• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

? on Fulda Gap '85 and other HPS games
10-30-2013, 10:44 AM,
? on Fulda Gap '85 and other HPS games
As I understand it, the AI in some scenarios begin with a predetermined objective or mission. For example, in Fulda Gap '85 the Russian 39th Guards MR division is tasked with the capture of Fulda. If during the advance an AI controlled stack is subject to an air interdiction strike does that stack lose its "coding" for lack of a better word, and no longer knows what to do?
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2013, 11:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM by Aaron.)
RE: ? on Fulda Gap '85 and other HPS games
(10-30-2013, 10:44 AM)Kingfish Wrote: As I understand it, the AI in some scenarios begin with a predetermined objective or mission. For example, in Fulda Gap '85 the Russian 39th Guards MR division is tasked with the capture of Fulda. If during the advance an AI controlled stack is subject to an air interdiction strike does that stack lose its "coding" for lack of a better word, and no longer knows what to do?

No, it still has its objective intill another objective takes its place if there is another. Its all set by turns so you say turn 1 go here and then you could say turn 8 go here so you can chain them together. The problem is if they are interdicted or a stacking limit was reached on the road in front of them they might drive off into the woods then when turn 8 is reach for the new objective it hasnt even reached the first objective yet so things start to fall apart.

As each turn goes by the AI falls apart even more. When setting up mine i will have about 5 objectives in the first 10 turns but as the game goes on you cant guess perfect where every unit will be on turn 15 so i make it a more general objective, i start setting objectives by Bn the first 10 turns but by turn 20 its a divisional objective.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
10-30-2013, 10:29 PM,
Thanks for the reply

So in a game like FG 85, where the terrain is less than ideal for a mechanized unit, there exists the possibility that a well placed air interdiction strike, such as at the head of a divisional march column, could completely disrupt the entire division's timetable?

Does the AI have the wherewithal to divert the rear of the column down side roads, or do we end up with the marching band in the alley at the end of "Animal House"?
10-31-2013, 12:46 AM,
(10-30-2013, 10:29 PM)Kingfish Wrote: Thanks for the reply

So in a game like FG 85, where the terrain is less than ideal for a mechanized unit, there exists the possibility that a well placed air interdiction strike, such as at the head of a divisional march column, could completely disrupt the entire division's timetable?

Does the AI have the wherewithal to divert the rear of the column down side roads, or do we end up with the marching band in the alley at the end of "Animal House"?

Correct, if you run a game with FOW off and boths sides AI you can see what happens, a road gets blocked and units behind it start driving off into the woods smokin wacky weed.

For the most part NO its not smart enough, those units off in the woods will drive straight on towards its objective and might lose 2-3 turns gettin out of the woods.

I do not use AI when im playing myself, move every unit yourself.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
10-31-2013, 05:58 AM,
Thanks again.

I've been playing both titles, as well as Normandy '44, and I appreciate the fact I finally have a forum where I can bounce questions off the more experienced players. With that in mind, here are a couple of more that have been dogging me:

1) Can you call in an air or artillery strike on bridges?
2) Is there a way to move multiple stacks along the route at the same time, i.e. a convoy command?
3) How is it that a flight of 24 A-10s attacking a Russian tank unit in clear terrain result in only 1-2 tank losses, if that?

Re: Normandy '44
1) Why does the British AVRE unit have such a low firepower rating against armored targets? As I understand it, these vehicles were designed to take out fortifications such as bunkers.
2) Is there a bug with regards to the defensive values of German Werfer units? I've launched three separate assaults with high quality paratroops on one isolated Werfer, and each time it has shrugged it off.
3) What exactly is the best method for using the rocket-equipped naval units?
10-31-2013, 07:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2013, 07:49 AM by Aaron.)
(10-31-2013, 05:58 AM)Kingfish Wrote: Thanks again.

I've been playing both titles, as well as Normandy '44, and I appreciate the fact I finally have a forum where I can bounce questions off the more experienced players. With that in mind, here are a couple of more that have been dogging me:

1) Can you call in an air or artillery strike on bridges?
2) Is there a way to move multiple stacks along the route at the same time, i.e. a convoy command?
3) How is it that a flight of 24 A-10s attacking a Russian tank unit in clear terrain result in only 1-2 tank losses, if that?

Re: Normandy '44
1) Why does the British AVRE unit have such a low firepower rating against armored targets? As I understand it, these vehicles were designed to take out fortifications such as bunkers.
2) Is there a bug with regards to the defensive values of German Werfer units? I've launched three separate assaults with high quality paratroops on one isolated Werfer, and each time it has shrugged it off.
3) What exactly is the best method for using the rocket-equipped naval units?

1. No you cant call ART or AC against bridges
2. No convoy, you can grab a whole stack and move it together but your inviting higher interdiction to the stack then if you moved it one unit at a time.
3.That is a design choice by whoever made the scenario, you can have higher attack values and lower number of AC if its designed that way.

ill leave the PzC Qs to someone else but off hand AVREs arnt designed for knockin out tanks either in low range/accuracy of main weapon and/or type of ammo being used
Rangers Lead the Way
10-31-2013, 09:10 AM,
There actually is a command to move a formation of units along a road. Click on but don't select the lead stack, then hold Alt and click on a destination and the units will go into travel mode if not in already and follow the lead unit to the destination. It works especially well with the reachable hexes on and selecting the fastest unit in the lead stack, then unselecting it and clicking where you want in the reachable area.

As to Normandy, quick answers from memory:
1. AVRE unit, does it have a high assault value? That is often unsed for that type f unit as it wasn't effective against mobile targets but deadly in close up situations - assaulting the bunker.
2. Without knowing the rules you are using it is hard telling what is happening. I would guess though that the specific Werfer unit is a hard halftrack mounted unit - and the assault rule in play can make them tough to kill without an effective HA value in the attacking units.
3. Fire at units in the open, normally don't do much against bunkers but again it depends on the rules in play to a point.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-31-2013, 09:44 PM,
(10-31-2013, 09:10 AM)Ricky B Wrote: There actually is a command to move a formation of units along a road. Click on but don't select the lead stack, then hold Alt and click on a destination and the units will go into travel mode if not in already and follow the lead unit to the destination. It works especially well with the reachable hexes on and selecting the fastest unit in the lead stack, then unselecting it and clicking where you want in the reachable area.

That is great, I will give it a try later on

Quote:As to Normandy, quick answers from memory:
1. AVRE unit, does it have a high assault value? That is often unsed for that type f unit as it wasn't effective against mobile targets but deadly in close up situations - assaulting the bunker.

That is what I was referring to, against bunkers and other fixed fortifications. I would think that an AVRE unit of 20+ vehicles should handle most bunkers, but mine seem inept.

Are they better used in DF mode, expending their 3 shots per turn at the bunkers, or as part of a combined arms assault?

Quote:2. Without knowing the rules you are using it is hard telling what is happening. I would guess though that the specific Werfer unit is a hard halftrack mounted unit - and the assault rule in play can make them tough to kill without an effective HA value in the attacking units.

The unit is a towed version located just behind Utah beach.
11-06-2013, 10:07 PM,
What does one do with scenarios that have missing unit icons?
11-06-2013, 10:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 10:46 PM by Tide1.)
There shouldn't be any missing icons. What scenario is it?
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman