• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

BG NW
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM,
BG NW
Hail Fellow War Gamers!

I recently purchased the Matrix BG Napoleonic War games. This is my first foray into the Napoleonic games. Can some one tell me if column fire by infantry is more effective than line fire?
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 01:59 AM,
RE: BG NW
Line fire is more effective - more of the muskets can fire
Column melee is more effective than line - there is always someone behind the ones that fall.
10-03-2013, 07:50 PM,
Thanks. Yes, so far I have noticed much more detailed rules around infantry formation than found in the ACW games...stacking and use of cavalry seem to have significant differences when compared to the ACW games as well.
10-04-2013, 05:27 AM,
There are a lot of differences between the 2 engines. Probably one of the most important is the deployment and use of skirmishers in the Nap series.
10-04-2013, 07:20 PM,
Do squadrons automatically rejoin their parent unit when stacked with them or is there a button that needs to be selected?
10-04-2013, 07:27 PM,
You will need to click the S button again - the same one you click to break down a regiment to squadrons (or to deploy/recombine infantry skirmishers for that matter). The squadrons must not be disordered or it won't work, although a parent unit may be disordered.
10-07-2013, 12:41 AM,
Thanks. There seem to be a lot of circumstances that Disorder units. Cav also seems to be more of an attacking force than it is in the ACW games, where is best to use as recon/scouts and security.
10-07-2013, 06:22 PM,
Cavalry can be an effective weapon but you need to be careful in their usage. They cost a lot of points and can be a one-shot weapon if used incorrectly, so make sure they don't get isolated by charging and meleeing too far. And different types of cavalry have different charge and defence bonuses so know your units and weapons.
10-09-2013, 09:23 AM,
I've been learning my lessons the hard way. Been playing some Quatre Bras scenarios. If anyone has a favorite scenario, please let me know the name. I find that the more popular scenarios among the gaming crowd tend to be the best overall.
10-09-2013, 11:04 AM,
(10-09-2013, 09:23 AM)kolc Wrote: I've been learning my lessons the hard way. Been playing some Quatre Bras scenarios. If anyone has a favorite scenario, please let me know the name. I find that the more popular scenarios among the gaming crowd tend to be the best overall.

Try the Shevardino Redoubt scenario in the Napoleon in Russia. It is a pretty cool scenario.

Ron