• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New SB purchase advice.
09-14-2013, 07:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 07:12 AM by z1812.)
New SB purchase advice.
Hi,

I would like to buy another SB's game. There have been quite a few new ones since I last bought one so I thought I would ask advice here.

I prefer smaller battles so I am wondering which of the new SB games would have the most smaller scenarios. The ones I am considering are as follows,

First World War
Red Victory
Spanish Civil War
Falklands
Modern War
Dien Bien Phu

I look forward to any replies.

Thank you,

John
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2013, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: New SB purchase advice.
I do not own Falklands or Modern War so I can not comment on them however, I do own the others and have played them only by PBEM. With me being a life-long fan of WWII, I would have to say that RV would be the "must have" title from your list.

As has been stated numerous times in the past in the forum boards, RV is arguable the best SB WWII game released to date and is also considered one of the top SB games found in the whole series.

If you have any interest in WWI, SB FWW can be a fun game to play. It comes with a ton of background info and covers the whole war 1914-1918. Just make sure you bring your own gas mask or you may find yourself being gassed by your opponent! [Image: a6a68d42f6gas.gif]

I had a hard time getting into SCW (Spanish Civil War) due to the very low range/"weak" weapons that are used. Out of a handful of scenarios I played, neither opponent had a machine gun or any armor and it felt as if most of the units had a pistol or a out-of-date rifle. Because of this, I feel it requires a different set of tactics than the ones you may find yourself normally using in the other SB titles, since it is very hard (at least for me it was) to offer suppressing fire in your attack.

Dien Bien Phu is a good title covering the early part of the Vietnam War. I have played some fun battles in that title. It was the last title released to cover the nam series and has been called, more than once, a good and underplayed game.

Good Luck on your decision. Let us know what you end up getting. Smile
09-14-2013, 11:00 AM,
Hey John!

Here is how I would list your titles Big Grin

Red Victory Respect3

Spanish Civil War - great infantry game!
Falklands
Modern War - US fire power rules most battles.
Dien Bien Phu - good title, just don't know a lot about this war
First World War - I am not a big WWI fan: thus the order
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
09-14-2013, 11:24 AM,
Thank you very much for the answers so far.

I am wondering if would you say that Red Victory has the greatest number of smaller scenarios.
09-14-2013, 11:33 AM,
I'm not sure if every scenario is uploaded for all of the games on your list however, you can take a look to see what the size of the scenarios are by looking at the scenario listings.

Here is the listing for RV. The smaller the SM number, the smaller amount the number of units/scenario size.

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Squa...rder_by=sm

To find out how the SM number is determined for the SB series look here:

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/action=sm#SqB
09-14-2013, 11:38 AM,
(09-14-2013, 11:24 AM)z1812 Wrote: Thank you very much for the answers so far.

I am wondering if would you say that Red Victory has the greatest number of smaller scenarios.

I am not sure about that. SCW is post WWI , FWW is big. Modern Battles and Falklands probably lowest counter density but can't count number of scenarios. RV is great but tends to involve lots of units. Just got new computer and haven't got all titles set up. Did you check out the DB? Smile
09-14-2013, 11:40 AM,
Red Victory.

I imagine Falklands will have smaller scenarios.

Def not First World War as that has loads of monster scenarios.

Usually your best going for the War that interests you the most.

(09-14-2013, 11:38 AM)fastphil Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 11:24 AM)z1812 Wrote: Thank you very much for the answers so far.

I am not sure about that. SCW is post WWI , FWW is big. Modern Battles and Falklands probably lowest counter density but can't count number of scenarios. RV is great but tends to involve lots of units. Just got new computer and haven't got all titles set up. Did you check out the DB? Smile
Send this user an email
09-14-2013, 11:45 AM,
From doing a quick scan of the scenario listings on the data base (DB) it appears that RV, MW, FAL, & SCW have the most number of scenarios rated with a SM number of 2.

FWW and DBP show having larger scenarios based on the SM numbers.
09-14-2013, 03:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 03:22 PM by z1812.)
Thanks again for all of your replies.

As suggested I checked the scenario database in regards to the SM numbers and it looks like Red Victory and/or Modern War will be my choice.

Again thanks for your help.
09-14-2013, 04:50 PM,
RV not just for quantity but the quality as well

For me head and shoulders above all other titles I own though I don't have modern war
244 games with legend that is Richie61