• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Video After Action
08-15-2013, 02:31 AM,
Video After Action
Here is an Video AAR to a game that Im playinglet me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl0OA6y9VZw
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM by Dog Soldier.)
RE: Video After Action
Nice examples of game play for the SB series. A good first attempt. I have not seen SB videos before like this, though I have seen videos of other war games.

Would be more interesting with some voice over commentary as to what is going on. Doing so might slow down your play style a bit thus lengthening the game (and film clips). However, some of the action is pretty fast and maybe hard for novice players of the game or those just interested in the game series to follow what is going on.

Example: Voice: Now the British are firing illumination rounds to uncover the second and third Argentine defense positions further up the hill. Now than these positions are illuminated the forward observer...

(click on his counter and point to his image... hold a few seconds) click on artillery dialog (maybe better to use a hot key so the viewer does not get dizzy following the fast cursor all over the place)

voice: calls in the 105mm battery on the enemy's second line. (pause as artillery shells begin to drop) Good, the guns are on target this time!

Ok, that sounds maybe a bit cheesy, but I think it illustrates my point that people watch these videos to either improve their game and pick up tricks from a master player like yourself or they are searching to see game play because they are interested in buying the game. The latter just want to know how complex or easy game play looks among other things, I think.

Without these things, it would be like posting an AAR here in the forum with only some images and no text as to what is going on. BTW, voice overs do not have to be perfect.

I think you might get more views if you could expand your description of each video with a paragraph of the overall action in each segment. More words = more key words = more searches to find you on YouTube = more views. A plug for the blitz SB forum would not hurt either. Wink

Still a good show for the first I have ever seen on the series. With a voice over there has to be a way to award some points like we would for a more traditional AAR. If you are game Landser34, I will talk it over with the SB commanders.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-15-2013, 08:01 PM,
(08-15-2013, 01:15 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Nice examples of game play for the SB series. A good first attempt. I have not seen SB videos before like this, though I have seen videos of other war games.

Would be more interesting with some voice over commentary as to what is going on. Doing so might slow down your play style a bit thus lengthening the game (and film clips). However, some of the action is pretty fast and maybe hard for novice players of the game or those just interested in the game series to follow what is going on.

Example: Voice: Now the British are firing illumination rounds to uncover the second and third Argentine defense positions further up the hill. Now than these positions are illuminated the forward observer...

(click on his counter and point to his image... hold a few seconds) click on artillery dialog (maybe better to use a hot key so the viewer does not get dizzy following the fast cursor all over the place)

voice: calls in the 105mm battery on the enemy's second line. (pause as artillery shells begin to drop) Good, the guns are on target this time!

Ok, that sounds maybe a bit cheesy, but I think it illustrates my point that people watch these videos to either improve their game and pick up tricks from a master player like yourself or they are searching to see game play because they are interested in buying the game. The latter just want to know how complex or easy game play looks among other things, I think.

Without these things, it would be like posting an AAR here in the forum with only some images and no text as to what is going on. BTW, voice overs do not have to be perfect.

I think you might get more views if you could expand your description of each video with a paragraph of the overall action in each segment. More words = more key words = more searches to find you on YouTube = more views. A plug for the blitz SB forum would not hurt either. Wink

Still a good show for the first I have ever seen on the series. With a voice over there has to be a way to award some points like we would for a more traditional AAR. If you are game Landser34, I will talk it over with the SB commanders.

Dog Soldier

Good comments, and should get AAR points if voiced and linked in the AAR section.
Send this user an email
08-15-2013, 09:52 PM,
(08-15-2013, 02:31 AM)Landser34 Wrote: Here is an Video AAR to a game that Im playinglet me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl0OA6y9VZw

I am impressed by the technical ability of so many people! Well done, sir! How did you do that?

I sense that this is a early prototype and by no means a finished product. But with that said, here are some comments: 2cents2

1. Choose a scenario in which the 'owning' player moves first. - - - Watching the playbacks of my OWN PBEM games is much akin to watching paint dry (yet another reason so many of you beat the stuffing outta me!) and moves way too fast for anyone not well versed in the SqB system to follow. You will lose your audience within 30 seconds.

2. I second (or third) the idea of voice-overs or balloon captioning. Something to explain what is going on and what the player is attempting to do and how the engine helps or hinders said objectives.

3. Perhaps most important - clearly decide the intended audience. Is it an AAR for experienced players or an intro to new players. Maybe a teaser for the Blitz club. There would no doubt be a lot of work involved but I could see something like this combined with war footage, music, animation, and an interesting running commentary becoming an excellent recruiting tool for both the Blitz and the SqB system in particular.

[of course, make it TOO interesting and exciting, then we'll lose the newcomers when they engage boring old farts ... like ME!] ROTFLMAO

All in all, an intriguing start! Again, Bravo Zulu sir!

Steve
08-16-2013, 01:33 AM,
I got the idea for this video from a guy named Peter Jevons (Glint) some of you my know him and have played games against him, he posted a video of a JTCS Rising Sun game that he was playing I ask him how he did it and he told me .The Reason I made this video I have had a few guys ask me about the games about the game and finally instead of being able to tell them about it I could show them and as a matter of fact a guy told me he bought a game after he watched the video I posted the rest of this game is on youtube and also if people see this the videos of games they might buy and we can always use more players of this game and if the games get support they will make more of them.

The version of the program I have is the free version it does not have the ability to add text or voice over which as in your previous post you guys would like to see and I agree that would be nice all I can do with this is just what is happening in the window it is easy to use if I can do it a lot of you guys with more computer skills than me can do it.

here is also the next turn if interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowXAInVRRA
08-16-2013, 11:04 PM,
Next turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9jyYQGXjo
08-18-2013, 02:28 AM,
next turn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXx89YXRX2w