• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Searchlights in SAW
03-18-2014, 10:31 PM,
Searchlights in SAW
I can understand an Illumination allowance for flares and such, but why do searchlights need an Illumination allowance? Playing The Beast in SAW and the tank has IR which can be used each turn, but the rescue convoy searchlights need an Illumination allowance. Dont Know
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 02:44 AM,
RE: Searchlights in SAW
Good question. I'll send it over to Rich to see what he thinks.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
03-20-2014, 07:24 AM,
thanks, sir
03-20-2014, 07:52 AM,
I did look through the weapons and loads values, and it does act like an illumination device, like a flare, etc. IR has its own category which is why it can be used without any type of allowance needed. The scenario either needs to be fixed by adding an illumination allowance, or the weapon needs to be altered. The easiest would be to edit the scenario, so we'll see what happens. I can't seem to find many scenarios that utilize the searchlight, so it may be restricted to SAW.
03-20-2014, 08:32 AM,
(03-20-2014, 07:52 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I did look through the weapons and loads values, and it does act like an illumination device, like a flare, etc. IR has its own category which is why it can be used without any type of allowance needed. The scenario either needs to be fixed by adding an illumination allowance, or the weapon needs to be altered. The easiest would be to edit the scenario, so we'll see what happens. I can't seem to find many scenarios that utilize the searchlight, so it may be restricted to SAW.

They are in these too Wink

AotR: Cavalry at Sychevka

and

Winter War: Through the Dark Waters
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
03-20-2014, 09:18 AM,
Those scenarios have illumination allowances, so those are fine. The SAW one simply needs to be edited to have that allowance. I'll put that into the queue.
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM,
That is what I was wondering if it was some type of oversight in the scenario. Still not clear to me why a searchlight would need an allowance but there is a reason I am sure. Thanks for the info
03-20-2014, 11:01 PM,
(03-20-2014, 10:27 PM)kolc Wrote: That is what I was wondering if it was some type of oversight in the scenario. Still not clear to me why a searchlight would need an allowance but there is a reason I am sure. Thanks for the info

It has to do with the game engine. Anything with an 'illumination' flag, like a flare, searchlight, illuminating mortar round, etc, requires an allowance for it to be used.

[Image: SL1.jpg]
04-02-2014, 03:20 AM,
So, in talking with Oz, it turns out that the scenario was giving a smoke allowance instead of illumination. I've edited the scenario, and the one in the campaign game and will submit it to Rich. If you want to play the game, just change the 10 smoke to 10 illumination until the update comes out. Not sure when it will.
04-02-2014, 04:37 AM,
In Red Victory the scenario 005 Ozereika.scn The Dieppe of the Blacksea, searchlights have no limit. If they did, that would hamper the boats ability to support the landing troops in identifying the Rumanian positions.

Is this situation not consistent with the use of searchlights in the other games in the Squad Battles system?

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp