive for JTS players. The AI provides an entertaining if fairly east to beat experience. And I think Midway is all about fleet actions, but am quite confident there is smaller scenarios as well.

Cheers!