• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

tank question
12-03-2013, 05:05 AM,
tank question
Hi, I was just watching the Walking Dead. In it a guy knocks out a tank by rolling a hand grenade down the barrel of the main gun. The tank bursts into flames and the guy in the commanders position says "oh no" and jumps out just in time. He is then shot in the head with a crossbow and eaten by zombies.

Does this sound possible? Could a tank really be knocked out that way?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2013, 09:51 AM,
RE: tank question
I don't think so. If the breech was open, the sharpnel of the grenade would've flown into the compartiment. Maybe even if there was a HE round loaded the grenade could have detonated it. Perhaps some real tanker around here can solve the doubt.
12-03-2013, 03:39 PM,
You would think there would be a door or something.
Send this user an email
12-04-2013, 09:12 AM,
I am an ex-zipper head, it is BS unless they had a round in the spout in which case the breach would have been closed so at the most the barrel would have burst. If the breach was open then the grenade would have ended up in the tank without the massive fire ball. Grenades are not that powerful of an explosive, only lethal for 5m.

I loved how all those civilians, with no combat training, did a combat advance and stood steady while their buddies were getting mowed down, and to think I went through years of training to get to that level.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
12-04-2013, 12:07 PM,
It was also great how all the pick up-trucks where not damaged by any of the assault rifle fire. They all seemed to start up without any problem. Not so much as a chipped windshield. Also when Daryl was using a zombie as a shield to absorb bullets as he advanced towards people who where firing from like 20 feet away. Not the most realistic episode. I still love that show though. Any idea what kind of tank that was?
Send this user an email
12-04-2013, 02:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 02:30 PM by Weasel.)
Yeah I noticed that too, thin sheet metal deflecting bullets, kind of makes you wonder why soldiers need kevlar vests doesn't it.

It was an M60 (easiest way of IDing the tank is the pinched nose, of course unless you can't see the front end.)
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
12-05-2013, 09:24 AM,
Funny you should ask........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndIpj97PA08

"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
12-06-2013, 12:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM by Wolf Blitzer.)
Coool! But I think that was a propaganda film like one of the comments says.
Send this user an email
12-06-2013, 02:08 PM,
Yes, probably so. But it's funny I had just seen that video recently and then this question popped up on the CMBN board.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
12-07-2013, 07:12 AM,
BS if it was only a grenade and they didn't have a round exposed and such. Plus there was no explosion, only a fireball which means to me that they had fuel in the tank.