• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode?
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM by Huib Versloot.)
RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode?
In making and playing of scenarios I still use all current map zoom levels. Especially on large maps I find 2d zoom out still very useful.
3d extreme zoom out is the one I use least... but I still use it.

Huib
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 01:13 AM,
I use "2" 3D for most of the game and "1" 3D for close in fights where there are lots of units. I do use "4" 2D to gain a good perspective on terrain as well as recon LOS. Also, for quick movement of convoys in very large scenarios.

I prefer the 2D normal over the 3D extreme out. In 3D extreme, the stuff is just too small IMHO and doesn't give me much utilization value.
08-08-2013, 11:07 PM,
I use "1" 3D most of the time and "4" 2D when moving units that are not near the front lines. I never use either of the extreme zoom out modes.
08-17-2013, 03:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2013, 03:35 AM by John Given.)
Hmm, well I don't see any real reason to remove anything per se, considering that variety is one thing that makes a game great.

I have a real good use for 3d extreme zoom out - spotting enemy artillery / counter-battery fire.

At the beginning of a scenario, I set to extreme 3d zoom out (view 3) and trace the origin of the 'yellow dotted line' to get a good idea of where the artillery originated from.

2d extreme zoom out (view 5) is important on very large maps to get a good tactical overview of the situation. If I am playing a corps-sized dynamic campaign, this view is a must for organizing your forces, especially during the set-up phase of said campaign (when you set up all your bunkers and IP's and such).

Afterthought edit; you could make the (fair) argument that 3d extreme zoom out was never meant to be used to help spot the origins of enemy artillery. It always felt like a glitch in the game to me...but if that was really true, then why were the 'yellow dotted lines' included in the game in the first place?
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
08-17-2013, 05:11 AM,
By now, it's quite clear that lots of players have use for all five of the display modes. We won't be retiring any of them (will hopefully add a new zoomed-in 2D mode), you can be sure of it.

Thanks for the feedback, all.
08-17-2013, 05:53 AM,
Great news Berto! I for one use all five of them and can't see how a large scenario can be played if missing any one of them Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-31-2013, 09:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM by Dan Caviness.)
I use it quite a bit. Not a default view by any means but any player who prefers 3D mode in general should make use of it when he needs to get his "blinders" off to get the strategic sense of a scenario (big picture).

Please retain it.

Regards,

Dan

Reply to John:

I think those lines are somewhat defendable, artillery that fired under LOS of any enemy unit has historically been subject to counter battery fire. I see what you mean John, as it probably would never have "given" (pun intended) you the exact hex of origin.

If you watch in 3D close or medium range I think you'd be able to sleep better with your conscience since the lines then don't usually reveal the origination hex but give you an overall "vector" as to where they are lobbing all that steel at you from. That feels right to me, but it's not a big advantage either way as long as your counter battery fire is going into unspotted "fire by the map" mode meaning it's liable to miss more often than not in any case and when it does land on the intended hex land for what...1/4 value?

IMO, the glitch, if one exists, is whether or not the artillery shooting at you is spotted. That's not exactly what I mean...any artillery under your LOS of course is going to be automatically spotted if it shoots...but for the stuff "over the hill" per se and beyond anyone's visual horizon...I believe in "real war" the shells start landing on your head like rain from an unknown direction.

I guess you can say the sounds or the flash could be spotted even at longer unspotted ranges and that is the origin of those little yellow lines?

I'm sure we have multiple genius's (genies?) who can tell us much more about the theory, practical application, and purpose.
Calling all you smart guys...

Regards,

Dan