• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Newbie Question on Melee against Bridges
02-17-2014, 08:32 AM,
Help  Newbie Question on Melee against Bridges
Hello:

Just started playing the John Tiller BGCW series and I'm finding the PDF manual pretty useless...it states that units can melee a bridge but I can't seem to figure out how that is accomplished?

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 09:13 AM,
RE: Newbie Question on Melee against Bridges
Been a while since I played the Battleground versions but if I remember correctly highlight the bridge hex and then go to the menu bar and select the Melee menu. Select Begin melee. It should put a melee symbol of some sort on the bridge. Then highlight the the unit you want to do the melee and go back to the melee menu again and select "add to menu". You should then be able resolve the melee as normal then.

(02-17-2014, 08:32 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Hello:

Just started playing the John Tiller BGCW series and I'm finding the PDF manual pretty useless...it states that units can melee a bridge but I can't seem to figure out how that is accomplished?

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan
02-17-2014, 10:51 AM,
Thanks for the quick response Ranger.
I still couldn't seem to make it work, but I will continue to attempt solving the problem with some test games.

Regards,

Dan
02-17-2014, 12:08 PM,
I had to look at the HPS game as I dont have the Battleground games. It should be something very similar.

[quote ='Dan Caviness' pid='386413' dateline='1392598269']
Thanks for the quick response Ranger.
I still couldn't seem to make it work, but I will continue to attempt solving the problem with some test games.

Regards,

Dan
[/quote]
02-18-2014, 08:05 PM,
Also note - you can only melee bridges over rivers. Bridges over creeks can't be destroyed.
02-20-2014, 02:12 AM,
Melee a bridge? Not units across a bridge? You have to be in travel mode to assault units across a bridge, maybe you have to be the same for the bridge itself, you have to be in travel mode to repair it, might as well be the same.
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM,
Hey Outlaw Josey:

I've tried it in column, line, and upside down naked while blowing a kazoo (thought I was going somewhere else there didn't ya?) Islander but alas...my skills are weak...I find myself unworthy and unable to melee a bridge. Too bad actually...I could seal off most of the interior of the First Bull Run map if I could only destroy two little footbridges...

When I access the Melee drop down I have the following options:

Clear Melee
Add to Melee
Resolve Melee
Show Differential

Nothing I've tried has worked to get my units to attack the bridge.

Did I mention I'm old?
Did I mention I consider computers necessary evils that only exist to allow me to play wargames?

Thanks for your patience guys...not the end of the world here...I was only hoping the solution was obvious and simple...the kind I can fathom...where's my cane?...Thank you 3
02-24-2014, 01:57 AM,
Are these bridges over creeks or streams? I'm thinking you could only destroy bridges over waterways that are a full hex wide. I don't think you can destroy bridges that are just part of the hexside but have to be a full hex bridge in itself.
02-24-2014, 03:50 AM,
Ah HA...that may be it...
I haven't seen a full hex bridge yet playing the game, that may be the case. I'll look for one and see if it does the trick.

Interesting...in the Campaign Series of WWII games...West Front/East Front/Rising Sun...you can only destroy hexSIDE bridges and full hex bridges are untouchable...just keeping us on our toes of course...

Must be Tiller and Kroger trying to one up each other...Idea2
02-24-2014, 03:54 AM,
That I think is true KG, that's a good point. I know those bridges can be destroyed with cannon, don't know about inf or cav though, never tried that. I don't think the ones across a hexside can be destroyed, at least I haven't seen or heard anybody do that. I would think there would be a way to do a wooden bridge, but not stone. Somebody smarter than me would have to answer that question.

I'm with you Dan, the only thing I use my puter for is to read news headlines and the occasional article if it interests me, sports news and fantasy baseball and football because I can mess around with them for free just for the fun of it, email of course and mainly for the wargames.