• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS/JTS Napoleon series, where to start?
10-20-2013, 06:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 07:18 AM by BigDuke66.)
Help  HPS/JTS Napoleon series, where to start?
Well I had always interest in John Tiller games and as the 200 years Battle of the Nations now stirs up my Napoleon interest I really would like to try one title of the Napoleon series.
Anyone able to suggest a part?
Or a part I should avoid?

I think about Austerlitz as that is the earliest title in the timeline or are any battle before 1805 covered in any title?

Also I wonder if any "supporting" software is used by the community for this series.
AFAIK the battles can be linked to a campaign but there is no real movement between the battles that the player can influence, also casualties aren't carried over, so is there anything that resolves this lacks?
Already looked at some boardgames that can work with the VASSAL engine, not sure if it really could work but I guess worth a try.

Cheers
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2013, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: HPS/JTS Napoleon series, where to start?
(10-20-2013, 06:55 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Well I had always interest in John Tiller games and as the 200 years Battle of the Nations now stirs up my Napoleon interest I really would like to try one title of the Napoleon series.

I think about Austerlitz as that is the earliest title in the timeline or are any battle before 1805 covered in any title?

Also I wonder if any "supporting" software is used by the community for this series.
AFAIK the battles can be linked to a campaign but there is no real movement between the battles that the player can influence, also casualties aren't carried over, so is there anything that resolves this lacks?
Already looked at some boardgames that can work with the VASSAL engine, not sure if it really could work but I guess worth a try.

Cheers

I think you are correct as I do not believe there are any battles before 1805 covered by this series.

As for titles to focus on I have enjoyed HPS Waterloo alot however, I have also played that title the most. Along with the stock game you can download a Waterloo expansion pack for free, from HPS.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/FreeFiles/L...20Waterloo

I have heard some guys say that some of the Waterloo army positions are not always historically correct however, I have very limited knowledge about the Napoleonic War, as I am a WWII guy, so I have no personal knowledge about the historic sides of this game or series, as to who was positioned where, and who approached the battle from there, etc. All I know is that it is a very fun game and series to play.

If you look in the "Scenarios" section of the Blitz web site you can find each and every scenario that is offered in the JTS NAP titles. We are slowly trying to "fill in the gaps" of the older HPS titles. By looking through the scenario lists, you can get a feel as to what is offered in each game title.

I'm not sure what you are asking when you ask about "supporting software". Are you asking about art mods? If so, we have a full section devoted to the NAP series which can be found here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...hp?fid=262

As for campaign game, I don't play those so you are better of getting feedback for someone who does play those.

I do know first hand that the NAP titles released by JTS are very well put together. They are organized beautifully and do come with extra info that you do not see available in the HPS titles. Some of the extra info, comes in the form of PDF files that include Terrain Effects Charts, Armies involved, Weapons Effectiveness Chart, Scenario Strategy Guide, etc.

John Tiller HPS/JTS games really shine when playing them via PBEM. If you haven't played that way before, hopefully you will consider it at some point. For me, PBEM is the only way to play.

Good Luck
10-20-2013, 09:29 AM,
I've got em all and played em all at one time or another and would suggest that much depends on what your expectations are.

This is Napoleonic warfare at the battalion level. As a result, the biggest battles have a lot of pieces to shove here and there. What's more, as matters heat up, it can seem overwhelming to keep the C2 sorted.

This can make games like Leipzig, Bautzen, and 1813 appealing as they've got a nice selection of smaller scenarios as well as their monsters.

That said, the historical appeal of Leipzig (happy anniversary!), Waterloo, and even Jena/Auerstadt can be overwhelming. The one thing both Jena and Waterloo have is a "campaign in one battle" scenario that allows you to get a real feel for the manuever prior to battle.

Each game has its own imbalances and the experts on the period, the games, or both, will opine on these ad infinitum given the opportunity. For me, they're easily the best simulation of the period at this level -- particularly if you get yourself involved in a good MP club like, well, The Blitz (plug) as well as the Napoleonic Wargame Club.

Me? I'm a Waterloo whore, loved Austerlitz, and think Auerstadt has much to offer.

I'd encourage you to take the plunge and explore. And, if you'd like a game, just let me know.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
10-22-2013, 03:57 PM,
I would say either or both of the 1813 titles ( Campaign Bautzen & Campaign Leipzig) will give you tons of gameplay options, scenarios & Campaigns. Hours of fun with lots of supplemental information.
Let me know if you need a game. I'm always available for a battle!!! :)
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM,
I will add that Eckmuhl also has a the campaign as one battle. I would go with Leipzig as it has quite a large selection of scenarios of all sizes.
10-23-2013, 01:06 PM,
"campaign as one battle" can someone explain that a bit more?
10-23-2013, 10:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 10:59 PM by Compass Rose.)
I believe they are saying that you can play and battle in one scenario, and all of the action covers the majority of the "whole campaign".

In Eckmuhl the two scenarios that cover the whole campaign are 13a and 13h.

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Blac...4&ladder=7

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Blac...8&ladder=7
10-24-2013, 12:29 AM,
(10-20-2013, 06:55 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Well I had always interest in John Tiller games and as the 200 years Battle of the Nations now stirs up my Napoleon interest I really would like to try one title of the Napoleon series.

Cheers

Casualties are carried over in the campaign games. Depending on how closely two battles occur between one another, fatigue can carry over as well.

As for the "campaign in one battle" games, some of the titles where the majority of the campaign happened within a few days have one big scenario covering the entire thing with all of the major forces on a giant map. Think Waterloo, Jena-Auesterdedt, and Eckmuhl. They'll have a big 350-500 turn scenario where you can micromanage the whole campaign.

For recommendations, I would probably start with one where you have a personal interest or fascination in the main battle, a few of the main battles that took place, or the campaign as a whole.

Waterloo is probably the most popular one, so there is no shortage of opponents there.

Leipzig and Bautzen seem to be popular choices lately. They offer a lot of variety in the scope of their scenarios. Everything from major battles to small rear guard actions. They are also two of the newer titles, so probably have not been played to death by all of the veterans of the series yet.

Honestly, all the games are great, so I would initially pick the campaign that holds the most interest to you.
10-24-2013, 01:47 AM,
Thanks.
Just out of curiosity I looked at the number of finished games per title, interesting allocation I would say:
Games finished per year - title
12.676 - Eckmuhl Campaign
8.151 - Napoleon's Russian Campaign
7.807 - Wagram Campaign
18.812 - Waterloo Campaign
4.963 - Jena-Auerstaedt Campaign
4.793 - Austerlitz Campaign
7.878 - Leipzig Campaign
3.399 - 1814 Campaign
6.145 - Campaign Bautzen

I think it's understandable why Waterloo busts the chart but why Austerlitz is so far back that even the new Leipzig and Bautzen have more finished games despite being much younger wonders me a bit.
10-24-2013, 02:15 AM,
Just my opinion, but I did not find the Austerlitz scenarios as interesting.

Even the big battle... When you are aware of the trap that Napoleon set for the Allies, it is pretty easy to avoid that trap.

It does have some options for different starting positions for the Battle of Austerlitz though, which makes it a bit more interesting.

The real interest to me in the Austerlitz campaign was on a grand scale. All of the maneuvering and planning... the battle itself was almost a forgone conclusion once it started.

Even the Ulm campaign (included with Austerlitz)... it was brilliant, but had more to do with maneuver and outsmarting Mack than any grand battle that was fought.

If I'm not mistaken, the other titles also boast a lot more scenarios overall.