• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS Diadochoi Wars Released
08-03-2013, 11:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM by Compass Rose.)
HPS Diadochoi Wars Released
[Image: 90fbb18c31Diodochoi%20Wars.jpg]

HPS is proud to announce the release of Diadochoi Wars, a Paul Bruffell game, published by HPS

The death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC saw his empire torn by wars where armies marched under the command of great generals called Diadochoi (Successors). These included Ptolemy, Craterus, Seleucus, Antigonus and many more. Fighting raged from Greece and Egypt to the far flung frontiers of Bactria and the Indus. Armies were composed of every type of troop from veteran phalangites to barbarian mercenaries. When the fighting ended, the Diadochoi had carved out kingdoms which lasted until the rise of the Roman Empire.

Diadochoi Wars puts you in command of these armies. The game includes many historical battles, as well as a campaign allowing you to link them together. There is also a scenario editor where you choose your army, your troop types, weapons and armor, then play them against the computer AI or a human opponent. Pike phalanxes, fully armored cataphract cavalry, peltasts, and elephants are all at your disposal. Special tactics include skirmishing and wedges. Elephants can rout and create havoc for both sides. The game combines history with playability to deliver an exciting tactical level simulation of Hellenistic warfare.

Features include – unique unit types, competition style battles, limited missile supply, and morale impact. You can view your armies in several modes, from 2D overhead to 3D. All these make for a new and exciting game in HPS's Ancient Warfare series.

Minimum PC System Requirements:
- 1 GHz Pentium CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- 1000 MB Hard Drive
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 (Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft)

[Image: 1314b6a284Dio_Cav_Unit.jpg]

[Image: e3d5b23871Dio_Elephant_Unit.jpg]

[Image: 8fce6eae82Dio_Screen_Shot_Elephants.jpg]

[Image: 8cd6c0de48Dio_Screen_Shot_1.jpg]

[Image: acc21dc89eDio_Screen_Shot_2.jpg]

[Image: 0d761414e2Dio_Screen-Shot_3.jpg]

More info about the game can be found here:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/An...oiWars.asp
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM,
RE: HPS Diodochoi Wars Released
Not sure why this seems to be top secret info for these games when released but since its never included in the game release descriptions I must ask: What armies are included in this new title? Obviously several Successor armies. My guess: Galatians, some sort of steppe peoples uhh, hmm Rhodes? Cheers!
08-07-2013, 12:05 PM,
RE: HPS Diadochoi Wars Released
From the info I received from Paul these are the armies found in the Diadochoi scenarios:

Antigonid
Baktrian
Barbarian
Greek
Macedon
Ptolymaic
08-07-2013, 12:12 PM,
(08-07-2013, 12:05 PM)Compass Rose Wrote: From the info I received from Paul these are the armies found in the Diadochoi scenarios:

Antigonid
Baktrian
Barbarian
Greek
Macedon
Ptolymaic

Thanks! (was hoping to see some Sarmatians/Skythians but perhaps too early for the one, too late for the other)
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM,
I asked Rich Hamilton to pass along to Paul the need for a scenario list as well. That should be an item that is included in all releases via a link to a PDF. I am doing that for all of my Napoleonic titles that I am working on for JTS.

Very glad to see this game come out. It is one of the more challenging periods of history. A bit different from the Roman Civil Wars in that there are SO many factions.

As for moving on to the Medieval period ... hey, there are TONS of ancient period games he could still do to include the Ottoman Turks, the Byzantine Empire battles, the last 300 years of the Roman empire when folks like Atila the Hun came for dinner ... Mex Big Grin

I applaud this series even if I cannot play the games due to vision issues ... (the movement of the units - squiggly tadpole motions and where they end their moves along with other issues keeps me from playing these games).

Way to go Paul and other folks that helped on this one!
08-07-2013, 12:40 PM,
Oh yeah , I agree, I think this engine could really handle combat all the way up to the Italian Wars!
After that Tercios etc could be problematic yet no game I know can really get those correct (except possibly tabletop games but that is a different breed of game altogether) Sorry to hear that you cant play these games due to eye issues. I have good vision (at least at close range) but I get by what you mean with the squiggly tadpole motions. Now that I have figure out what causes this and that there is a purpose allows me to ignore it. I generally give my orders and walk away while the turn resolves (sometime I watch to see how the casualty counts are going and focus more micromanagement on areas or units that seem to be getting clobbered.
Somewhere I read they might add an additional 3d zoom level, maybe that will help?
Cheers!
08-07-2013, 06:19 PM,
I have no idea about HPS plans, but so far, Paul and the team have been really exhaustive trying to cover everything.

For this reason alone, I think their next step may be Macedonian Wars. Rome against Macedonia and Seleucia. Legion vs Phalanx on an epic scale :)

But in the end I agree with you, IMHO the engine is ready for Medieval Warfare.

Sgt_Rock, I'm working on that scenario list. I will post it here when done.
08-09-2013, 04:08 AM,
Stock scenario list in Excel format, covering all the six Ancient Warfare games and the two Roman Civil Wars expansions.

Added historical date and scenario author.

.zip   HPS Ancient Warfare scenario list.zip (Size: 12.68 KB / Downloads: 7)
08-10-2013, 05:25 AM,
Better version of the Scenario List, this time in text format and including descriptions. Smile

Separate files for each game.

.zip   Ancient Warfare scenario list.zip (Size: 70.24 KB / Downloads: 18)
08-11-2013, 02:51 AM,
Thanks for posting that, quite an impressive list.

BTW, can anyone whom owns Diadochi Wars highlight what the Bactrian list looks like, unit wise? My knowledge of this time period is somewhat light but the Greico-Bactrian Kingdom itself is 150 years aprox., later than this title covers , so I guess its the native Baktrians? Horsearchers and hillmen? Cheers!