• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vietnam II
04-01-2014, 10:34 PM,
My 2 Cents  Vietnam II
Why not?

Other publishers do it, why not JTS?

Looking back over some old posts to see what my next purchase might be, and saw several old-hands lamenting that Vietnam/TOD were released so early. I wonder if there just might be some purchasing interest in a re-release of those earlier titles. Seems that the project would mostly consist of scenario redesign to better incorporate the newer features of the engine. Maybe come up with one or two new "whiz-bang" features to generate further interest, and it might sell well.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 10:54 PM,
RE: Vietnam II
April Fools? Big Grin

Eagles Strike should be updated way before Vietnam 2cents2
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-01-2014, 11:41 PM,
Yes, I too would love to see ES get an overhaul to current SB standards.
04-02-2014, 01:48 AM,
The "House to House" series for TOD incorporates many of the updates since 2007. Not the same thing as a full game update but much worth it.
04-02-2014, 03:18 AM,
(04-02-2014, 01:48 AM)kolc Wrote: The "House to House" series for TOD incorporates many of the updates since 2007. Not the same thing as a full game update but much worth it.

Mike did some really nice work on those scenarios, giving a nice feel to the city fighting around Saigon after the Tet Offensive in 1968. Based from Keith Nolan's excellent book of the same name.

In general, I don't see that type of a situation happening with any of the older titles. I believe that Tiller is looking forward at things, not looking back at tweaking older games. I'm helping to get the final few updates pushed out, fixing some things, making sure the updates are all current. Before you comment further, Ed, the database for AoTR will be unlocked (I have that version now), but there is a bit of an issue with that build not containing the X loads. I almost let that just go out to see you and Dan's heads explode, since you two keep crabbing about it, like my 5&6 year olds do about using my iPad..Wink

I've requested that it gets fixed, it will just take some time to get that finished. After talking with Oz about things, we decided to add a bunch more PDT files to AoTR and ES for future scenario work as well. Three AoTR stock winter scenarios will be edited to utilize a 'winter.pdt' file. All rest-and-refit values will be added as well. I will go through ES to parse out winter scenarios and edit those to use a new winter.pdt as well.

That said, if someone adventurous wanted to go back and tweak games from any of the older series, much like the H2H games from AoTR, to make them more balanced, I would be more than happy to host them over at Task Force Echo 4. For someone who is interested in scenario design, tweaking an existing scenario could be a valuable experience for getting a feel for what is involved in making a scenario balanced, before trying to start from scratch.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
04-02-2014, 04:30 AM,
Quote:Before you comment further, Ed, the database for AoTR will be unlocked (I have that version now), but there is a bit of an issue with that build not containing the X loads. I almost let that just go out to see you and Dan's heads explode, since you two keep crabbing about it, like my 5&6 year olds do about using my iPad..Wink

LOL

You are my hero! Tempted
04-02-2014, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014, 06:33 AM by Richie61.)
(04-02-2014, 03:18 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I've requested that it gets fixed, it will just take some time to get that finished. After talking with Oz about things, we decided to add a bunch more PDT files to AoTR and ES for future scenario work as well. Three AoTR stock winter scenarios will be edited to utilize a 'winter.pdt' file. All rest-and-refit values will be added as well. I will go through ES to parse out winter scenarios and edit those to use a new winter.pdt as well.

That said, if someone adventurous wanted to go back and tweak games from any of the older series, much like the H2H games from AoTR, to make them more balanced, I would be more than happy to host them over at Task Force Echo 4. For someone who is interested in scenario design, tweaking an existing scenario could be a valuable experience for getting a feel for what is involved in making a scenario balanced, before trying to start from scratch.

I am getting bored with graphic mods and I want to make the next step to scenario designs. Since I am interested in scenario design and maybe I with try tweaking a few of the ES scenarios. Dan is really good with scenario design and as my "battle buddy", I think he would give me a few pointers Big Grin

I think learning scenario design will work good with my idea of Poland 1939 and France 1940 mods in the future TEEHEE
Plus just maybe the British can be added into ES without losing the US units and that would be cool! Big Grin2
04-02-2014, 07:51 PM,
One of the things I always thought would be cool would be a new SB game focused on the major Airborne operations of WW2. I think the game system with the updates would make this a great addition. IMHO
04-05-2014, 07:47 AM,
(04-02-2014, 03:18 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: That said, if someone adventurous wanted to go back and tweak games from any of the older series, much like the H2H games from AoTR, to make them more balanced, I would be more than happy to host them over at Task Force Echo 4. For someone who is interested in scenario design, tweaking an existing scenario could be a valuable experience for getting a feel for what is involved in making a scenario balanced, before trying to start from scratch.

I too am interested in getting my feet wet with scenario design. Can you perhaps explain more of what you mean by tweaking?

Ed, might be a fun joint project. The "MinnMass" design team, eh?
04-05-2014, 01:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM by Jeff Conner.)
Alan is in Chicago with his beautiful bride this weekend, so I am sure that he is much too busy to respond, at least right away. I think what he meant is that you find a scenario that you like, but does not have the best play balance. You then use the scenario editor to modify it so that the play balance is better. This generally entails modifying the objectives, changing the length of the scenario, moving some units from one location to another, possibly adding some additional units and the like. AOTR has lots of scenarios that could use a little "tweaking" and since you guys seem to like that game, it might be a good place to start.

You could also tweak a scenario by adding some hypotheticals; say in the scenario you want to work on the Germans are attacking in Stalingrad. You could modify it by adding in reinforcements for one side or the other and adding some additional turns. There are lots of possibilities.

If you send me an email I will give you a phone number and you can call (or email) if you have questions. I will be happy to help you both out. Of course it might cost you in the long run.