• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

playing PzC over network
09-23-2013, 06:44 AM,
playing PzC over network
hi, i'm setting up a new network with network attached storage at home. I'd like to save the games on the server so that I can play either at my desk or on the couch, with the same save game file.

But I don't think I can change the location of the saved game files from c:\ to the server. I guess I could try to just install the game to the server and run it from either location, but am not sure and would prefer not to waste a bunch of time trying to figure it out.

Does anyone have something like this up and running?
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2013, 11:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM by Liquid_Sky.)
RE: playing PzC over network
You could map the server to a drive. But you would need the whole game folder since it wants to save in it.

I know on the older games, you can move the folder to what ever drive you want, and they will play...Tunisia and up will want an activation after you do so....but they might work.

Using Windows 7, you can just right click the network drive and choose Map to Drive..and pick a Drive letter

EDIT: I just tried it (Budapest '45) with a network drive I use for the kids movies....and it worked fine from the laptop and from my desktop. I doubt that Tunisia, Kharkov '43, or Moscow '42 will work, unless you activate it on each device you will run it on...it probably uses the registry to mark the activation.
09-23-2013, 02:16 PM,
Thanks for the response. I've already got some drives mapped to the server, so I guess I will try to install it when I get a chance. I'm playing Smolensk at the moment, so hopefully no difficulties.
09-25-2013, 03:16 AM,
I've installed all of my games to a separate game folder on a Free Agent drive for many years. It's super convenient.

I did recently change computers though, and had to re-enter serial numbers for the newer games, so keep those numbers handy. (I've saved those emails in the game folders for future reference.)
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM by 76mm.)
I finally got a chance to try to set this up, and it didn't work...

I tried to install Smolensk onto Drive W (network drive) and before installation actually begins the install program says that "Drive W is not a valid drive" (or something similar). I can see W from the computer I'm installing from, and the install program itself allows me to choose a folder on W when selecting an installation destination, so I'm not sure the problem could be. I've tried reinstalling 3-4 times now with the same result.

One question: does the install folder need to have exactly the same name as the default folder? For instance, I named the install folder "Smolensk 41" instead of Smolensk '41". I can't see why that would matter, but I thought I'd ask.

Any bright ideas?
10-15-2013, 04:08 AM,
Just install the game on your desktop drive.

After, you can move the folder anywhere you want...the game is self-contained. Move the folder to your network drive and make a shortcut to your game executable.

I strongly suspect that the game folder has to keep the exact same name, but I don't recall if I have tried or not.

I haven't installed the games in years...I keep the games in a John Tiller folder on a backup drive with all the alt stuff and map mode etc...
10-15-2013, 04:19 AM,
OK, thanks, will try that...though it sounds too easy, haven't successfully tried that simple maneuver in many years!
10-15-2013, 12:38 PM,
Tried this last night; works OK, although a bit laggy because of some latency issues on my network. Thanks for the tips.
10-16-2013, 02:52 AM,
You can stop some of the lag by turning off sound effects/background noise/movement sound. Everytime the game needs a sound, it will want to load it.