• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Umpired Blind Game
12-23-2013, 05:24 AM,
Umpired Blind Game
Good Morning Gentlemen

I am thinking of trying another style of umpired game. I got the idea from something Mark mentioned in another post about actual commanders not being able to watch replays. My idea is that each player will represent a company commander and can only see what can be seen from his location. He will have to communicate his orders (by radio, hand signals, voice or runner) to his subordinates (me). He will then receive a report of what his senses detect during the turn, including a picture centered on his hex with what is visible. Each player will not be actually moving units, I will do that. I need two volunteers who have SB Vietnam installed. I would like to do at least part of this quasi-hot-seat. Perhaps New Years day would work as most people have that as a day off. It should move pretty fast.

Jeff Conner
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2013, 05:00 PM,
RE: Umpired Blind Game
I'd say that actually "seeing" is the word You are fixing on too directly here. I have always deemed replays on each level - strategic, operational and tactical too - as graphical abstraction of all the reports, data and clues each field or AoR commander was able to gather and process so it's not just a direct LOS that has to be taken into consideration. Even here, on a tactical scale level, with 5 minute intervals, it is easy to imagine and additional bit of information that has just been delivered or obtained or assembled as it is also supposed - in my humble opinion - to represent to some extent the way a certain commander has put the pieces together and the way he sees his battlefield in his mind. Then the human player steps in to act on this and that is the second stage of the decision making process - acting on all this.
12-24-2013, 08:52 AM,
Actually, I have plans to include all of the senses, but sight and hearing are likely to the most important with taste probably only being used when you plant your face in the mud. Still, if I don't get some interest, it may die on the vine. You guys all too much of a control freak to try something new? And I was hoping for someone other than the group in the team campaign game. You don't need much experience, just be willing to try something new and give me some feedback.

Jeff
12-24-2013, 08:57 AM,
Unfortunately I can only commit to making a turn per day, otherwise I'd be interested in playing.
12-24-2013, 11:26 AM,
Not a fan of SB Vietnam, so I am out.

Great idea for a game Thumbs Up
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."