• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller interview
03-15-2014, 08:31 AM,
John Tiller interview
Just watched a 52+ minute interview of John Tiller at the Wargamer.com site. It was very cool to see and hear the legend. I have probably 98% of all the game he's published and it was a treat for me to see and hear him talk about gaming. He says there are three more Panzer Battles games in the works with one quite soon. Also, said there will be a modern battles versions of these games too.
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2014, 10:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014, 10:50 AM by Wodin.)
RE: John Tiller interview
Shame who ever it was interviewing wasn't abit more confident and had prepared some in depth questions. Hopefully he will get better at it. "Erm..WOW..erm..awesome..erm!

(03-15-2014, 08:31 AM)Mesquite Wrote: Just watched a 52+ minute interview of John Tiller at the Wargamer.com site. It was very cool to see and hear the legend. I have probably 98% of all the game he's published and it was a treat for me to see and hear him talk about gaming. He says there are three more Panzer Battles games in the works with one quite soon. Also, said there will be a modern battles versions of these games too.
Send this user an email
03-17-2014, 08:30 AM,
Actually I thought it was a pretty good interview, and I wish people who want to be critical about that sort of thing would front up and do it themselves.

I wouldn't even want to be the interviewee, much less preparing the questions - let alone asking them on a podcast - or worse, adding a video transcript. :)

Loved hearing about the Strategic War series -it had an unfortunate history -mainly when the solitary computer with all of the files died in a flood (iirc reading a post by Glenn or a notes from him somewhere.). If nothing else it is a great reminder to backup material on several platforms and in several media forms (and in several locations -if possible).
Send this user an email
03-17-2014, 09:53 AM,
I thought it was a good interview too but Tiller wasn't helped much by his interviewer, who really wasn't very competent. Tiller had to carry him along. I was surprised that JT was so easy and good-humored; somehow I'd gotten a different feeling about him over the years (don't exactly know why :\). Anyway, the great thing about the interview in my opinion was Tiller's enthusiasm. He's nowhere near done.
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM,
Having met John Tiller at the 3 Tillercons that have been held, I have to say he is a very nice guy in person. Very intelligent and very willing to discuss ideas for change, and come up with solutions when convinced of a problem in the game play.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-17-2014, 09:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2014, 09:35 PM by Xaver.)
Soon, the word i most fear when talk about releases... well, i only fear more "when is done" Big Grin

Ummm then 3 PzB on the line... one soon... well, cant wait to see a new PzB title i have a clear preference in front, expect have luck but i doubt.

The modern version is interesting but well, i think first Tiller needs improve the armored combat system in WWII before enter in a more complex enviroment for tank VS tank.

Sadly i dont have time to run the interview and translate it Helmet Rolleyes

EDIT: i don remember ask this but... Tiller say something about the centenary of WWI??? maybe about certain battle with cosaks and lakes for certain serie???
03-18-2014, 12:16 AM,
(03-17-2014, 09:22 PM)Xaver Wrote: Soon, the word i most fear when talk about releases... well, i only fear more "when is done" Big Grin

Ummm then 3 PzB on the line... one soon... well, cant wait to see a new PzB title i have a clear preference in front, expect have luck but i doubt.

The modern version is interesting but well, i think first Tiller needs improve the armored combat system in WWII before enter in a more complex enviroment for tank VS tank.

Sadly i dont have time to run the interview and translate it Helmet Rolleyes

EDIT: i don remember ask this but... Tiller say something about the centenary of WWI??? maybe about certain battle with cosaks and lakes for certain serie???

As I recall nothing at all was said about WWI. I'm not a gambling man but if I had to put money on it I would lay down a dollar on lakes and Cossacks Smile
03-18-2014, 07:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM by Wodin.)
Deleted...forgot I had already posted.
Send this user an email
03-18-2014, 08:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM by -72-.)
They didn't get to WWI in that interview, which only means that there would be an opportunity there. I imagine Ed can answer queries on that as well as anyone with JTS.

Not sure why it is that you keep saying the same thing Jason - I think many got it the first time that you wrote it. Duly noted, and disagreed with.

SDC has had a couple of opportunities to write an interview with JT, but the timing was not right either time. It can take a lot of prep work on the interviewers part, especially when doing a written interview - but at this point I don't know that the site will be doing one any time soon. I am not suggesting anything other than, if I were to do one -I would want to talk about something new. Plus at this point, in terms of the big picture, I am fully engaged in another project hobby-wise (military history and wargaming wise), which is a pretty major deal.

I think this ends up showing that if you demonstrate competencies in one area, you can sometimes get opportunities in other areas.

Maybe I will change my mind at what point Wig is ready to release the next installment for Total War in Europe -although I have no idea when that might be -it has to be sooner than it was yesterday.

As far as I know, there are no series that have been shelved.

___

Actually there was one thing said in that interview, by JT that I wonder about - I am not sure if his Talonsoft Bulge title is still being sold- maybe it is... I haven't worried too much about it as I think I have two versions of it by Talonsoft.
Send this user an email
03-18-2014, 09:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM by Wodin.)
Sorry forgot I had already replied..nothing more than that. As for many people..only one I can see who disagreed here was yourself.

As for me doing it..I wouldn't bother as I know I couldn't do it justice..but these days everyone is trying to get their five mins of fame on the net talent or no talent or think they can do something when really they can't.

I just feel if you going to do podcasts and interview people then take a step back first and think about whether you can actually do it. You may get the chance to interview someone who rarely does interviews and many people may be interested and if your no good at it well it ends up being pointless and a let down at worse or just annoying at best.

It takes a certain kind of person to become a good interviewer..not everyone can do it. Confidence and knowledge are key.

As TDC says John managed to carry him along and go through it in a admirable way and came out of it looking like a good guy.

I don't want to fall out over this as really it's something over nothing.

(03-18-2014, 08:35 AM)trauth116 Wrote: They didn't get to WWI in that interview, which only means that there would be an opportunity there. I imagine Ed can answer queries on that as well as anyone with JTS.

Not sure why it is that you keep saying the same thing Jason - I think many got it the first time that you wrote it. Duly noted, and disagreed with.

SDC has had a couple of opportunities to write an interview with JT, but the timing was not right either time. It can take a lot of prep work on the interviewers part, especially when doing a written interview - but at this point I don't know that the site will be doing one any time soon. I am not suggesting anything other than, if I were to do one -I would want to talk about something new. Plus at this point, in terms of the big picture, I am fully engaged in another project hobby-wise (military history and wargaming wise), which is a pretty major deal.

I think this ends up showing that if you demonstrate competencies in one area, you can sometimes get opportunities in other areas.

Maybe I will change my mind at what point Wig is ready to release the next installment for Total War in Europe -although I have no idea when that might be -it has to be sooner than it was yesterday.

As far as I know, there are no series that have been shelved.

___

Actually there was one thing said in that interview, by JT that I wonder about - I am not sure if his Talonsoft Bulge title is still being sold- maybe it is... I haven't worried too much about it as I think I have two versions of it by Talonsoft.

Send this user an email