• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

*** Scenario of the Month: October 2013 - Pairings
11-10-2013, 07:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013, 07:22 AM by KeBrAnTo.)
RE: Scenario of the Month: October - Pairings
(11-04-2013, 07:30 AM)Mad Mike Wrote: Game Tester vs. Mad Mike ended with a ceasfire and a tactical victory for the germans.

This scenario (Termoli) is a monster and way too big for my liking.

I just surrendered playing allies this map, a duck-shooting battle lacks of interest to me.

Way too unbalanced the game IMHO. If, as the story tells, Termoli town was captured by surprise by the allied paras, I do not understand how the German forces are so well positioned since turn 0, already completely surrounding the town, over the high ground, over the path to the city, they're dug in everywhere, when they were supposed to be in a shock and disorganized after the paras took over the city, this is my oppinion.

I do not know if German troops are already fixed to these dominant positions at the beginning of the game or the player may move them wherever he likes on the setup phase, if the first, read what i said above these lines, if the second, breaks the whole description of what it is supposed to be this battle since the beginning, as you expect another totally different situation to what it is described on the briefing.

Lost 5 shermans, 5 Stuarts and 4 Churchills in the first 15 turns to side and front shooting of a 75mm AT gun, Sdkfz 75mm and 2 sturmgeshutz as the allied troops are caged on a corner of the map, AT couldn't be spotted at all until this last turn when I decided to quit, which tells you everything.

I'm not scared of big battles but do not like the ones that make no sense at all.
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM by DB_Zero.)
(11-10-2013, 07:14 AM)KeBrAnTo Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 07:30 AM)Mad Mike Wrote: Game Tester vs. Mad Mike ended with a ceasfire and a tactical victory for the germans.

This scenario (Termoli) is a monster and way too big for my liking.

I just surrendered playing allies this map, a duck-shooting battle lacks of interest to me.

Way too unbalanced the game IMHO. If, as the story tells, Termoli town was captured by surprise by the allied paras, I do not understand how the German forces are so well positioned since turn 0, already completely surrounding the town, over the high ground, over the path to the city, they're dug in everywhere, when they were supposed to be in a shock and disorganized after the paras took over the city, this is my oppinion.

I do not know if German troops are already fixed to these dominant positions at the beginning of the game or the player may move them wherever he likes on the setup phase, if the first, read what i said above these lines, if the second, breaks the whole description of what it is supposed to be this battle since the beginning, as you expect another totally different situation to what it is described on the briefing.

Lost 5 shermans, 5 Stuarts and 4 Churchills in the first 15 turns to side and front shooting of a 75mm AT gun, Sdkfz 75mm and 2 sturmgeshutz as the allied troops are caged on a corner of the map, AT couldn't be spotted at all until this last turn when I decided to quit, which tells you everything.

I'm not scared of big battles but do not like the ones that make no sense at all.

It was a turkey shoot man I was wondering if the Allied were going to get more tanks as reinforcements.

I did offer to play as the Allied side. I'd like to see if a different approach will be more successful. I didn't reposition 90% of my forces. They are well dug in and well positioned.

Knowing what I do know I think a more deliberate and calculated approach may be necessary. From my viewpoint you were too aggressive and more recon may have been necessary. I also got lucky with a couple of my tank kills.

I would like to try it as the British against someone.
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM,
(11-10-2013, 08:13 AM)DB_Zero Wrote:
It was a turkey shoot man I was wondering if the Allied were going to get more tanks as reinforcements.

I did offer to play as the Allied side. I'd like to see if a different approach will be more successful. I didn't reposition 90% of my forces. They are well dug in and well positioned.

Knowing what I do know I think a more deliberate and calculated approach may be necessary. From my viewpoint you were too aggressive and more recon may have been necessary. I also got lucky with a couple of my tank kills.

I would like to try it as the British against someone.

Maybe I was too agressive because I had to get out from the starting position asap. I don't think I couldn't have carried out a proper recon action either, as all my troops were caged on a corner of the map on the low land, therefore they could have been spotted and targeted from anywhere of the German positions and also, even doing recon would have taken some time, time I couldn't spend if you take into account the extra Pz IV's germans were supposed to get as reinforcements, again, on the high ground....

Thanks for the offer about changing sides, but not really interested on this map at all, makes no sense to me.
11-12-2013, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM by Wicked Pete.)
I have surrendered to Fusilier9 in our "Its just a bridge" game. It was a drawn out fight with many ups and downs. We beat the living hell out of each other throughout the match and it just came down to his finale push with a group of soldats he scraped together that broke my men.
My only complaint about this scenario would be the time limit. One hour is a long time to hold out against a determined German opponent.
11-14-2013, 11:43 AM,
I just surrendered "Its Just a Bridge". I held out till the last Sherman, but to no avail. Had it been 9 turns shorter I may have pulled it out. Seeing 3 shots at what amounts to point blank range bounce off Panther sucks, but that's life. I also had a 3 inch (76mm) AT gun fire fruitlessly at a Panther.

I guess I could have fought on to the bitter end and see if my last 105mm artillery barrage would have killed a few more Germans or score a lucky hit against a Panther or 2 , but that would have been a cheap victory.

Give the Americans a 90mm AA gun, or Jackson tank and it may be a different story. Perhaps another 57mm or 76mm AT gun may make it a different story, but then again 1 destroyed Panther and the battle becomes seriously unhinged.
11-16-2013, 09:33 PM,
I just got a total victory as the Germans vs DB_Zero in "It is just a Bridge".
Without my 2 tanks I would have had no chance. Difficult for the Allies trying to sneak around with the 2 shermans and getting a lucky shot against my tanks.

Anyway thank you to DB_Zero for the game.

Ernst
11-17-2013, 02:50 AM,
(11-16-2013, 09:33 PM)ernst Wrote: I just got a total victory as the Germans vs DB_Zero in "It is just a Bridge".
Without my 2 tanks I would have had no chance. Difficult for the Allies trying to sneak around with the 2 shermans and getting a lucky shot against my tanks.

Anyway thank you to DB_Zero for the game.

Ernst

It was fun even if I got crushed. I think positioning the AT guns differently and being more cautious with the Sherman may go a ways to give the American a better chance, but I was surprised at how many support vehicles you had and once the AT guns get spotted they are easy targets for the support Hannomags.

I would also place the TRPs differently.

Overall I do like the battle.
11-17-2013, 03:22 AM,
(11-17-2013, 02:50 AM)DB_Zero Wrote: It was fun even if I got crushed. I think positioning the AT guns differently and being more cautious with the Sherman may go a ways to give the American a better chance, but I was surprised at how many support vehicles you had and once the AT guns get spotted they are easy targets for the support Hannomags.

I would also place the TRPs differently.

Overall I do like the battle.

I took a look at the map and starting allied positions and I think an aggressive defence during the early stages of the battle and then small squad ambushes could buy enough time for the reinforcements to get to the battlefield. Looks like a hard match for the allied player.
12-18-2013, 07:02 PM,
Looks like Comdr stopped playing. My PMs were read but still no answer. I will wait one week and then cancel the battle.
12-24-2013, 07:18 PM,
(12-18-2013, 07:02 PM)Toblakai Wrote: Looks like Comdr stopped playing. My PMs were read but still no answer. I will wait one week and then cancel the battle.

Okay, for 6 weeks no answer. I will cancelling the game.