• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SB: Idea on scenario "replayability"
02-21-2014, 03:44 AM,
SB: Idea on scenario "replayability"
I really enjoy the entire SB series of games, but one major complaint I have is the lack of replayability (for lack of a better word) of individual scenarios due to the knowledge of minefields, barbwire, etc. after one has played the scenario.

Why not implement a pre-game option where mines, fortifications, fixed gun emplacements can be moved a couple of hexes from their initial set up?

Perhaps also a point system can be introduced that would allow players to purchase assets to allow some variability for the scenarios. Not a lot mind you, just enough to keep the opponent guessing.

Back to the games!
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2014, 06:02 AM,
RE: SB: Idea on scenario "replayability"
While SB is by far my most popular title, I still believe it needs a map editing and creation system much like that available in the CS game.

I have bemoaned the lack of such a function before and will continue to do so, as long as it remains absent.

It would ensure the SB series an almost endless life span and hugely increase its' scenario database.

But I fear it is unlikely to happen.

Spud.
02-21-2014, 09:03 AM,
Gentlemen

I am afraid that it is pretty unlikely that either a map editor or a free-setup option is going to be available soon. Both of these have been suggested before and the powers that be have nixed both ideas.

But that doesn't mean you can't create scenarios, you just have to use the maps that come with the game. There are usually large maps included for which you can use the submap editor to choose a piece that resembles the terrain you are trying to simulate. Even the scenario designers use this method to create some of their maps. And you can use the scenario editor to move the minefields and obstacles around, you would just need to save the scenario with a different name and send it to your opponent. This would be pretty easy and take only a few minutes.

If you don't know how to use these editors, drop me a line and I will try and walk you through it.

Jeff
02-21-2014, 09:14 AM,
Hi it is probably safe to say I have played more of these games than anybody else here and I have played most of the scenarios and yes in some of them I do know the set ups but one thing I have found is that no two people play the scenario the same way and that is what makes them different every time i play them
02-21-2014, 10:12 AM,
(02-21-2014, 09:14 AM)Landser34 Wrote: Hi it is probably safe to say I have played more of these games than anybody else here and I have played most of the scenarios and yes in some of them I do know the set ups but one thing I have found is that no two people play the scenario the same way and that is what makes them different every time i play them

I agree with you, for the most part. I can't help myself though knowing that if I drive down that road, which has the mine in-between the two village hexes, my Tiger will be immobilized, again.

I'm torn. I want to make like it's the first time I played this scenario, but I don't want to throw away a perfectly good tank.

Maybe my problem is that I have a good memory and I tend to remember where at the mines are in a game once I've played it.
02-22-2014, 12:04 AM,
Too bad, Jeff, about the decisions you mentioned. Player deployable assets would be a HUGE improvement. You would see, I think, a flurry of scenario redesign work, and see perhaps another spike in interest leading to more game sales.

I really LOVE playing the scenarios blind. I.e. playing them PBEM against an opponent in a scenario that I have NEVER opened or played. The surprise element is entertaining to me. That said, it does not help my win-loss record, especially against experienced players who may know where the mines are and the SETUP HMG, etc. But also curiously, my win-loss record is not that bad!

Thankfully, win-loss is not my major emphasis - it's enjoyment and the playability factor is a big factor. I agree with Dennis that no two people play the same. And many scenarios lend themselves well to individual nuance. For instance "Heavy Tanks at Rossienie" (AOTR) I have played against three different opponents, and all three were very different in their course. But playing as the Soviet - it is hard to force yourself to move up against the hidden Flammpanzer and take one for the (playability) team!

I have dabbled in scenario design for Naval Campaigns "Guadalcanal." In that title and series, one can establish a "random deployment" box. I would think that that the software would be fairly easy to do. Maybe The new PanzerBattles series will have this feature to encourage us all to jump into that series?!

Anyway - if it comes up, I would vote heartily "Aye" for some player-deployable assets capability or limited random deployment.

Steve
02-22-2014, 01:33 AM,
I agree with the deployable thing as well as extra force purchase. I have always supported the random scenario generator like in CS or SPs. I don't care about a map editor as a random map generator would create different maps as it is that could be saved for creating other scenarios, different sized maps and forces for those that would be interested.

Maybe with the force deployment would be you click this company and you get a shaded or unshaded area where the company can be deployed with some deployment areas that ovelap a little bit and them maybe a final deployment once all the forces have been placed that allows you to move units within 2 or 3 hexes from where you placed them for their final deployment, not just anywhere else on the map. If you made a mistake, you snooze, you lose.

Also, have the ability to cover all the years of the war, even if they are in different titles to do so like AotR covers 39-42 and RV covers 43-45. That would leave ES as the big boy to cover the WF entirely 39-45. With AotR starting in 39, you can cover Poland, ES would also cover the Med, NA and the early Balkans, RV would cover the late Balkans.
02-22-2014, 04:10 AM,
The map deal would be nice, but I would be happy with the "X" loads per the read me in patch AOTR 1.05.

Quote:"Changes for Advance of the Reich V1.05"
- Added reliability 'X' for loads, weapons, and vehicles.

and then "X" loads for ES Big Grin

This would give people the option to add Polish/ France systems into AotR and ES.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-22-2014, 07:44 AM,
(02-22-2014, 04:10 AM)Richie61 Wrote: The map deal would be nice, but I would be happy with the "X" loads per the read me in patch AOTR 1.05.

This would give people the option to add Polish/ France systems into AotR and ES.

Double what Ed said.
Send this user an email
02-22-2014, 10:38 AM,
(02-22-2014, 04:10 AM)Richie61 Wrote: The map deal would be nice, but I would be happy with the "X" loads per the read me in patch AOTR 1.05.

Maybe I'm not understanding what it is you're looking for, but the manual says this about x reliability:

Reliability X => Effectiveness does not degrade.

I don't understand how this translates into what you mentioned about French/Polish systems. What am I missing?