• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pike and Shot, new incoming game
05-20-2014, 07:13 PM,
Pike and Shot, new incoming game
Well, looks like we are going to have the FOG 16th and 17th century but in a new engine... based in Battlefield Academy 2.

It looks good except maybe the units (somebody says shoe box???) but if is good covering the period... to be fair i feel a little Thumbs Down with REN lets see if this engine/game is better.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

Maybe i feel a little Cry when read that the game has at least 2 planned expansions... when even we dont have the base game... i dont say no to this (i buy all FOG army packs except the last one and the battle pack) but well, first lets have the base game no??? Wink
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2014, 08:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM by -72-.)
RE: Pike and Shot, new incoming game
(05-20-2014, 07:13 PM)Xaver Wrote: Well, looks like we are going to have the FOG 16th and 17th century but in a new engine... based in Battlefield Academy 2.

It looks good except maybe the units (somebody says shoe box???) but if is good covering the period... to be fair i feel a little Thumbs Down with REN lets see if this engine/game is better.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

Maybe i feel a little Cry when read that the game has at least 2 planned expansions... when even we dont have the base game... i dont say no to this (i buy all FOG army packs except the last one and the battle pack) but well, first lets have the base game no??? Wink

I have read some reviews on Field of Glory: Renaissance (the rulebook for miniatures), and from what I can tell just by looking at the screenshot - whatever Slitherine is doing is something entirely different from the miniature rules- but appears to be using the branded name for marketing purposes.

I imagine the graphics are all from an alpha and probably just working graphics (not the final thing) - that being said it already looks like apples and oranges when you start comparing a square grid based system to a hex based system whatever the game is. (Fwiw, I gave up square grid games with Avalon Hill's old Tactics II ... but ymmv - it's what the hobby is all about in the end. :) )

Expansions: - well that is the business model over there, and has been the business model with the same branded miniature rules, I guess it is not entirely unexpected.

I guess I might get their rule set and compare it to a couple that I already have (Father Tilly, and Pike and Shotte); I am not entirely sure from the reviews that I have read that any new ground is broken, but I do like Osprey Publishing's presentation style.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply